News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Be careful what you post on Facebook

Started by Caliga, October 21, 2009, 11:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: HVC on October 21, 2009, 06:58:42 PM

I hate militant athiests amost as much as I hate most ex-smokers.

Remind me never to tell you what should be done with priests, pastors, rabis, imams and the rest of that sorry lot  :lol:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 21, 2009, 06:57:18 PM
Speaking of Cal's Jesus-phobia, I almost fired this one guy newly converted to Atheist-ism. He just wouldn't shut up.

I gave him a sermon from the mount and he got the word. To shut the fuck up.
I hate militant athiests amost as much as i hate most ex-smokers.

Never met a militiant atheist. Now, militiant religious people seem to be dime a dozen. Wouldn't hire a person with a cross necklace or a fish sign on their car's bumper sticker/hood, for example.

Do "militiant atheists" wear some special head-dresses? Or insist on eating only special foodstuffs? Or take days off to celebrate some militiant atheist holidays? Or carry special jewelry on their bodies?

I'm curious - it seems they exist in your country. :)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on October 21, 2009, 07:25:31 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 21, 2009, 06:57:18 PM
Speaking of Cal's Jesus-phobia, I almost fired this one guy newly converted to Atheist-ism. He just wouldn't shut up.

I gave him a sermon from the mount and he got the word. To shut the fuck up.
I hate militant athiests amost as much as i hate most ex-smokers.

Never met a militiant atheist. Now, militiant religious people seem to be dime a dozen. Wouldn't hire a person with a cross necklace or a fish sign on their car's bumper sticker/hood, for example.

Do "militiant atheists" wear some special head-dresses? Or insist on eating only special foodstuffs? Or take days off to celebrate some militiant atheist holidays? Or carry special jewelry on their bodies?

One told me a joke abotu the Bible. 

"When the Holy Spirit came to Mary he really CAME on Mary! HAHAHAHAHA"
PDH!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on October 21, 2009, 08:23:53 PM
Never met a militiant atheist.

Look in the mirror.

I think Marty may be a militant agnostic?

Though he's met Berkut, so still an inaccurate comment.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Marcin is a practicing Catholic. :huh:

His mom told him she'd die if he ever turned from the church, so thats yet another closet he is hiding in. :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Scipio

Quote from: Jaron on October 21, 2009, 08:33:35 PM
Marcin is a practicing Catholic. :huh:

His mom told him she'd die if he ever turned from the church, so thats yet another closet he is hiding in. :P
SANCTITY!
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Queequeg

They infest quite a few universities.  Just imagine a huge asshole pseudo-intellectual with a permanent smirk.  I dislike them a lot more than most varieties of religious fundementalists, as at least religious fundamentalists seem rooted in some interesting part of human history.  Its like talking to one of my Calvinist ancestors. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Tamas

I post a lot on facebook, out of boredom, mostly.

katmai

Quote from: Tamas on October 22, 2009, 02:15:59 AM

Yeah but you i can ignore, since most of it like Saladin's posts are in gibberish.

:P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

Quote from: katmai on October 22, 2009, 02:26:53 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 22, 2009, 02:15:59 AM

Yeah but you i can ignore, since most of it like Saladin's posts are in gibberish.

I do try to be international when possible

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on October 21, 2009, 08:35:13 PM

They infest quite a few universities.  Just imagine a huge asshole pseudo-intellectual with a permanent smirk.  I dislike them a lot more than most varieties of religious fundementalists, as at least religious fundamentalists seem rooted in some interesting part of human history.  Its like talking to one of my Calvinist ancestors.

Extremism in the defense of truth is no vice. ;)

Besides, I may be wrong, but I really think you guys are perceiving this from a perspective of a country that is dominated by public displays of religious beliefs.

Tell me, are these militant atheists people who jump on you out of blue, without even knowing your religious denomination (if any) and begin preaching that there is no god? Or do they mostly react to, say, people who bring Jesus (or Allah or whatever) into the conversation, or carry religious symbols (such as cross necklaces or Jesus fish bumper stickers) or insist on incorporating religious symbols and phrases into secular and public institutions?

If someone tells me something that is bullshit, I don't see anything wrong in telling him I consider this bullshit - there is nothing militant about it. I would react the same way to someone saying that there was no Holocaust, or carrying an armband with a nazi swastika on it. :huh:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on October 22, 2009, 03:43:25 AM
If someone tells me something that is bullshit, I don't see anything wrong in telling him I consider this bullshit - there is nothing militant about it. I would react the same way to someone saying that there was no Holocaust, or carrying an armband with a nazi swastika on it. :huh:

In the second case, I think you would qualify as militantly anti-Nazi, not that that's unusual at all.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 22, 2009, 03:50:42 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 22, 2009, 03:43:25 AM

In the second case, I think you would qualify as militantly anti-Nazi, not that that's unusual at all.

Ok just to clarify I meant someone who was already talking to me - I wouldn't go up to random people in the street wearing a swastika.