Main Menu

The Limits of Free Speech

Started by Sheilbh, August 16, 2009, 07:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 08, 2009, 08:16:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 08, 2009, 06:23:55 PM
That really hurt.

Are you gay? I just assume people aren't until they state otherwise. Or flirt with other guys, like Siege does.

And this from my best friend! :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 08, 2009, 08:32:40 PM
And this from my best friend! :(

:huh:

But the statement that you said hurt was "You're like Martinus without the gay?"

Or did you mean it was the Marty part that hurt? Ah ok. :face:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Two trials, two hung juries, two mistrials.  This even after Judge Easterbrook gave Turner's defense lawyer a free instructional clinic on constitutional incorporation at the last three-ring circus federal criminal trial.

Fitzgerald is unmoved and is now revving up for trial #3.

Say this for the man, he is persistent.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DontSayBanana

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 12, 2010, 01:01:29 PM
Two trials, two hung juries, two mistrials.  This even after Judge Easterbrook gave Turner's defense lawyer a free instructional clinic on constitutional incorporation at the last three-ring circus federal criminal trial.

Fitzgerald is unmoved and is now revving up for trial #3.

Say this for the man, he is persistent.

Of course he is; he's got our tax dollars as a budget. <_<
Experience bij!

The Minsky Moment

Second necromantic revival on this one.
Turner's appeal was convicted on trial #3 and his appeal was denied by the Second Circuit last week, in a 2-1 panel opinion.

To save the trouble of reading the earlier stuff, this is a case about an "internet radio host", who, in his anger about a ruling in a gun rights case, wrote a blog post naming the 3 senior federal judges who made the ruling, and said they deserved to be killed, and went on with rants in a similar vein.  THe next day he posted their office locations and a map of the anti-truck barriers around the building.

Patrick Fitzgerald, of Scooter Libby trial fame, prosecuted Turner 3 times, ploughing through 2 hung juries, before finally securing a conviction for threatening to kill a federal judge.

As a matter of abstract justice, it is hard to feel sorry for a genuine scumbag like Turner doing 33 months of federal time.   But of course the whole point of free speech rights is they protect everyone, even assholes.

The appeals court opinion is here and the short dissent by Judge Pooler is worth a look: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-2nd-circuit/1635862.html

She argues that the majority confuses the distinction between "true threat" and "incitement".  A "threat" (according to Pooler) is not general advocacy of the use of force but a communication directed to the victim (not third parties) that coveys danger from the speaker.  I.e. "I'm gonna git you sucka" is a threat, though perhaps a vague one.  Whereas "who will rid me of this troublesome priest" is incitement, not threat.  The distinction matters because although it is possible to charge someone criminally for incitement, Turner was not convicted under such a law, and because there are some differences between the constitutional limitations to threats and words of incitement.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

I can see an argument for either one of that.  Obviously it could be an incitement, if the asshole really did try to get those three particular judges killed.  However, I can also see this being a case where the intended audience of such incitement are the judges themselves, just to make them squirm.

Malthus

From the other thread, we already know the limits of free speech in Texas - anything that some person on the internet thinks is a "threat".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

I'm a pretty die hard defender of free speech, but posting that map takes it over the line.

EDIT: Although I agree that it seems to be incitement rather than a threat.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on August 16, 2009, 07:13:42 AM
The guy deserves to go to jail just for this:
Quotethe only thing standing in the way of the judges and "the government" achieving ultimate power "is the fact that We The People have guns. Now, that is very much in jeopardy.

I hate that stupid shit.

It's a lot less plausible in a world with MBTs and airpower and, yes, dreadnoughts, or even an organized standing military, isn't it?  The CSA had millions of guns, and thousands of gun manufactories, yet were pretty helpless to stop the Union achieving ultimate power over them.

The thing standing in the way of "the government" achieving ultimate power is the military's likely unwillingness to carry out unconstitutional action.  If that didn't exist, Obama could dissolve Congress in an instant.  But it's important to yahoos' worldviews that they are the ones holding the line, and not to consider that if a coup d'etat reached the line they're holding, it is far, far too late.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Nevermind, I didn't realize this thread was four years old.  What the fuck, whoever?  Edit: fair enough, Joan.

Anyway, Eurofascism triumphs again.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on July 05, 2013, 07:57:58 PM
Nevermind, I didn't realize this thread was four years old.  What the fuck, whoever?

Joan kinda clearly said why when he posted an update regarding this guy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on July 05, 2013, 07:59:08 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 05, 2013, 07:57:58 PM
Nevermind, I didn't realize this thread was four years old.  What the fuck, whoever?

Joan kinda clearly said why when he posted an update regarding this guy.

WELL NOW I KNOW AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE.
Kinemalogue

sbr

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on July 05, 2013, 07:57:05 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 16, 2009, 07:13:42 AM
The guy deserves to go to jail just for this:
Quotethe only thing standing in the way of the judges and "the government" achieving ultimate power "is the fact that We The People have guns. Now, that is very much in jeopardy.

I hate that stupid shit.

It's a lot less plausible in a world with MBTs and airpower and, yes, dreadnoughts, or even an organized standing military, isn't it?  The CSA had millions of guns, and thousands of gun manufactories, yet were pretty helpless to stop the Union achieving ultimate power over them.

The thing standing in the way of "the government" achieving ultimate power is the military's likely unwillingness to carry out unconstitutional action.  If that didn't exist, Obama could dissolve Congress in an instant.  But it's important to yahoos' worldviews that they are the ones holding the line, and not to consider that if a coup d'etat reached the line they're holding, it is far, far too late.

Yeah, I always chuckle at that one.  People thinking that their private firearms and gun clubs would intimidate either the government or a possible foreign invader.  That was probably never true. The Revolutionary war, the war of 1812 and the Civil war demonstrated time and time again: Militias suck. And the gulf has gotten even wider. Much better armed, trained, and organized militias in Iraq failed time and time again to stop the army.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr