News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ohio, the heart of it all

Started by Ed Anger, August 04, 2009, 09:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

LaCroix

Syt

Would explain his weapons fetish, at least.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on September 05, 2011, 01:38:29 PM
I will be making my way to Cleveland, Ohio later this month.  Catching a Tribe game against the Twins, then the Browns - Dolphins game the next day.  Going to make a try for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as well.
Indians won, Browns won, I had a blast and survived Ohio.  Even made the trip to Youngstown to visit my buddy's family.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Pretty crazy

Video
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/44956890#44956890

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/10/lions-tigers-bears-on-the-loose-in-ohio/
QuoteLions, Tigers, Bears on the Loose in Ohio
  Email 39 Smaller Font Text Larger Text | Print

As many as 48 wild animals, including cheetahs, grizzly bears, black bears, wolves, tigers and lions are on the loose in the area of Zanesville, Ohio, after they escaped from a private wildlife preserve, police said tonight.

Officers believe they have shot as many as 25 of the animals so far, but it is not clear exactly how many escaped, according to the Muskingum County Sheriff's Department.

Muskingum County Sheriff Matt Lutz said that until the animals are rounded up, people should stay inside.

"These are wild animals, wild animals that you would see on TV in Africa," Mutz said at a news conference this evening.

Terry Thompson, the owner of the preserve was found dead, but it's not clear yet how he died, the sheriff said.

"This is a bad situation," Mutz said. "It's been a bad situation for a long time and the last thing we want to do is have any of our public hurt."

The animals' pens were found open, and deputies are working with the animals' caregiver, who says the animals were fed Monday.

They're putting food in the animals' pens in the hopes they might return the pens where they can then secure the animals.

Police describe the animals as "mature, very big and aggressive."

The Ohio State Highway Patrol has cordoned off seven square miles near Interstate 70 and officers are using infrared to find the animals.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Not much you can do.  I saw in the CNN comments section people complaining "why don't use tranquilizer darts?", and other various bitching.  I doubt they have a veterinary anesthesiologist on hand with experience on doping big animals, let alone the training and facilities to retrain such an animal if they did knock it out.  It's not like you put a bear in the back of a squad car.  If they sit around waiting for experts and experience to arrive one of those animals could eat a kid.  They have no choice but to kill many of them.  I also read that the guy who owned the place plead to animal cruelty a few years back, so the animals may be bad shape and have to be put down anyway.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

What if we escape from Languish?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Got some interesting phone calls from friends/family of my Argentine in-laws, who are in visiting.  Everyone had heard about wild animals on the loose in Ohio and they were checking to make sure everyone was okay :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2011, 02:12:06 PM
Not much you can do.  I saw in the CNN comments section people complaining "why don't use tranquilizer darts?", and other various bitching.  I doubt they have a veterinary anesthesiologist on hand with experience on doping big animals, let alone the training and facilities to retrain such an animal if they did knock it out.  It's not like you put a bear in the back of a squad car.  If they sit around waiting for experts and experience to arrive one of those animals could eat a kid.  They have no choice but to kill many of them.  I also read that the guy who owned the place plead to animal cruelty a few years back, so the animals may be bad shape and have to be put down anyway.

Yeah,  I saw somewhere that apparently they would have had to kill a lot of them anyway, experts with tranq guns or not.  It seems that they can sometimes be completely unaffected by the tranquilizers, or if they are, they can become very aggressive after being hit by the dart but before they eventually "pass out."

Razgovory

I saw on the news they shot one bear with a tranq dart and all it accomplished was making bear angry.  It then charged some officers who had to gun it down.  Apparently it takes something like five minutes to work, and it's highly dependent where they hit the animal with the dart.  I agree that event was a tragedy, but there was nothing you could do about it.  Fortunately nobody was hurt in the incident.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on October 20, 2011, 09:57:56 AM
Got some interesting phone calls from friends/family of my Argentine in-laws, who are in visiting.  Everyone had heard about wild animals on the loose in Ohio and they were checking to make sure everyone was okay :lol:

lolz
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive