Main Menu

Be careful what you post on Facebook

Started by Caliga, October 21, 2009, 11:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on October 21, 2009, 05:11:39 PM
Fahdiz does post alot, but his posts are often amusing so I don't mind.  It's often AND inane that is kind of a no-no.
Ever since he got savagely heckled for posting a lot his count has dropped down to virtually nothing.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Facebook is damn dangerous.... and incredibly useful for that reason.

We weeded out four candidates for my old job based on their FB pages. And my kids aren't smart enough to realize how much I can see by being friends with their friends, who all invite me. :ph34r:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Martinus

Fahdiz does post alot, but his posts are often amusing so I don't mind.  It's often AND inane that is kind of a no-no.

Do I post often AND inanely?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on October 21, 2009, 05:38:59 PM

Do I post often AND inanely?

here? yes.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: merithyn on October 21, 2009, 05:32:44 PM

We weeded out four candidates for my old job based on their FB pages.

Pics of them dealing drugs? Posts reading "I love stealing from my employers"? Falling Down is listed as their favorite movie, and they talk about how much they can relate to that guy in it?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josquius

I keep facebook posting to once a dayish.
Sometimes I leave it a few days with nought and very rarely update it twice if I feel something warrants it.
I just don't get Twitter with its minute by minute updates.

QuoteFacebook is damn dangerous.... and incredibly useful for that reason.

We weeded out four candidates for my old job based on their FB pages. And my kids aren't smart enough to realize how much I can see by being friends with their friends, who all invite me. :ph34r:
How did you do that?
I know employers check facebook but still, what do they look for?
To have too professional a profile is just...wrong. Surely they expect employees to have a life and friends apart from work- I'd imagine its even very desirable.

But meh, I have high privacy settings on mine. And I don't post anything dodgy, if a friend catches a picture of me making a prat of myself when drunk they generally know better than to upload it.

QuoteMy RL friends and I use a private forum. I have nothing but contempt for Facebook.
Traditionally it has been awesome for intelligance gathering purposes.
Sadly women (and...everyone) these days largely tend to follow the philosophy I implimented years ago; looking for is a fucking stupid section that is never to be touched and relationship status should be left blank.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 21, 2009, 05:17:29 PM
Ever since he got savagely heckled for posting a lot his count has dropped down to virtually nothing.
I meant on FB, not here.

Caliga

Actually I have had consultants NOT get hired due to their Facebook and mySpace profiles. :yes:

Caliga

Ed Anger

Facebook and MySpace has made my background checks/Opposition Research much easier.

Martinus

I can't believe people are stupid enough to have their Facebook profiles available to anyone.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on October 21, 2009, 06:14:12 PM

Actually I have had consultants NOT get hired due to their Facebook and mySpace profiles. :yes:

I'm curious what people post on their profiles that causes that. Is this the case of them being stupid or you being over-conservative?

MadImmortalMan

I will admit to having checked prospective employees' Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, etc prior to hiring them. In some cases, I learned a great deal.   :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers