News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFLatino Week VI

Started by CountDeMoney, October 13, 2009, 04:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 17, 2009, 10:40:07 AM
Hey, Neil...you'd have no problem pulling the trigger on this trade, would you?

QuoteThere has been speculation -- ESPN started the rumor but nothing confirmed by either team -- that the Ravens will send a second- and fifth-round pick to the Kansas City Chiefs for wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, who seems to have had a falling out with new coach Todd Haley.

Semi-related, was Heap playing hurt or something last week?  I hadn't watched him play much recently, but the way he played it looked like he was maybe past his prime. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 17, 2009, 10:40:07 AM
Hey, Neil...you'd have no problem pulling the trigger on this trade, would you?

QuoteThere has been speculation -- ESPN started the rumor but nothing confirmed by either team -- that the Ravens will send a second- and fifth-round pick to the Kansas City Chiefs for wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, who seems to have had a falling out with new coach Todd Haley.
Sure.  If you can't stop the opposing offence, at least you can outscore them.

Bowe would fill a spot that the Ravens have been looking to fill for years now.  Even though the Ravens usually make pretty good use of their 2nd rounder (Ray Rice and Chris Chester have worked out alright), Bowe would be allow Flacco to use his mega-arm.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 17, 2009, 11:35:28 AM
Semi-related, was Heap playing hurt or something last week?  I hadn't watched him play much recently, but the way he played it looked like he was maybe past his prime.

Heap, like the rest of the wideouts, was shut down by the Bengals D.  Up to that point, he'd been having his best season in years.

CountDeMoney

Someone us old guys remember from back in the day, taking handoffs from Vince Ferragamo.

QuoteOBITUARY: Running back Cullen Bryant, who spent 11 seasons with the Rams in Los Angeles, has died. He was 58.

Unknown to his family, Bryant had been under a doctor's care when he died Tuesday at his home in Colorado Springs, Colo., said his sister-in-law, Wanda E. Bryant.

Bryant was the Rams' second-round draft pick in 1973. He played with the team until 1982, was with the Seahawks in 1983 and 1984 and returned to the Rams for his last pro season in 1987.

CountDeMoney

And in other news, The Onion still has it out for Da Raidahs:

QuoteRaiders Achieve First Down

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ—In an improbable display of competence and a basic execution of football fundamentals, the Oakland Raiders stunned the football world Sunday when running back Michael Bush miraculously rushed for three yards against the Giants and succeeded in converting a first down.

The Raiders, who fearlessly faced a third-and-one situation on their own 22-yard-line, somehow gained the 36 inches needed for an elusive first down, despite numerous obstacles that included a professional NFL defense, owner Al Davis' incompetent personnel decisions, mediocre play-calling, and general ineptitude.

"I cannot believe what I just saw," said CBS commentator Greg Gumbel, adding that he was amazed the Raiders advanced the ball beyond the line of scrimmage, let alone gained a full 10 yards. "The fact that they were out on the field for three consecutive plays without turning the ball over is incredible. But a first down? An actual first down from the Oakland Raiders? You...I mean—I just, I can't..."

"I'm speechless," Gumbel added.

According to eyewitnesses, Raiders fans were equally astonished, reportedly shaking their heads in disbelief at the team's lack of incomplete passes, false starts, and holding penalties during the four-down series. Chuck Walker, a lifelong Raiders fan, said he was "proud" of his hometown team for defying the odds and avoiding mental errors for nearly 120 seconds.

"I've never seen them go that long without totally screwing up," said Walker, who believed the first down may have even slightly changed the game's momentum. "I was certain that with a yard to go they would send five receivers deep and [quarterback] JaMarcus [Russell] would chuck the ball to one of the Giants' defensive backs."

Continued Walker, "This will surely go down as the highlight of the Raiders' season."

NFL analyst Tom Jackson also registered his incredulity, saying that after he saw the Raiders gain nine yards on the first two plays of the series—a "miraculous achievement" in and of itself—he never could have imagined they'd gain the one yard necessary to begin another set of offensive downs. The fact that they actually gained two extra yards beyond the first-down marker, Jackson said, left everyone in ESPN studios beside themselves.

"On any given play there is so much potential for the Raiders to lose a significant number of yards that you never expect them to actually gain anything," Jackson said. "But they did it. They made a first down. And on three tries, like a normal pro football team."

Jackson went on to credit the accomplishment to the much-maligned offensive line, saying that not only did they show a full understanding of their blocking assignments, but they also ran the correct play when the ball was snapped.

"Looking at that play, you wonder how a team like the Raiders are 1-4," Jackson said. "Not for too long, of course, but you do wonder for a split second."

According to referee John Parry, the first down also caught members of the officiating crew off guard. Parry said that when Bush moved the chains, his instinct was to throw an unsportsmanlike behavior flag for taunting.

"Michael just got up off the ground and handed me the ball without trying to provoke anyone," Parry said. "Usually you'll find the Oakland guys are jumping back on the pile trying to jam a finger into someone's eye or just kicking wildly with their cleats."

"At first I thought we definitely missed something," Parry added. "But we reviewed the play and the league didn't find anything illegal. They got a first down fair and square."

The Raiders lost the game 44-7.

C.C.R.

Ed Anger

I see the UFL is drawing the big crowds.

The game was played before only 6,341 fans at AT&T Park in San Francisco. 
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Which Brett Favre will show up today: UberBrett that Favres you in the ass from 75 yards with -1.2 seconds left on the clock, or LULZ 3 INTS AINT WE HAVING FUN IN OUR WRANGLRS Favre.

Sigh...

Neil

10/18 1:00 ET At Washington                -6.5    Kansas City - Washington wins, KC covers
10/18 1:00 ET At Cincinnati                    -5.5    Houston  - Cincinnati wins
10/18 1:00 ET At Pittsburgh                    -14    Cleveland - Pittsubrugh wins
10/18 1:00 ET At Minnesota                      -3    Baltimore  - Baltimore wins
10/18 1:00 ET At Jacksonville                 -9.5    St. Louis  - Jacksonville wins
10/18 1:00 ET At New Orleans                  -3    NY Giants  - Giants win
10/18 1:00 ET Carolina                             -3    At Tampa Bay - Carolina wins
10/18 1:00 ET At Green Bay                 -13.5    Detroit  - Green Bay wins, Detroit covers
10/18 4:05 ET Philadelphia                     -14    At Oakland  - Philly wins
10/18 4:05 ET At Seattle                          -3    Arizona  - Arizona wins
10/18 4:15 ET At NY Jets                       -9.5    Buffalo - Jets win
10/18 4:15 ET At New England                -9    Tennessee - Cheatriots win
10/18 8:20 ET At Atlanta                          -3   Chicago - Chicago wins

Monday Night Football Point Spread

10/19 8:35 ET At San Diego                 -3.5     Denver  - San Diego wins
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Well, I think we know which Favre showed up.

Ed Anger

The Bungles are giving me the heebie-jeebies.

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Also: 

Watching Favre punch the Ravens in the nuts sucks (I want Ray Ray to pulverize Favre), and watching Brees rape the Giants sucks. The early games blow.

Fucking Sunday ticket

Neil

Was it just me, or were there two Vikings across the line when the ball was snapped?