News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Limits of Free Speech

Started by Sheilbh, August 16, 2009, 07:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Where's Hans?  He should be out defending this guy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 17, 2009, 12:09:41 PM
I don't know, I think Grallon's right to some extent.  The US has glorified individual violence and, in a different way, revolt against the state over its history. 
Glorified it more than any other place on earth?  I think not.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on August 17, 2009, 06:50:08 PM
I don't know, I think Grallon's right to some extent.  The US has glorified individual violence and, in a different way, revolt against the state over its history. 

Individual or mass violence?  I don't know.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Individual violence I can see; revolt against the state is nutty talk.

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on August 17, 2009, 06:50:08 PM
I didn't say glorified more than any other place on earth :mellow:

QuoteIndividual violence I can see; revolt against the state is nutty talk.
I think you're right.  The more I think about it Americans seem to me to have a strange relationship with their government, but you're right it's not to do with revolt.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

What I find ironic is that US is prosperous due to its high quality of governance, and yet a large chunk of its population holds it responsible for any and all problems.

Grallon

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 17, 2009, 07:20:24 PM

You should know by now that grumbler is nothing but semantics ;)

QuoteIndividual violence I can see; revolt against the state is nutty talk.
I think you're right.  The more I think about it Americans seem to me to have a strange relationship with their government, but you're right it's not to do with revolt.

A special relationship yes, just listen to the 'death tribunal' nonsense - and witness the numbers of those who are ready and willing to lap up that shit...

Deep mistrust, not altogether unfounded, one only has to look at the curtailing of civil liberties during the Cheney administration; but hearing and reading about the goings on of some of those 'conservatives' you'd think the government was out to get the citizenry every step of the way.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grallon on August 17, 2009, 07:26:40 PM
A special relationship yes, just listen to the 'death tribunal' nonsense - and witness the numbers of those who are ready and willing to lap up that shit...

Deep mistrust, not altogether unfounded, one only has to look at the curtailing of civil liberties during the Cheney administration; but hearing and reading about the goings on of some of those 'conservatives' you'd think the government was out to get the citizenry every step of the way.
This is what I find weird.  I read it expressed better somewhere else recently, but I can't remember where.  It was basically in response to a liberal writer saying how ridiculous the fears of government healthcare were because the US government wouldn't and perhaps couldn't do anything really dangerous with those powers.

The writer pointed out that the people who think that often also think that the same government spent much of the 8 years renditioning, torturing and hiding people away in secret prisons around the world with no civil liberties.  Conversely a lot of the people who currently suspect Obama's a closet Muslim, wasn't born in this country or wants death panels were the same people who spent the last 8 years arguing for a very strong xecutive with a strong set of accompanying privileges.  That's an odd relationship. 

I mean it's different from the British hypocrisy - which is that government should do more or less everything, but it shouldn't cost much and it shouldn't be in our areas.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 17, 2009, 07:36:54 PM
The writer pointed out that the people who think that often also think that the same government spent much of the 8 years renditioning, torturing and hiding people away in secret prisons around the world with no civil liberties.  Conversely a lot of the people who currently suspect Obama's a closet Muslim, wasn't born in this country or wants death panels were the same people who spent the last 8 years arguing for a very strong xecutive with a strong set of accompanying privileges.  That's an odd relationship. 
Not necessarily.  Torture et al affected "them" and provided "us" with security (or at worst case nothing).  Note the completely different treatment that was meted out to US citizen detainees.  Reforming health care affects "us."

Generally agree with Grallon about the paranoid streak though.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 17, 2009, 07:55:21 PMor at worst case nothing
At worst you mean if all the worst allegations were true?
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 17, 2009, 08:13:09 PM
At worst case if all of Cheney's claims are false.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 17, 2009, 08:16:49 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 17, 2009, 08:13:09 PM
At worst case if all of Cheney's claims are false.
Okay, and you think that costs nothing?  Or just nothing tangible?
Let's bomb Russia!

DontSayBanana

What we seem to be skirting around is that there's a culture of "personal success" that seems to have had its lines blurred with greed and self-centrism somewhere along the way among the ultra-conservatives: there's a large group which seems to have come into play where detainees' rights are perceived to be in conflict with their own "rights" to safety and security.
Experience bij!

grumbler

No, Grallon did: "I don't think anywhere else is armed violence so mythologized as it is in the States," and you agreed with him "to some extent."  I was simply pointing out that the statement you were "to some extent" defending was hyperbole.  I wasn't saying that you were completely wrong.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!