News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFLatino Week VI

Started by CountDeMoney, October 13, 2009, 04:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 13, 2009, 06:56:00 PM
Which again begs the question: if you could go back & change events in 1983, would you give up your beloved Ravens to be able to keep the Colts?  :contract:

That's a trap question, and I shan't answer it.

Although, it's a lot like Vietnam:  until the last person that has a personal recollection of the Colts finally dies, that blue horseshoe will always hang over this city.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 13, 2009, 07:13:25 PM
I heard Unitas himself cut ties with the Colts and regarded the Ravens as the successor to the Baltimore Colts. True?

Unitas had nothing to do with the Colts organization or even the league to his dying day.  Never set foot in Indianapolis, never took so much as a phone call.  He was on the sidelines at every Ravens game.  Always.

His personal memorabilia never went to Indianapolis or Canton, it stayed here, where it belongs and where he called home.

All the former Colts are like that.  John Mackey still curses Irsay's name.  Lenny Moore and Artie Donovan have nothing to say about the Indianapolis Colts.  The only veteran the Indianapolis Colts can muster is Gary Hogeboom.   

Ted Marchibroda does Indy's radio work, because he's a nice, well-meaning, confused old guy.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 13, 2009, 07:28:37 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 13, 2009, 07:13:25 PM
I heard Unitas himself cut ties with the Colts and regarded the Ravens as the successor to the Baltimore Colts. True?

Modell and Irsay are both ripe wet fecal matter.

Espec. Modell.

You know better than that.  Cleveland was promised an expansion team before the ink on the Baltimore deal was dry.

Jim Brown will always be a Cleveland Brown.
Otto Graham will always be a Cleveland Brown.
Ozzie Newsome will always be a Cleveland Brown.
Brady Quinn is a Cleveland Brown today.  And you can thank Arthur B. Modell for that.

Your loyalty to the Brown family clouds your judgement, Cincitucky.

CountDeMoney

Anyway, it was a very well done film.  Mom called me afterwards with tears in her voice.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 13, 2009, 09:03:12 PM
Anyway, it was a very well done film.  Mom called me afterwards with tears in her voice.

Explains a lot & filled in some gaps for me.  I vaguely remember seeing the Mayflower trucks, and at the time it just didn't seem like a big deal-- the Baltimore Colts were now the Indy Colts.  I was a Bills fan so I didn't really pay attention.  Drunk Irsay = hilariousness.

I was prepared for the Modell deification, so that wasn't a surprise.  I have to say though that it seemed a bit-- foreign.  But then again, it's hard for me to get my mind around the concept of an NFL marching band.

And FWIW the wife thought it was a mockumentary :ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 13, 2009, 08:47:10 PM
All the former Colts are like that.  John Mackey still curses Irsay's name.  Lenny Moore and Artie Donovan have nothing to say about the Indianapolis Colts.  The only veteran the Indianapolis Colts can muster is Gary Hogeboom.   

And Art Schlichter bet 10K they would never move, poor schlub.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 13, 2009, 10:46:20 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 13, 2009, 08:47:10 PM

And Art Schlichter bet 10K they would never move, poor schlub.

You never going in against a drunken Jew when death is on the line.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on October 13, 2009, 10:18:35 PM
I was prepared for the Modell deification, so that wasn't a surprise.  I have to say though that it seemed a bit-- foreign.

Still not forgiven for firing the old man, now is he?  :P

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 14, 2009, 06:51:56 AM
Still not forgiven for firing the old man, now is he?  :P

:goodboy:

Paul Brown was one of the greatest men I ever had the privilege of meeting.  Nobody fires Paul Brown.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Meanwhile, in the "things that should have been done in Week 1" category, the Bungles finally cut Brad St. Louis last night.  If the new dude only screws up a handful of snaps this year, he'll be a net positive :rolleyes:

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 13, 2009, 08:49:47 PM
You know better than that.  Cleveland was promised an expansion team before the ink on the Baltimore deal was dry.

Jim Brown will always be a Cleveland Brown.
Otto Graham will always be a Cleveland Brown.
Ozzie Newsome will always be a Cleveland Brown.
Brady Quinn is a Cleveland Brown today.  And you can thank Arthur B. Modell for that.
Right, but without the move it could very well have been Cleveland winning that Super Bowl and not the Ravens.  Also, Ozzie would be using his powers of drafting and talent insight for Cleveland instead of the jokes that have been there since their rebirth.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on October 14, 2009, 03:50:10 PM
Right, but without the move it could very well have been Cleveland winning that Super Bowl and not the Ravens.  Also, Ozzie would be using his powers of drafting and talent insight for Cleveland instead of the jokes that have been there since their rebirth.

Not true.

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

derspiess

Doesn't look like the Bungles game is going to sell out.  I'm a little surprised-- after the Ravens game I figured there would be a rush on tickets early this week, even this week's game is vs. a non-rival.

As of yesterday afternoon they had to sell 7,000 tickets by Thursday to avoid a blackout.  I'm taking Tommy to his first game this week, so I went over to the stadium to get him some gear.  The ticket offices were: empty.

So MB will need to make the trip down here if he wants to see the game :contract:

Liep

Why does the NFL have that rule?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk