News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Would be interesting to see where the shift happened.
Someone mentioned it happened when Patric left, which could very well be.
You, Pat, talk about when HOI came, which could also very well be.

I've always noticed two events:
1. The week before Vickie came out, officially, Johan went nuts when he found out people were pirating the game. It seemed like every newbie onboard was suddenly banned and called a pirate.

2. A year or so after EU2 had been patched about 9 or 10 times, mostly a labour of love, word started to get out that Paradox games required numerous patches to be fixed. This sort of became a bit of a bad PR thing, and Johan started to A) Limit the number of patches and B) Limit access to bug forums and the like to "registered" buyers.

All of these are minor events, but all four of them put together, and I think we're on to when Paradox started to change, for the worse. To those I'd also add, Johan surrounding himself with YesMen.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 15, 2009, 02:08:48 PM
It's completely fine and acceptable (and necessary) for Johan to cut of discussion and say he's going with clergy.

Disagree. Why is the game developer moderating?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Fireblade

Quote from: Pat on December 16, 2009, 10:11:54 PM
Paradox didn't use to treat their community like shit, but now they do. I can't help but to think, however, that it is related to their community becoming shittier. It used to be a small homogenous group of people all sharing an interest in the history of the world between ca. 1500-1800, generally quite well-read and erudite people, at least considerably moreso than the average, which created a certain atmosphere of kinship and alikeness in type of person even if not in opinion. Then they released HoI and attracted a very different demographic. It's like sitting down in the pub with your mates arguing a shared interest in a relaxed setting, only to find you can't hear what you're saying to each other because some people without any manners just arrived screaming the stupidest things to each other on the top of their lungs. And the patron is no longer smiling, he's angry and rude to people.

I blame the Balkantards (that includes you, Tamas)

Tamas

Quote from: Fireblade on December 17, 2009, 12:00:53 AM
Quote from: Pat on December 16, 2009, 10:11:54 PM
Paradox didn't use to treat their community like shit, but now they do. I can't help but to think, however, that it is related to their community becoming shittier. It used to be a small homogenous group of people all sharing an interest in the history of the world between ca. 1500-1800, generally quite well-read and erudite people, at least considerably moreso than the average, which created a certain atmosphere of kinship and alikeness in type of person even if not in opinion. Then they released HoI and attracted a very different demographic. It's like sitting down in the pub with your mates arguing a shared interest in a relaxed setting, only to find you can't hear what you're saying to each other because some people without any manners just arrived screaming the stupidest things to each other on the top of their lungs. And the patron is no longer smiling, he's angry and rude to people.

I blame the Balkantards (that includes you, Tamas)

:rolleyes: First, it's not only Balkantards, western HoI fans are also horrible, and secondly, I was there before EU1 got released. So STFU. I do agree with Pat though.

dps

Something else that's different now--and I'm not sure if it's a symptom of what we're talking about or not--but there's no stickied thread of known bugs in the EUIII Bug Report sub-Forum.  I posted asking AndrewT for such a thread, and he replied that he had wanted to create one, but Johan had said no.  He didn't know why Johan didn't want one, which kind of makes me think that either he had asked and Johan had given him a "because I said so" type answer, or that he had been afraid to ask why.

Josquius

Oh, and I dunno if this has been mentioned elsewhere but I uncovered something which could be in Victoria when I was looking for thesis projects on some Swedish site- it looks like paradox want an achievements system ala xbox 360 implemented into their future games.
I hate that system of course but it would be interesting to see what they count as achievements; starting the game and world conquest with a one province minor being two extreme givens
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on December 20, 2009, 07:33:47 AM
Oh, and I dunno if this has been mentioned elsewhere but I uncovered something which could be in Victoria when I was looking for thesis projects on some Swedish site- it looks like paradox want an achievements system ala xbox 360 implemented into their future games.
I hate that system of course but it would be interesting to see what they count as achievements; starting the game and world conquest with a one province minor being two extreme givens

please no :bleeding:

The Brain

Is Johan out of control? The things I hear from the Inner Station gives me the creeps.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: Tamas on December 20, 2009, 08:00:56 AM
Why not?  They work.  Between achievements and piracy, the consoles have pushed the PC to the point where it's an afterthought.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Faeelin

Quote from: The Brain on December 20, 2009, 08:59:23 AM
Is Johan out of control? The things I hear from the Inner Station gives me the creeps.

Inner station?

Tamas

Quote from: Neil on December 20, 2009, 04:33:02 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 20, 2009, 08:00:56 AM
Why not?  They work.  Between achievements and piracy, the consoles have pushed the PC to the point where it's an afterthought.

Achievments are pathetic. "you managed to start the game! ACHIEVEMENT!" "you pushed a button on the controller! ACHIEVMENT!"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: Tamas on December 20, 2009, 04:39:30 PM
Achievments are pathetic. "you managed to start the game! ACHIEVEMENT!" "you pushed a button on the controller! ACHIEVMENT!"
Well, that's what everybody likes.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on December 20, 2009, 04:33:02 PM

Eh I like being able to download games.  Computers are so cheap now and consoles so overpriced you do not even save any money and you can use your computer for lots of other things.  Oh and finally consoles break easily.

Consoles =  fail.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

From the Vicky2 forum:

QuoteEvent on set date - a petition.
I am well aware of the direction that EU3 has, that HoI3 has, and that Victoria 2 is going to have. I clearly understand that from PI's perspective, they've found a model that works, as in they get more costumers, the costumers are more content, and the games are overall better.
And I agree. Going back to the deterministic games would ruin the experience for most, and would probably be a bad business decision for PI.

But out there, there's still those who long for a deterministic game. A history book, so to speak. And in order to commode those needs, PI need to add a single trigger to the Clausewitz engine: The ability to force an event on a specific date.

This would be a gift to modders who want to make their game deterministic, and thus it would make the last group of costumers content with the game.

Thread is closed by King:

QuoteWe have higher priorities that tyring to cater for a tiny protion of our market.

That says it all really.  :(