Peace logo shirts

and so on.

my conclusion: some people really hate t-shirts

CafePress should be banned.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: saskganesh on August 20, 2009, 02:21:01 PM

I think it is safer to just not wear a shirt.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

saskganesh

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2009, 02:22:15 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on August 20, 2009, 02:21:01 PM

I think it is safer to just not wear a shirt.

think of the children!!!

hey, this gentleman has sideburns just like Yi.:)
humans were created in their own image

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 20, 2009, 02:12:58 PM
I was a little disgusted with you but other people made my point so I didn't need to follow up on it.
Not even close.  The two people that responded made the argument that what Obama was talking about had zero chance of being enacted so we shouldn't worry about it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 20, 2009, 03:00:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 20, 2009, 02:12:58 PM
I was a little disgusted with you but other people made my point so I didn't need to follow up on it.
Not even close.  The two people that responded made the argument that what Obama was talking about had zero chance of being enacted so we shouldn't worry about it.

Are you telling me that you believe in this conspiracy then?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Sask needs to have his post deleted and get a warning.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on August 20, 2009, 04:24:52 PM
Sask needs to have his post deleted and get a warning.
It definitely wasn't SFW.  A little warning would've been courteous.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 20, 2009, 04:24:23 PM
If "this conspiracy" is that Obama's April interview with the New York Times contained a whiff of death panels, then yes.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 20, 2009, 04:28:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 20, 2009, 04:24:23 PM
If "this conspiracy" is that Obama's April interview with the New York Times contained a whiff of death panels, then yes.
Do you think it's a serious issue in the bills that are being debated?

QuoteThe two people that responded made the argument that what Obama was talking about had zero chance of being enacted so we shouldn't worry about it.
What do you mean?  Death panels aren't, so far as I'm aware, in any of the major proposals for healthcare reform.  Maybe they should be, it could deal with pension costs too.

What do you worry will be enacted?
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 21, 2009, 02:15:51 AM
Do you think it's a serious issue in the bills that are being debated?
No.

QuoteWhat do you mean?  Death panels aren't, so far as I'm aware, in any of the major proposals for healthcare reform.  Maybe they should be, it could deal with pension costs too.
What I meant in the part that you quoted is that Razzberry's assertion that other posters made his point for him is untrue.

In the April interview Obama raised the idea of creating a commission to begin the "difficult democratic conversation" of pulling the plug on grandpa to save money.  This proposal got watered down to the totally innocuous provision of having a doctor discuss options with a terminal patient.  So the town hall screamers have it wrong in that (a) it's not in the current bills, and (b) it was a death commission to look at all seniors as opposed to death panels looking at people on a case by case basis.  But there claim was not created out of whole cloth.  And there's also the issue of knowing whether or not the process has been frozen at this point so that only the provisions contained in one the various House and Senate versions are up for consideration.  Certainly no one that I have heard has made this principle explicit.

QuoteWhat do you worry will be enacted?
Unfunded spending that packs on to the deficit.

Employer mandates that hammer unemployment.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 21, 2009, 09:23:18 AM
Unfunded spending that packs on to the deficit.

Employer mandates that hammer unemployment.

I understand those concerns.  The problem is that no matter what the outcome health care will still be an enormous anchor around the neck of the economy.

Which is not to say that the government could not make the situation far worse.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 21, 2009, 09:23:18 AMAnd there's also the issue of knowing whether or not the process has been frozen at this point so that only the provisions contained in one the various House and Senate versions are up for consideration.  Certainly no one that I have heard has made this principle explicit.
I believe Rahm has said that it's all about the Senate Finance Committee now.  From what I understand that bill is still significantly to the left of what Obama had in his plan.  What's interesting is that because of the Congress the argument over policy is significantly to the left of what Obama initially suggested, while because of the media/town halls the argument in the press is significantly to the right of what's actually happening.  It's very odd.

QuoteUnfunded spending that packs on to the deficit.
That's a threat.  The deficit's a problem, for sure but I think it's one that should be left until the economy's showing real sustainable signs of recovery.

The problem with the deficit is that everyone talks about how they want to find savings and so on in 'non-defence discretionary spending'.  Now by my back of an envelope sums if you were to try and cut the deficit from 'non-defence discretionary spending' then even if you eliminated all other government spending you would still have a deficit.

There needs to be some sort of deal that allows reform of things like social security and medicare and that allows for a rational debate on the DoD budget.  I don't think a political discourse that sees claims as outlandish as mandatory government 'death panels' is one that can actually deal with that.

QuoteEmployer mandates that hammer unemployment.
I think there should be a minimum provision offered and a cap on the amount it can cost (I believe it's what they have in the Netherlands for example) and I think the public plan is to some extent a way around this.  It should be said that already the cost of healthcare on companies in the US is roughly equivalent to the cost of holidays, working-hour legislation and something else in Europe.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 20, 2009, 04:28:58 PM

I call bullshit.  The NYT interview was about paying for a hip replacement for a terminally ill patient, not pulling the plug.  And even then it was clear that the option would be open to pay out-of-pocket.

this is scaremongering pure and simple, and the people peddling it make the "Bush lied, people died" folks look like Aristotle in comparison.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson