News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US East Coast trip - Tips welcome

Started by The Larch, August 18, 2009, 02:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on September 18, 2009, 08:18:34 AM
Ithaca, Tompkins County, with a possible visit to Niagara in the package.
Everyone says the Canadian side of the falls is much better.

The Larch

Philly and DC connoisseurs, how are this areas for accomodation purposes?

- Philly: Bank street, between Chestnut and Market and the 2nd and 3rd.
- DC: 11th street, between K & L streets or 18th street between Belmont & Columbia, both adresses with the NW tag.

Caliga

The Philly location sounds like it's near Penn's Landing, between the Liberty Bell and environs and the river.  Should be fine.  Tons of shit within walking distance.

Less familiar with DC but the second DC location looks from Google Maps like it's in Adams Morgan.  IIRC that area is a bit seedy and populated mostly by Salvadorans and gay black dudes... tons of ethnic restaurants though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Adams Morgan is OK if you want booze or rare Ethiopean cuisine.  But I'd recommend staying in nearby Georgetown over in the Morgan.  Like Calsy said, it caters to seedy college students and Martinus'.
PDH!

The Larch

Thanks for the advice about Adams Morgan. What about the other location? I'm leaning towards it, as the hostel in Adams Morgan seems to be full. It seems to be right next to the Cato Institute. :libraritard:

Caliga

*checks Google maps*

Well, it's much closer to the White House and all that crap.  IIRC that area is a complete dead zone at night, though (since 90% of the buildings are government offices)... not sure if that matters to you or not.

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on September 24, 2009, 05:04:20 AM

- DC: 11th street, between K & L streets or 18th street between Belmont & Columbia, both adresses with the NW tag.
The Philly location sounds like it's in historic district, if I remember Philly geography correctly.  I stayed over in that area for a couple of days.  There is plenty of neat American history stuff to look at in the very immediate area.

Caliga

Yeah... it's probably only a few blocks from Elfreth's Alley, for example.

katmai

Philly location is decent area, lots of restaurants and shops in walking area, it's also down by where a cousin of mine is living.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Larch

Quote from: katmai on September 24, 2009, 11:40:57 AM
Philly location is decent area, lots of restaurants and shops in walking area, it's also down by where a cousin of mine is living.

So, are you finally going to visit your family?  :P

katmai

Quote from: The Larch on September 24, 2009, 11:42:28 AM
Quote from: katmai on September 24, 2009, 11:40:57 AM

So, are you finally going to visit your family?  :P

I wish i was :(
But didn't make much money this year at fair so can't afford to fill up my gas tank, let alone buy a plane ticket. :lol: :cry:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

frunk

Quote from: The Larch on September 18, 2009, 06:18:13 AM
A bump, in order to start setting things up for good now that I have a clearer schedule, for those interested in some kind of meet:

- I'll be staying in NYC from september the 26th (saturday) to october the 2nd (Friday). Probably the best day for a meet would be between Monday and Thursday.
- I'll be Upstate for the following weekend (3-4), but with very limited mobility so I don't think I'd be able to work something those days.
- I'll go down to Philly and Washington after that, leaving NY on the 5th (monday) and going back there on the 9th (friday). Those of you who were up for a meet there, please give me some feedback on possible dates, in order to book hotels in those cities for the particular timeframe. My idea is spending one day in Philly and 2-3 in DC, leaving some margin for a potential Baltimore run.

Looking forward to hearing from you.  ;)

Just noticed this message.  I could do an NYC meetup, this weekend is better for me but Monday or Wednesday night would also work.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on September 24, 2009, 05:04:20 AM

The 11th street joint is much closer to the Metro.  Plus you have all the hookers on 14th street and the transvestites down on Penn.

Admiral Yi

On second thought the 18th street location might be close enough to Dupont Circle Metro.  Much better ambiance.

Admiral Yi

OK Larchman, here's the choice.  If you want to blitz through the sights with Teutonic efficiency, stay at 11th street.  If you want to laze in the cafes with Gaullic joie de vivre, stay at 18th street.  If you go wih the latter you'll be looking at maybe a 20 minute walk back to your digs from the National Zoo Metro stop, very safe walk, maybe 9/10.  Or 30 minutes uphill from Dupont Circle, 10/10.

Couple other things: if a black guy carrying a gas can says he needs $5 to get his car started, he really doesn't.  If a black guy says he needs $5 to get his car out of the impound lot, he really doesn't.  If a black guy says he needs $5 to catch a bus back to bible college in North Carolina, he really doesn't.

For a pretty good Salvadorean rendition of Tex-Mex cuisine, check out Loreal Plaza on the east side of 18th street.  There's always a line, have a Margarita while you wait.  There used to be a Brazilian bar on 18th right below Columbia; have a mojito or caipiriha and impress the white girls with your Spanish accent.