And we're back!

Main Menu

The Limits of Free Speech

Started by Sheilbh, August 16, 2009, 07:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 25, 2009, 08:04:14 AM
Agreed.  But the cloth is not whole.

You are making very fine distinctions on behalf of people who do not recognize fine distinctions.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 25, 2009, 06:20:00 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 25, 2009, 06:05:21 AM
'The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama's 'death panel' so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their 'level of productivity in society,' whether they are worthy of health care. Such a system is downright evil.'
She added that 'unproductive' members of society would have whether or not they received healthcare judged by government bureaucrats and said that it was 'misleading' for the President to claim that the end of life counselling was 'entirely voluntary'.
Right.  That's talking about funding, not euthenasia.

but she is against funding altogether.

So under this interpretation, what she is really for is a "death panel" that turns down everyone.

You can parse language all you want, but the fact remains that her position is dishonest and deliberately incendiary.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Free speech is an illusion. Try yelling "fire" in a burning theatre.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on September 08, 2009, 12:28:02 PM

All the flames and smoke choke you and drown out your voice.  No freedom of speech at all :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2009, 06:22:00 AM
I can't say you're absolutely wrong but it sure would be a strange use of the English language.
Well Betsy McCaughey has a history of lying about various healthcare laws.  She first spoke about the current proposal about that the office of the national healthcare IT coordinator (or something similar) that was first created by Bush in 2005 and has their role strengthened in the house bill.  Now the role was actually to try and provide some general guidelines on updating IT in healthcare, so doctors can more easily share information.  It's designed to try and find best practice if you will.  It also measure comparative effectiveness - such as the government already does for education, airlines and just about everything else.

The problem is Betsy McCaughey suggested that the position was a new bureaucracy (it wasn't, it was created in 2005 and its role is only strengthened) and that what it does is watch what drugs, treatments and tests doctors are prescribing.  That doctors can then be penalised by the Federal government.  McCaughey didn't really explain how or what they'd be penalised for but that it would largely be at the discretion of the HUD Secretary.

I'll be honest.  I don't trust anything she says on healthcare, because she made a series of claims about Hilarycare in the nineties that weren't true, the claim about IT thing turned out to be not true and I think the same about what she's saying about this.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on September 08, 2009, 12:28:02 PM

One man's freedom of expression is another man's arson.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 08, 2009, 09:57:34 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 25, 2009, 08:04:14 AM
Agreed.  But the cloth is not whole.

You are making very fine distinctions on behalf of people who do not recognize fine distinctions.

And not a particularly noteworthy one.  It's like saying Jews killing Christian kids to put in their matzoh isn't from whole cloth.  Jews do eat Matzoh.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 08, 2009, 05:15:36 PM
And not a particularly noteworthy one.  It's like saying Jews killing Christian kids to put in their matzoh isn't from whole cloth.  Jews do eat Matzoh.
No, it's like saying Jews kill Christian kids to put into their matzoh after an Elder of Zion started a difficult democratic conversation about insufficient iron in the Jewish diet and overpopulation in predominantly Christian areas.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2009, 05:50:39 PM
No, it's like saying Jews kill Christian kids to put into their matzoh after an Elder of Zion started a difficult democratic conversation about insufficient iron in the Jewish diet and overpopulation in predominantly Christian areas.

You suck at analogies.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

Martinus, stop using other people's accounts and debating with yourself.

Sheilbh

You're both like Martinus without the gay :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 08, 2009, 06:17:56 PM
You're both like Martinus without the gay :mellow:

That really hurt.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 08, 2009, 06:23:55 PM
That really hurt.

Are you gay? I just assume people aren't until they state otherwise. Or flirt with other guys, like Siege does.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?