Anyone else looking forward to Dragon Age? (Spoilers and plot discussion here)

Started by Berkut, October 06, 2009, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Grallon on November 18, 2009, 04:32:29 PM
I'm not saying this product isn't good or well done - it is.  But as you said it's nothing new under the sun.  Even though chocolate cake or pecan pie are good - if it's all there ever is on the menu it gets old.

Well in my world there hasn't been a good single player game with fantasy tropes since Icewind Dale 2 so I was starvin for some chocolate cake.

But it does get a little old with the MMORPG market being all about the same thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on November 18, 2009, 04:32:29 PM
Even though chocolate cake or pecan pie are good - if it's all there ever is on the menu it gets old.

G.

:o

Take that back, you fucking heretic! :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2009, 04:32:40 PM
as for based on real countries...yeah I don't really think medieval Spain was over-run by assassins but maybe that is just me.

really? :unsure:

Oh and as far as what you can do, speak American. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DisturbedPervert

I'm not sure how one can really get tired of a gaming genre that has one entry every several years at best.  I want more classical fantasy games like this. 

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2009, 04:39:20 PM
really? :unsure:

The Castillian Crows?  Of course we never get to see Antiva so maybe it is Spain based.  Ferelden certainly does a good job imitating Anglo-Saxon England in its political structure...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on November 18, 2009, 04:40:24 PM
I'm not sure how one can really get tired of a gaming genre that has one entry every several years at best.  I want more classical fantasy games like this. 

I am hoping Bioware makes alot of Mass Effect and Dragon Age games.  They might not be the most innovative thing anybody every brought to the Sci Fi and Fantasy genres but they do them really well.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2009, 04:40:37 PM
The Castillian Crows?  Of course we never get to see Antiva so maybe it is Spain based.  Ferelden certainly does a good job imitating Anglo-Saxon England in its political structure...

I was more incredulous about your statement about medieval Spain.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2009, 04:39:20 PM
Oh and as far as what you can do, speak American. :angry:

The non-humans speak American!  It is because the Canadian company is trying to portray Americans as subhumans.

Martinus

Yeah, I don't get the "elves shoot bows and live in the forest" criticism, either. What are they supposed to do? Shoot fire out of their arse? That's the classic fantasy setting and I don't really see the point with fucking up with the classic races - on the other hand, the secondary layer (society etc.) was quite original - the whole gypsy/Jew take on elves; the ancient Japan/Rome society for the dwarves etc. - all of that has been creative, and in ways more intelligent than replacing elves with two-headed monkeys or something.

Plus it's the plot that matters - not the setting, as such. You could just as well level the same criticism about any novel or play set on the Earth - why have the same boring and tired humans where you could have blue fluorescent giants instead playing out, say, the American Civil War in North & South.  :rolleyes:

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2009, 04:44:22 PM
I was more incredulous about your statement about medieval Spain.

So...you agree that Antiva as described in the game doesn't sound much like Spain despite the fact they speak like Spaniards?

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2009, 04:45:51 PM
The non-humans speak American!  It is because the Canadian company is trying to portray Americans as subhumans.

:(

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2009, 04:46:31 PM
You could just as well level the same criticism about any historical novel - after all it uses the same tired old setting of, say, medieval Europe, rather than coming up with something "new".

I haven't seen one of your analogies in a while. :hug:

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2009, 04:46:35 PM
So...you agree that Antiva as described in the game doesn't sound much like Spain despite the fact they speak like Spaniards?

Quite the contrary. Who do you think El Cid was?

Martinus

I thought Antiva was more like Italy. The Spanish accent aside, the whole city-state culture with assassins and stuff are more like the Medicis and Borgias to me (yeah I know Borgias originally hailed from Spain but you get my drift).

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2009, 04:48:46 PM
Quite the contrary. Who do you think El Cid was?

I thought he was a general...or whatever the 11th century equivalent to a general is.