News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US East Coast trip - Tips welcome

Started by The Larch, August 18, 2009, 02:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

So, guys, I'm aiming for a late september-early october pond crossing, in order to visit some friends in NY (city and state) and doind some travelling around the East Coast. My plan is to hit, at least, Boston, Philly and Washington, besides NY itself and the upstate part where I'll be visiting my buddies.

Which are interesting targets for a two week trip, besides those cities I mentioned? Tips? Prospective meets?

I'll be glad to have a beer with any of you that may be nearby. :cheers:

Valmy

Don't you want to visit us down here in your former empire?  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Man, that woulda been a neat get-together had I not relocated from Boston.

OTOH you could always include Kentucky in your itinerary.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 02:58:50 PM
Man, that woulda been a neat get-together had I not relocated from Boston.

OTOH you could always include Kentucky in your itinerary.  :cool:

Do you proudly wave the Spanish flag in front of your state capital?  I think not.  He should visit Texas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadImmortalMan

What part of Upstate? Albany/Adirondack or Rochester/Buffalo?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Why would a sane person visit Tejas, willingly?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2009, 03:02:26 PM
:huh:

I've spent like a total of 4 weeks in Texas and I loved every minute of it.... though I could probably do without the heat/humidity of June in Houston (too hot even for me).

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2009, 03:02:26 PM

To be awed and amazed by our high level of sophistication and culture of course.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 03:03:30 PM
I've spent like a total of 4 weeks in Texas and I loved every minute of it.... though I could probably do without the heat/humidity of June in Houston (too hot even for me).

This summer has been the hottest summer on record...and the dryest in 50 years...and of course it is somehow still humid.  We even got an article in the Economist talking about how many billions of dollars the terrible weather was costing us.

If this was typical I would move.  I cannot believe how horrid this summer has been.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 03:03:30 PM
:huh:

I said sane; you choose to live in Kentucky.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Seriously -

You ask what SANE person and Caliga jumps right in like he is in any way qualified to be in that category.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2009, 03:05:00 PMThis summer has been the hottest summer on record...and the dryest in 50 years...and of course it is somehow still humid.  We even got an article in the Economist talking about how many billions of dollars the terrible weather was costing us.

If this was typical I would move.  I cannot believe how horrid this summer has been.

That's amusing.  This July was the *coldest* on record here... it never even broke 90F! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Kentucky and Texas really aren't that far apart, so it makes no sense to me.... :unsure:

The Larch

Sorry, Texas and Kentucky seem to be a bit too far away. They'll have to wait for another trip.

@MiM: Central NY, according to wiki. Tompkins County.

Capetan Mihali

What are you interested in?  Obviously, there are a number of things to do in each city listed.  Are you a nature person?  Maybe explore the Catskills or Adirondacks, depending on where you are upstate.

I'd have a drink with you in Phila. if there's any interest.   :)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Larch

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 18, 2009, 03:15:34 PM
What are you interested in?  Obviously, there are a number of things to do in each city listed.  Are you a nature person?  Maybe explore the Catskills or Adirondacks, depending on where you are upstate.

I'd have a drink with you in Phila. if there's any interest.   :)

I'm more of a city person, and what I'm looking for the most is cultural stuff, but I'll most probably visit the Adirondack NP as well. It'll all depend on the weather, I guess.

And chalked down for Philly. :cheers: You'll have to take me to a good Philly Cheesesteak place.  :lol: