Main Menu

Be careful what you post on Facebook

Started by Caliga, October 21, 2009, 11:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Worried that it'll steal your soul?  :P

HVC

Quote from: miglia on October 23, 2009, 02:03:37 AM
Well, the ex-smoker and the ex-religious both went through the trouble of giving up something that was bad for them, so it's only natural they'd want to hold themselves up as an example. But I suppose I do understand how it's not nice to have others point out how silly you are - especially, as with religion, if that is how you were brought up and you can't help it, so I'd never in any way be militant in my encounters with the religious (I actually have two friends who are religious and I have never brought the subject up with either of them). I do, however, reserve the right to silently think less of them for believing in stories for the children and the old.
I don't dislike militant atheist because i'm religious, in fact i'm an atheist, i dislike them because they're annoying.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Iormlund

Quote from: merithyn on October 22, 2009, 10:08:09 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 22, 2009, 04:59:02 PM
UR DOIN IT WRONG.  :P

Seriously though, you can't weed out people based on their political views or that they drink alcohol or anything else like sexual orientation or age. You can get in big trouble for that.
We work in a middle school. We can weed them out if we don't feel that they can provide the right atmosphere and tolerance for our 600+ students. If WE'RE able to find their nearly-naked pics with alcohol freely displayed, then THE KIDS are going to be able to find it. :contract:

I don't get it. What's the problem with that?

One of my favorite teachers got drunk with us on a couple occasions after exams. None of us thought less of him for that.
As for the semi-naked thing, I certainly would have gone to class more if there had been more hott females with a tendency to wear as little cloth as possible around.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Iormlund on October 23, 2009, 07:52:15 AM

Seriously though, you can't weed out people based on their political views or that they drink alcohol or anything else like sexual orientation or age. You can get in big trouble for that.
We work in a middle school. We can weed them out if we don't feel that they can provide the right atmosphere and tolerance for our 600+ students. If WE'RE able to find their nearly-naked pics with alcohol freely displayed, then THE KIDS are going to be able to find it. :contract:

I don't get it. What's the problem with that?

One of my favorite teachers got drunk with us on a couple occasions after exams. None of us thought less of him for that.

In middle school?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

MadImmortalMan

As for the other, it's a matter of tolerance. We didn't weed them out because of their political beliefs, but rather because we felt their personalities wouldn't mesh well with the other three ladies in the office. It's no different than saying, "Well, that person was rude on the phone. I don't think we'll bother inviting them in for an interview." It's one way to show who you are to the world, and yes, that opens you up to be ignored during the hiring process.

I agree with you. But the EEOC doesn't.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Iormlund

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 23, 2009, 08:20:30 AM
In middle school?

I don't know what middle school is, but I can't see how that'd make a difference. I routinely saw naked women on beaches, pools or TV when I was a pre-teen and a teen (especially after Berlusconi entered the TV market here). I guess what I don't get is the nudity = bad thing. Unless we're talking about fatties, of course.
As for alcohol, I grew up in a society where there was a bar every few meters of sidewalk, in which everyone drank quite a bit in weddings, dinners and such in front of kids and teens gathered on the streets to get wasted every weekend. I doubt seeing a couple pics of a teacher hugging the bottle would have made that much of an impact.

Josquius

Quote from: Iormlund on October 23, 2009, 01:21:55 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 23, 2009, 08:20:30 AM
In middle school?

I don't know what middle school is, but I can't see how that'd make a difference. I routinely saw naked women on beaches, pools or TV when I was a pre-teen and a teen (especially after Berlusconi entered the TV market here). I guess what I don't get is the nudity = bad thing. Unless we're talking about fatties, of course.
As for alcohol, I grew up in a society where there was a bar every few meters of sidewalk, in which everyone drank quite a bit in weddings, dinners and such in front of kids and teens gathered on the streets to get wasted every weekend. I doubt seeing a couple pics of a teacher hugging the bottle would have made that much of an impact.

Such teachers earn more respect actually in my experience.
They're "down with the kids" and real people.

On hot teachers: that was always a case of internet standards in reverse that I recall.
Any woman under 30 and who was of a acceptable BMI level seemed to be classed as 'hot'.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

I've had dealings with the EEOC.  Boy oh boy was that fun :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on October 21, 2009, 08:35:13 PM
I dislike them a lot more than most varieties of religious fundementalists, as at least religious fundamentalists seem rooted in some interesting part of human history.  Its like talking to one of my Calvinist ancestors. 

Yeah I have spent alot of time at Universities and met alot of athiests and none of them really seem to fit this stereotype.  You basically are just describing a young person who thinks they know everything, which could work for any subject.  I have a hard time imagining somebody how is as consumed by Atheism as a religious fundamentalist is devoted to theism.  I mean unless they started attending atheists meetings at least once a week and started carrying out alot of atheist rituals and made sure they always let you know they hold a particular opinion solely because of their atheism.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on October 23, 2009, 03:02:46 PM
I've had dealings with the EEOC.  Boy oh boy was that fun :bleeding:

Why do you hate equal opportunity?! :angry:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Even more fun, sexual harassment depositions.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 23, 2009, 03:16:16 PM

Even more fun, sexual harassment depositions.

The thing that drives me nuts is how even baseless accusations of a sex crime can ruin somebody's career or business.  It truly is a devastating weapon in the wrong hands.

Drakken

Quote from: Iormlund on October 22, 2009, 05:09:23 PM
I think I may be the last human without a Facebook account. Certainly every single friend of mine has one.

We are the last humans remaining in a world of rhinoceros, cause I haven't one either.  :(

Jaron

Whats this "we" shit, Meri? Arent you like assistant to the librarian or something?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Jaron on October 23, 2009, 05:19:36 PM
Whats this "we" shit, Meri? Arent you like assistant to the librarian or something?

Maybe she's the school's NEA union rep. That would make her the real power.  :D
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers