News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US East Coast trip - Tips welcome

Started by The Larch, August 18, 2009, 02:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

There's a distinctive lack of afro'ed gentlemen, sassy ladies and funky riffs when I walk down the street, that's true.

As for the meet, I think it'll be better next week, personally. Is next monday ok for you?

frunk

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

frunk

Are we still planning to meet tonight?

frunk

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Larch

Hi there, sorry for the blackout. I just came back from upstate today and didn't really have time to get online before now. If you're still able to make it tomorrow or something, I'm available. Sorry for not appearing before so we could work things out today.

frunk

I could do today but tomorrow is preferable.  If TMM has a strong preference we can go with that.

The Larch

Quote from: frunk on October 06, 2009, 07:36:32 AM
I could do today but tomorrow is preferable.  If TMM has a strong preference we can go with that.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to make it tomorrow, sorry.

I guess we can start planning. You said you were arriving at Grand Central, so I guess we're looking at meeting somewhere in Midtown. Any preference? Around which time?

frunk

The best train for me is scheduled at Grand Central at 6:45, which means I should be able to get wherever in Midtown or Central Park area by 7:00.  There's another train an hour later which I could also catch.

The Larch

Quote from: frunk on October 06, 2009, 11:05:47 AM
The best train for me is scheduled at Grand Central at 6:45, which means I should be able to get wherever in Midtown or Central Park area by 7:00.  There's another train an hour later which I could also catch.

For me both possibilities are ok, it's up to you and your train schedule for going back home. Let's wait for TMM's input, and pre-empt a meeting at, say, 19:15-19:30 in order to have some time margin. Where can we meet?

frunk

Sent you a PM.  As for where to meet, we could plan on a bar then move to somewhere with food.  No idea on bars, there's a lot of places along 42nd/Broadway.  For food, a friend of mine raves about the Afghan Kebab House for inexpensive, quality food but I've never been.  If you want something slightly more expensive there's Queen of Sheba, an Ethiopian restaurant that I'm fond of.

A lot of the places I used to eat at when I lived/worked in Manhattan are out of business so I'm afraid I'm all out of date.  The last few times I've had pretty good luck with wandering around until I hit somewhere that looks good.

Caliga

Quote from: frunk on October 06, 2009, 11:56:10 AM
Sent you a PM.  As for where to meet, we could plan on a bar then move to somewhere with food.  No idea on bars, there's a lot of places along 42nd/Broadway.  For food, a friend of mine raves about the Afghan Kebab House for inexpensive, quality food but I've never been.  If you want something slightly more expensive there's Queen of Sheba, an Ethiopian restaurant that I'm fond of.

Hilarious.  I went to an Ethiopian restaurant called "Queen of Sheba" this weekend here in Louisville.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Larch

Quote from: frunk on October 06, 2009, 11:56:10 AM

A lot of the places I used to eat at when I lived/worked in Manhattan are out of business so I'm afraid I'm all out of date.  The last few times I've had pretty good luck with wandering around until I hit somewhere that looks good.

PM read and answered. I'll send another one to TMM to inform him and give him my number, as I'll have to log out soonish and won't be online until after the meet. Personally I'm cool with either of the dining possibilities. As for the bar I don't know well the area, but I'll try to go there earlier and pick one before you arrive, and then message it to you.

Edit: After checking the places, I've realized there's some place we can meet. McGee's, it's on 55th Street, nearby those two places. Let's make it there at 19:15, then?  :)

Ed Anger

So, any explosive diarrhea from greasy American food yet?  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive