News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US East Coast trip - Tips welcome

Started by The Larch, August 18, 2009, 02:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Fate on August 18, 2009, 04:01:54 PM
Coming from a person living in the financial shit hole that is California, this is rich.  :lol:

California is still a kickass place even though the state budget is messed up. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Essex county is not very interesting.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Houston sucks, can't really say much about the rest of Texas.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

Vince and I are in Oneida County, not too far from Tompkins County.  There's... a little to do around here.  Cool brewery that gives tours and Ft. Stanwix/Schuyler.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

If the timing works out, stop for half a day in Bawlmer* to see the aquarium.

If things work out timing-wise, I will try to drive into DC to visit with you.  Maybe Seedy can come down from Bawlmer as well.  Too bad I no longer have my sailboat - October is a great sailing month on the Chesapeake Bay.

* (spelled Baltimore)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

citizen k

Quote from: The Larch on August 18, 2009, 02:52:53 PMI'll be glad to have a beer with any of you that may be nearby. :cheers:

All the cool Languishites are on the West coast.  :contract:

Fate

citizen k

Quote from: Fate on August 18, 2009, 05:13:59 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 18, 2009, 04:50:28 PM
Houston sucks

Incorrect.
Ask any Texan if they would rather live in Houston or Austin/Hill Country and nine times out of ten they say Austin.

garbon

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Fate on August 18, 2009, 05:13:59 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 18, 2009, 04:50:28 PM
Houston sucks

Incorrect.

Everything about Houston is awesome except the climate, landscape, humidity, the swamp, the climate, humidity, hurricanes, wildlife, humidity, lack of any defining terrain features except bug-infested cypress swamp, humidity making fog every morning that leaves a thick layer of pollen all over everything when it burns off, bugs, sweating all the time for no reason, rain that physically hurts when it falls on you, 108% humidity when it's not raining, old people dying if they don't have air conditioning, and everything flooding out if more than an inch of rain falls (which is every day). I really do mean everything else is awesome too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Larch

Quote from: grumbler on August 18, 2009, 05:09:16 PM
If the timing works out, stop for half a day in Bawlmer* to see the aquarium.

If things work out timing-wise, I will try to drive into DC to visit with you.  Maybe Seedy can come down from Bawlmer as well.  Too bad I no longer have my sailboat - October is a great sailing month on the Chesapeake Bay.

* (spelled Baltimore)

I have Bawlmer amongst my other possible destinations, given that it's right next to Washington and close to Philly, and I intended to go to the area for sure. Then again I don't want to be killed for my tennis shoes.  :P Is there really some part of the city that is safe?  :ph34r:

Pity about the boat, the sailing sounded great. Regarding the timing for DC, I guess that I'd spend there at least 2-3 days, but I don't know if it'd be on a weekend, which I guess would be the easier time to meet people from out of town. Let's see how the calendar works out.  :)

Barrister

Quote from: citizen k on August 18, 2009, 05:12:01 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 18, 2009, 02:52:53 PMI'll be glad to have a beer with any of you that may be nearby. :cheers:

All the cool Languishites are on the West coast.  :contract:

I do believe all the really cool Languishites are in the North.   ;)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2009, 05:30:46 PM
I do believe all the really cool Languishites are in the North.   ;)

You're such a literalist.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

What will be your mode of transportation?

If you go stare at the Amish you could do a twofer and see Gettysburg.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 18, 2009, 05:34:31 PM
What will be your mode of transportation?

If you go stare at the Amish you could do a twofer and see Gettysburg.

I'm thinking seriously about renting a car for the second week. I've been told it is affordable, and that there aren't good public transport options for some of the trips I want to do.