News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US East Coast trip - Tips welcome

Started by The Larch, August 18, 2009, 02:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: The Larch on August 18, 2009, 03:18:45 PM
And chalked down for Philly. :cheers: You'll have to take me to a good Philly Cheesesteak place.  :lol:

Well, Geno's doesn't let you order in Spanish, so that's out (not that it's any good anyways...) ;)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Caliga

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 18, 2009, 03:20:38 PMWell, Geno's doesn't let you order in Spanish, so that's out (not that it's any good anyways...) ;)
Yes.  Take him to Pat's.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Larch

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 18, 2009, 03:20:38 PM
And chalked down for Philly. :cheers: You'll have to take me to a good Philly Cheesesteak place.  :lol:

Well, Geno's doesn't let you order in Spanish, so that's out (not that it's any good anyways...) ;)

Me can talk English, me do ok. :) :P

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Grey Fox

Come to Montreal, party with Grallon, Zoupa & Drakken.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on August 18, 2009, 03:21:41 PM
Me can talk English, me do ok. :) :P

Oh I'm sorry, you can't conjugate in English like that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Jaron on August 18, 2009, 03:23:24 PM
WTF why can't you order in Spanish?
Cause the owner is a self-aggrandizing racist lunatic.

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 03:14:18 PM
That's amusing.  This July was the *coldest* on record here... it never even broke 90F! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Kentucky and Texas really aren't that far apart, so it makes no sense to me.... :unsure:

At one point we had 39 consecutive days above 100F.

The drought is the real killer.  Naturally just up the road in Dallas they have been getting great rain.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Darth Wagtaros

Swing by Boston.  Tim will buy us a few rounds.
PDH!

Zanza

I know the East Coast well enough from a tourist's perspective. Washington is good for about two days (White House, Mall, Congress, museums, especially the Air and Space one, Arlington cementary, memorials on Vietnam, Lincoln etc., nightlife in Georgetown was alright). See a Redskins game if it fits into your iterinary.

New York is worth at least five days in my opinion. Lots to see there. I'd spend as much time as possible in New York.

Philadelphia wasn't very interesting in my opinion. It's got the Liberty Bell and the buildings where the first congress met or something. And the cheese-steak. And a Rocky statue. That's about it from what I can tell. Half a day is enough in my opinion. If you are interested, you can make a small detour and go to Lancaster county and stare at the Amish living there. It's fascinating what kind of strange customs some people have.

Boston was alright, worth a day or so. IIRC the bars closed early for some reason.

Cape Cod might be worth a day. It reminded me of the German island of Sylt somehow. ;)

Northeast of New York is the Woodbury Commons outlet which is the largest in the NYC region (AFAIK) and worth visiting so you can take advantage of the new 450 euro customs limit of the EU. ;) It's next to Harriman state park, which is quite nice during the Indian Summer.

Fate

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2009, 03:02:26 PM
Why would a sane person visit Tejas, willingly?

Coming from a person living in the financial shit hole that is California, this is rich.  :lol:

Although you aren't white, so I suppose I can somewhat understand your situation. Members of the master race do not feel unconfortable in the civilized portions of the South.

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on August 18, 2009, 03:49:03 PM
I know the East Coast well enough from a tourist's perspective. Washington is good for about two days (White House, Mall, Congress, museums, especially the Air and Space one, Arlington cementary, memorials on Vietnam, Lincoln etc., nightlife in Georgetown was alright). See a Redskins game if it fits into your iterinary.

New York is worth at least five days in my opinion. Lots to see there. I'd spend as much time as possible in New York.

Philadelphia wasn't very interesting in my opinion. It's got the Liberty Bell and the buildings where the first congress met or something. And the cheese-steak. And a Rocky statue. That's about it from what I can tell. Half a day is enough in my opinion. If you are interested, you can make a small detour and go to Lancaster county and stare at the Amish living there. It's fascinating what kind of strange customs some people have.

Boston was alright, worth a day or so. IIRC the bars closed early for some reason.

Cape Cod might be worth a day. It reminded me of the German island of Sylt somehow. ;)

Northeast of New York is the Woodbury Commons outlet which is the largest in the NYC region (AFAIK) and worth visiting so you can take advantage of the new 450 euro customs limit of the EU. ;) It's next to Harriman state park, which is quite nice during the Indian Summer.

Greatly appreciated. :) I still don't have a definite timetable about how long to stay in each place, but roughly speaking I'll spend the first week in NY city and state, and the second week travelling around, so it's good to know how many days are each city worthy of. My brother told me about the possibility of spending a night in some farm in Lancaster county, must be a good story to tell later.

Regarding side trips, I was kinda looking around for a day in Essex county in Mass, or instead the Cape Cod - Martha's Vineyard area, which one is cooler?

Admiral Yi

Zanza's advice sounds very good.

September/October I think the Cape and the Vineyard are going to be shut down. 

Maybe a day trip up to Vermont or New Hampshire while you're in Boston to see the leaves.  If you go to New Hampshire drop by the L. L. Coolbean or Justin Timberland outlets and pick up some boots.  Those fuckers seriously do last forever.

Admiral Yi

Oh, and don't go to Georgetown for your DC drinking.  Go to Adams Morgan.

DGuller

My coworker who used to live in Philly told me to only get cheesesteaks from the street vendors, and any vendor would do.