News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US East Coast trip - Tips welcome

Started by The Larch, August 18, 2009, 02:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Also, if a black guy wants you to buy some candy, he really doesn't.

The Larch

Quote from: frunk on September 24, 2009, 12:07:39 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 18, 2009, 06:18:13 AM
A bump, in order to start setting things up for good now that I have a clearer schedule, for those interested in some kind of meet:

- I'll be staying in NYC from september the 26th (saturday) to october the 2nd (Friday). Probably the best day for a meet would be between Monday and Thursday.
- I'll be Upstate for the following weekend (3-4), but with very limited mobility so I don't think I'd be able to work something those days.
- I'll go down to Philly and Washington after that, leaving NY on the 5th (monday) and going back there on the 9th (friday). Those of you who were up for a meet there, please give me some feedback on possible dates, in order to book hotels in those cities for the particular timeframe. My idea is spending one day in Philly and 2-3 in DC, leaving some margin for a potential Baltimore run.

Looking forward to hearing from you.  ;)

Just noticed this message.  I could do an NYC meetup, this weekend is better for me but Monday or Wednesday night would also work.

Sure, I'm all for it. :cheers: Let's say wednesday to have some room for organization. Is any other languishista around the Big Apple interested? DGuller? Minsky?

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 24, 2009, 02:15:42 PM
OK Larchman, here's the choice.  If you want to blitz through the sights with Teutonic efficiency, stay at 11th street.  If you want to laze in the cafes with Gaullic joie de vivre, stay at 18th street.  If you go wih the latter you'll be looking at maybe a 20 minute walk back to your digs from the National Zoo Metro stop, very safe walk, maybe 9/10.  Or 30 minutes uphill from Dupont Circle, 10/10.

The place at the 18th is apparently full for the days I'll be there, so I'm forced to go Teutonic, I guess.

The Larch

Ok, I'm starting to get nervous/freak out. It's almost 24 hours until I get on the plane for NY and I'm having problems checking the status of my ESTA application in order to print it.  :pinch: :frusty:

Should I re-apply, even if the recommended period for doing it has already passed, or risk ending up in Guantanamo due to a defective application if I don't do so? I have my application number written down and I clearly remember the site telling me I was approved.

KRonn

Quote from: The Larch on September 25, 2009, 09:12:35 AM
Ok, I'm starting to get nervous/freak out. It's almost 24 hours until I get on the plane for NY and I'm having problems checking the status of my ESTA application in order to print it.  :pinch: :frusty:

Should I re-apply, even if the recommended period for doing it has already passed, or risk ending up in Guantanamo due to a defective application if I don't do so? I have my application number written down and I clearly remember the site telling me I was approved.
I don't know what you need to do to fix this problem; good luck. I'm sure you'll get it resolved.

But as for Gitmo, don't worry about that... too much.... Government is shutting it down... slowly... eventually. So, um, you won't have to worry about being sent there.... for too long a time.  :unsure:  And they hardly ever water board anymore. 

Though if they find out you post on Languish, and THEY will, all bets could be off.    :menace:

On the plus side though, if you do get sent there, you could get released (eventually), and wind up in Bermuda, or the Samoas, or some other paradise type location!

lustindarkness

Relax, it'll be fine, hurricane season is almost over in Cuba anyway in case it does not.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

Yeah, don't sweat it.  Miss Venezuela liked it there and they say the prisoners all eat well.

The Larch

Everything is sorted out now, so I don't think I'll be in danger after all.  :lol:

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on September 25, 2009, 03:36:19 PM
Everything is sorted out now, so I don't think I'll be in danger after all.  :lol:

Only from the food.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

You'll likely end up walking through or around (depending on how much you get creeped out by homeless guys) McPherson Square Park.  That's where Arnie chases the towelhead on his horse in True Lies.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Larch on September 24, 2009, 05:42:22 PM
Sure, I'm all for it. :cheers: Let's say wednesday to have some room for organization. Is any other languishista around the Big Apple interested? DGuller? Minsky?

monday is yom kippur, no chance.

Wednesday is shaping up to be a brutal day scheduling-wise.  it is possible I could make an appearance + quick drink, if the locale is around midtown.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Larch

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 25, 2009, 05:34:03 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 24, 2009, 05:42:22 PM

monday is yom kippur, no chance.

Wednesday is shaping up to be a brutal day scheduling-wise.  it is possible I could make an appearance + quick drink, if the locale is around midtown.

And here I was, wondering why I hadn't seen any orthodox jews on the street yet.  :lol:

If wednesday is rough, I can do any evening until thursday, and I'll still be a couple of days next week.

Greetings from Harlem.  :ph34r:

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

frunk

Wednesday is still best for me unless we do next week.  Midtown is fine as I'll be coming into Grand Central.

The Minsky Moment

Either post the Wednesday venue here or PM it to me - I will play it by ear.  Tonight isn't going to work.

And Larch - as you probably have now figured out, Harlem is not quite as gritty today as it was in the heydey of blaxploitation cinema.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson