News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Sims 4 announced

Started by Syt, May 07, 2013, 12:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

In a shocking move that absolutely surprises no one, Sims 4 will be made.

http://www.ea.com/news/maxis-unveils-the-sims-4

QuoteToday we are revealing to our top fans the fact that The Sims™ 4 is coming to PC and Mac in 2014.

The Sims franchise is fueled by the passion and creativity of its millions of fans around the world. Their continued devotion to the franchise ignites the fire of creativity of the team at The Sims Studio, driving them to continually improve and innovate on one of the world's most successful simulation game that has sold more than 150 million copies worldwide.

More information will be revealed later today here on The Beat, so stay tuned

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/14524/article/the-sims-4-will-have-built-in-modding-tools-offline-play/

QuoteHot on the heels of Will Wright's comments that SimCity's server issues were inexcusable, EA has announced ahead of any speculation that the upcoming game The Sims 4 will be an offline experience without an always-online requirement.

"The Sims franchise is fueled by the passion and creativity of its millions of fans around the world," wrote EA in their announcement of the game. "Their continued devotion to the franchise ignites the fire of creativity of the team at The Sims Studio, driving them to continually improve and innovate on one of the world's most successful simulation game that has sold more than 150 million copies worldwide."

The publisher emphasized that players would experience The Sims 4 as an offline experience.

"The Sims 4 celebrates the heart and soul of the Sims themselves, giving players a deeper connection with the most expressive, surprising and charming Sims ever in this single-player offline experience," said the publisher, which took a lot of heat for forcing SimCity players to log onto the servers just to play what amounts to a single-player game.

That being said, players of The Sims 4 will be able to "effortlessly share their creativity with friends and fans" using the game's new tools, which will invite players to personalize and mod their world. Such features were previously unavailable to fans of the series, who were forced to resort to third-party tools to make the effort of modifying the game.

"The Sims 4 encourages players to personalize their world with new and intuitive tools while offering them the ability to effortlessly share their creativity with friends and fans."

The Sims 4 is set for release on the PC and Mac in 2014.

Guess someone got a bit burned and doesn't dare having the SimCity experience repeated with millions of rabid Sims players.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Wasn't it though that EA still sold SimCity fairly decently?

At any rate, nope not interested in this.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

It probably sold decently, and there will no doubt be a certain player base that will stick with the game. However, a big part of the Sims-franchise these days is selling DLC packages (Sims 3 expansions go for $30-$40 more often than not; not t mention the many small content packs) - and if you're unable to retain your players there's little chance of selling those.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DontSayBanana

This could backfire.  I'm interested, but gonna have to see what kind of features 4 brings to the table.  3 was honestly enough of a step backward that I've been thinking of dusting off a copy of 2+OFB.
Experience bij!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on May 07, 2013, 07:28:09 AM
What could backfire?

There are a big camp of Sims players who feel like the feature set peaked with Sims 2.  4's going to have to bring some major game-changers to the table (and I would not consider first-party content creation a game-changer; it's not as if making mods for Sims 3 has a particularly steep learning curve).
Experience bij!

garbon

Oh by backfire do you simply mean not sell as well as previous titles? I mean next year will be about 5 years from the last Sims installment - so they are on track to come out with another version (unless you think they should just continue to pump out Sims 3 stuff packs).

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on May 07, 2013, 07:41:08 AM
Oh by backfire do you simply mean not sell as well as previous titles? I mean next year will be about 5 years from the last Sims installment - so they are on track to come out with another version (unless you think they should just continue to pump out Sims 3 stuff packs).

Honestly, I think if they're going to keep up the hybrid model they've had, they need to shorten the time between installments.  We're talking losing 10 EPs' worth of expanded features; going from Sims 2 to 3 and losing all the expansion features was painful- I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that 3 would have failed if they hadn't gotten World Adventures out when they did.

The trick with 2 was that the expectation of features wasn't really there so much, so Open For Business being the massive "must-have" expansion extended its life cycle by quite a bit.
Experience bij!

Syt

DSB has a point of losing features by going from an expanded game to a base game.

Still, Sims 3 had a few arguments that differentiated it far enough from Sims 2 to warrant an additional purchase - e.g. city wide story progression/aging (sure, nraas does a much better job at that, but still), seamlessly travelling around town and modelling NPC Sims' actvities ... it added a new layer of immersion to the whole game, together with reasonably improved/evolved graphics (not gonna call it a revolution).

I'm curious what Sims 4 is planned to add to the base game ... and what (if any) otherwise expansion pack gameplay is in from the start. Because, seriously, getting the same old Seasons, University, Nightlife, Pets etc. for the third time (or forth? don't know the Sims 1 expansions) is starting to become a bit grating.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 07, 2013, 07:48:28 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 07, 2013, 07:41:08 AM

Honestly, I think if they're going to keep up the hybrid model they've had, they need to shorten the time between installments.  We're talking losing 10 EPs' worth of expanded features; going from Sims 2 to 3 and losing all the expansion features was painful- I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that 3 would have failed if they hadn't gotten World Adventures out when they did.

The trick with 2 was that the expectation of features wasn't really there so much, so Open For Business being the massive "must-have" expansion extended its life cycle by quite a bit.

Gotcha. However, I wonder if you are looking back in hindsight a bit differently than it was at the time.  Re-checking The Sims wiki, the first Sims had 7 expansion packs - which included many features like pets that did not make into Sims 2 until later expansion packs.  I remember being annoyed around the time of Sims 2 that I was going to have to pay extra for features that I'd already paid extra for in The Sims.

So really what you describe happening between 2 and 3 happened between 1 and 2.  That said, I do agree that 4 will have some extra fatigue in having "been there, done that, so why should I give you more money?"

Martinus

My problem with Sims is that the concept of the game (and expansions) sounds cool to me, but then I get very quickly bored with them. So yeah, not sure if I will be getting it this time. The expansion pack fatigue is also a problem (especially as they are priced almost the same as the original game, and often more than other standalone games).

Grallon

I've finally run into a thick wall of boredom with DA Inquisition so I dolled out a fair amount of money to try 'The Sims 4 - along with all it's expansions.  I tired the first one but quickly got bored with all the micro management of the little moppets' needs.  With number 4 it's more of the same I must say.  However the builder portion - the 'Lego' aspect I call it - is fantastic.  And Lego really is an apt name - or perhaps ship modeling would be even more accurate.  I *love* the flexibility of the tools provided.  If you add to this the gazillion cosmetic mods available it becomes something so engrossing I literally forget the hour of day.  In fact, I've made a manor house I'm quite pleased with.  Sadly it's unplayable thanks to the utter stupidity of the mannequins programmed by EA\Maxis.  But the act of creation itself...  I find myself discovering I might have an eye for interior decoration!  Some of the rooms I made were quite inspired.  Anyway I'll recommend the 'Lego' aspect of the game any time - just don't bother with the 'Barbie' side of it.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel