News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Why is costumers such a common mistake foreigners tend to make with English? Its just....silly.

So you can't do events n certain dates with the new games eh? Can you still do date ranges? Pretty easy to just do between 3rd of June and the 3rd of June then
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

In this case, they are right. Fuck determinism. I understand its less of an issue than with EU2/3 but still.

And VGN has my vote anyways, assuming Paradox will let it be released at all.

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on December 21, 2009, 11:32:21 AM

So you can't do events n certain dates with the new games eh? Can you still do date ranges? Pretty easy to just do between 3rd of June and the 3rd of June then

No. There's always a chance it won't fire at all.

Alexandru H.

This is better  :lmfao:

From Paradox Interactive Facebook page

QuoteThis is getting ridiculous! Third winner who has declined a trip to Stockholm! it's like we have leprosy or something! The search continues over the holidays!

Faeelin

Quote from: Maladict on December 21, 2009, 11:19:51 AM

From the Vicky2 forum:

QuoteEvent on set date - a petition.
I am well aware of the direction that EU3 has, that HoI3 has, and that Victoria 2 is going to have. I clearly understand that from PI's perspective, they've found a model that works, as in they get more costumers, the costumers are more content, and the games are overall better.
And I agree. Going back to the deterministic games would ruin the experience for most, and would probably be a bad business decision for PI.

But out there, there's still those who long for a deterministic game. A history book, so to speak. And in order to commode those needs, PI need to add a single trigger to the Clausewitz engine: The ability to force an event on a specific date.

This would be a gift to modders who want to make their game deterministic, and thus it would make the last group of costumers content with the game.

Thread is closed by King:

QuoteWe have higher priorities that tyring to cater for a tiny protion of our market.

That says it all really.  :(

I had no idea the player who didn't want Abraham Lincoln elected in 1859 were a tiny portion of their market.

sbr

It is a tiny portion of the market they WANT to have.  Unfortunately for them, the changes they are making won't bring enough new customers to make up for the loyal fan-base they told to go fuck themselves.

Syt

Quote from: sbr on December 21, 2009, 02:48:56 PM
It is a tiny portion of the market they WANT to have.  Unfortunately for them, the changes they are making won't bring enough new customers to make up for the loyal fan-base they told to go fuck themselves.

One should think they would have learned from the original "nothing is predetermined to make for GREAT multiplayer" EU3 approach.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Multiplayer FTL.
I hate the OTT priority given to that by so many companies these days at the expense of single player fun.
██████
██████
██████

sbr

Quote from: Syt on December 21, 2009, 02:51:02 PM
Quote from: sbr on December 21, 2009, 02:48:56 PM

One should think they would have learned from the original "nothing is predetermined to make for GREAT multiplayer" EU3 approach.

I have no problem with them deciding to go with the sandbox style game approach, it is their company.  The institutional arrogance that seems to have developed there though is amazing.  To shit on the small but loyal group of fans--who would previously buy any game they made, whether they would play it or not--by not even acknowledge the idea of a trigger for a specific day is ridiculous.

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on December 21, 2009, 03:15:21 PM
Multiplayer FTL.
I hate the OTT priority given to that by so many companies these days at the expense of single player fun.

I guess that was just an honest miscalculation by Paradox: one of the reasons for EU2's longevity and long run of post release patches was a hardcore group of MPers (of which Johan was a part) which may have led them to believe that those are their new target audience for EU3.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: Alexandru H. on December 21, 2009, 02:10:32 PM

QuoteThis is getting ridiculous! Third winner who has declined a trip to Stockholm! it's like we have leprosy or something! The search continues over the holidays!

If I win I'd take them up on the trip to Stockholm. But...do I have to like, hang out with them, or can I do my own thing?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Quote from: Josephus on December 21, 2009, 03:43:06 PM
Quote from: Alexandru H. on December 21, 2009, 02:10:32 PM

If I win I'd take them up on the trip to Stockholm. But...do I have to like, hang out with them, or can I do my own thing?

I think they will be hosting/helping to organize a convention, and the winner would be like presented there / asked to participate as "voice of the gamer" or somesuch. Still I dont see why people would decline this.  :huh: The first expected his child to be born around the travelling time, no info was given for the other two Razgorovies.

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on December 21, 2009, 11:33:43 AM
In this case, they are right. Fuck determinism. I understand its less of an issue than with EU2/3 but still.

And VGN has my vote anyways, assuming Paradox will let it be released at all.

I think Johan resists determinism as an excuse for stupid things that happen in his games.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Faeelin on December 21, 2009, 02:33:01 PM

From the Vicky2 forum:

I am well aware of the direction that EU3 has, that HoI3 has, and that Victoria 2 is going to have. I clearly understand that from PI's perspective, they've found a model that works, as in they get more costumers, the costumers are more content, and the games are overall better.
And I agree. Going back to the deterministic games would ruin the experience for most, and would probably be a bad business decision for PI.

But out there, there's still those who long for a deterministic game. A history book, so to speak. And in order to commode those needs, PI need to add a single trigger to the Clausewitz engine: The ability to force an event on a specific date.

This would be a gift to modders who want to make their game deterministic, and thus it would make the last group of costumers content with the game.

QuoteWe have higher priorities that tyring to cater for a tiny protion of our market.

I had no idea the player who didn't want Abraham Lincoln elected in 1859 were a tiny portion of their market.

Those are also the same players who apparently want the Crimean War and Franco-Prussian wars to happen on the exact same day, every game, even if Russia has been reduced to 5 provinces and Prussia has just finished a long and exhausting war with Austria.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

sbr

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 21, 2009, 06:39:27 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on December 21, 2009, 02:33:01 PM

From the Vicky2 forum:

Those are also the same players who apparently want the Crimean War and Franco-Prussian wars to happen on the exact same day, every game, even if Russia has been reduced to 5 provinces and Prussia has just finished a long and exhausting war with Austria.

That seems silly to me too; but there is a substantial number of loyal fans who want that; Paradox, through King, just told that group of people to go fuck off, regardless of how many of their games they had bought previously.  I have no idea about programming of a game but would it really be that hard to add a trigger to allow events to fire on a certain day?