And we're back!

Main Menu

US East Coast trip - Tips welcome

Started by The Larch, August 18, 2009, 02:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: DGuller on August 18, 2009, 04:26:51 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 18, 2009, 03:18:45 PM
And chalked down for Philly. :cheers: You'll have to take me to a good Philly Cheesesteak place.  :lol:
My coworker who used to live in Philly told me to only get cheesesteaks from the street vendors, and any vendor would do.

That is the opposite of my experience.  The street vendor cheesesteaks are really miserable, mostly using frozen meat and crappy rolls.  None I've had are as good as any corner pizza/hoagie shop anywhere in the city or suburbs.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2009, 04:30:20 PM
Essex county is not very interesting.

That's a pity, I was kinda looking forward to a trip through "Lovecraft county".  :cthulu:

DGuller

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 18, 2009, 05:44:57 PM
That is the opposite of my experience.  The street vendor cheesesteaks are really miserable, mostly using frozen meat and crappy rolls.  None I've had are as good as any corner pizza/hoagie shop anywhere in the city or suburbs.
I guess I'm not very popular with that co-worker.  FWIW, I did like the cheesteaks from the street vendors, although I don't know how they compare to the corner shops.

Caliga

Quote from: Zanza on August 18, 2009, 03:49:03 PMIf you are interested, you can make a small detour and go to Lancaster county and stare at the Amish living there. It's fascinating what kind of strange customs some people have.
Hey, those are my peeps, BITCH.  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 06:17:13 PM
Quote from: Zanza on August 18, 2009, 03:49:03 PMIf you are interested, you can make a small detour and go to Lancaster county and stare at the Amish living there. It's fascinating what kind of strange customs some people have.
Hey, those are my peeps, BITCH.  :mad:

Best Apple and Shoofly pie ever comes from those people.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: The Larch on August 18, 2009, 05:49:20 PMThat's a pity, I was kinda looking forward to a trip through "Lovecraft county".  :cthulu:
There are some neat towns there, such as Salem, Rockport, and Gloucester.  I don't believe you'd find a single connection to anything Lovecraft wrote, though.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 06:22:27 PM
There are some neat towns there, such as Salem, Rockport, and Gloucester.  I don't believe you'd find a single connection to anything Lovecraft wrote, though.

Neat for like two seconds. In each of those three, I was around for like 5 minutes and was like, let's go.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 06:22:27 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 18, 2009, 05:49:20 PMThat's a pity, I was kinda looking forward to a trip through "Lovecraft county".  :cthulu:

Well, AFAIK, many of the cities in the area were the models in which he inspired himself to describe the usual settings of his stories. This way, Salem would be Arkham, Newburyport would be Innsmouth, Marblehead would be Kingsport, and so on.

Caliga

Yes, I'm familiar with his body of work (in fact I've read it entirely) and his inspirations and have visited all of them.  :)

They are interesting in their own right, but I'm saying you won't visit Salem and go "OMG ARKHAM I FEEL LIKE IM ON MISKATONICS CAMPUS LOOL" or anything.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2009, 06:25:08 PMNeat for like two seconds. In each of those three, I was around for like 5 minutes and was like, let's go.
You mean you didn't like the Peabody-Essex Museum?  :(

The Larch

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 06:40:32 PM
Yes, I'm familiar with his body of work (in fact I've read it entirely) and his inspirations and have visited all of them.  :)

They are interesting in their own right, but I'm saying you won't visit Salem and go "OMG ARKHAM I FEEL LIKE IM ON MISKATONICS CAMPUS LOOL" or anything.

Well, of course, but I thought that it could be a nice day trip from Boston anyway, mostly Salem. ;)

Caliga

Quote from: The Larch on August 18, 2009, 06:43:27 PM
Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 06:40:32 PM

Well, of course, but I thought that it could be a nice day trip from Boston anyway, mostly Salem. ;)

I agree that it would be.

If I were you, I'd do three days in the area.  One in Boston proper, one on the Cape (skip Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket, as you will waste alot of time getting there), and one on the North Shore/Cape Ann (which is what you're calling 'Essex County'... the rest of the county is boring suburbs you'd find nothing worthwhile in).

garbon

Boston proper should include Cambridge!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2009, 06:49:21 PM
Boston proper should include Cambridge!
Who was it on here that was saying Cambridge is a tiny village the other week?  :lol:

garbon

If you go to Salem, you'll be like "OOH cheesy exhibits on witches!"