News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US East Coast trip - Tips welcome

Started by The Larch, August 18, 2009, 02:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

Damn, wish my personal economy was better. I'll discuss it with CF.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 07:10:33 PM

Chick-Fil-A is straight out, son.  The greatest fast food chain of all time only has outlets in the American South.  While I am blessed to be able to enjoy the wonders of Chick-Fil-A daily*, you won't be anywhere near their stronghold... though I hear they've started moving into the D.C. area, so maybe you can find one there.
They are all over the place in the DC 'burbs, and have been for a while.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on August 18, 2009, 08:47:18 PM
Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 07:10:33 PM

Chick-Fil-A is straight out, son.  The greatest fast food chain of all time only has outlets in the American South.  While I am blessed to be able to enjoy the wonders of Chick-Fil-A daily*, you won't be anywhere near their stronghold... though I hear they've started moving into the D.C. area, so maybe you can find one there.
They are all over the place in the DC 'burbs, and have been for a while.

According to their site, Chick-fil-a seems to be almost all over, but outside the "South", primarily on college campuses(their site even shows one in Washington state) .  How many of those are "real" Chick-Fil-A's, I am not sure.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 18, 2009, 04:21:45 PM
September/October I think the Cape and the Vineyard are going to be shut down. 

The Cape has a large year-round population, so it never really shuts down, it just ramps down.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 03:21:11 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 18, 2009, 03:20:38 PMWell, Geno's doesn't let you order in Spanish, so that's out (not that it's any good anyways...) ;)
Yes.  Take him to Pat's.
:face: Oi vei. I had to deal with the Pat's/Geno's argument on Friday.

Cultural? Which kinds of "cultural" are you looking for? There's a lot to Philly in terms of history, in terms of art, and in terms of music and trends scenes...

BTW, if you're in Philly over a weekend, I could probably get myself up there for a drink of coffee or beer, your preference. :)
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Oh, big recommendation- just outside Philly, over around Doylestown, there's the Mercer Museum, which is always makes for an interesting experience; to give you an idea, there is a fire truck suspended from the ceiling at one point.
Experience bij!

The Larch

Thanks for all the sugestions, guys.  :) Not too keen of diarrhoea inducing joints, but keep them coming.  :lol:

Regarding meeting offers, which I welcome, take into account that they may have to happen on weekdays, as I'll only have a couple of weekends available, with the first one being probably busy and the second one being around my return trip dates.

katmai

If i actually meet you in person do i finally qualify to be a facebook friend pendejo? :P

And Cheesesteaks from Wolf's Market were the best i tasted in my 5 years in Philly.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on August 18, 2009, 07:04:13 PM
Heh, you could draft for me a whole checklist of diabetes/heart attack inducing locales for me to check the whole American experience during my trip.  :lol: So, Chick-Fil-A, bagels, what else?  ;)
Country fried steak.
Baby back ribs.
Crab cakes.
Dim Sum.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 18, 2009, 09:01:33 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 18, 2009, 03:40:21 PM
Swing by Boston.  Tim will buy us a few rounds.
Oh really?
Of course! You'll want to help our Languideshian brothers from across the sea!
PDH!

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on August 19, 2009, 01:08:24 AM
Thanks for all the sugestions, guys.  :) Not too keen of diarrhoea inducing joints, but keep them coming.  :lol:

We have plenty of toilet paper.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Other suggestions:

Chicken and dumplings at Cracker Barrel.
mac and cheese made the good way (baked in the oven)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Hey, if you're serious about meetups in Philly, shoot me a PM if/when you get something more definite- I'm not stuck to weekends, but Friday-Sunday are when I don't have any classes to complicate things (all my classes so far are in the middle of the day :bleeding: )
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 19, 2009, 02:45:05 PM
Chicken and dumplings at Cracker Barrel.

Just make sure you don't end up at Crate & Barrel.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.