News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

If you are thinking of John Law, no, that's not him. He died in 1729, in exile, in Venice.

(Though that guy sure lived an interesting life on its own merit).
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

I forget the name but was he the guy that built 3 clockwork androids that still work? Czech iirc?

Oexmelin

He's a Casanova type alright. But not Casanova.

Max: perhaps you are thinking of Jacquet-Droz, the Swiss automaton maker.

Zoupa

Maximus

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 26, 2009, 07:49:06 PM
Max: perhaps you are thinking of Jacquet-Droz, the Swiss automaton maker.
Yea that sounds right.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Zoupa on August 27, 2009, 01:13:12 AM
Hungarian?

Nope, he's a French guy (and perhaps less well-known than I thought).

Alatriste

You surely can't mean the Count of St. Germain!!!

Razgovory

Quote from: Alatriste on August 28, 2009, 12:53:36 PM
You surely can't mean the Count of St. Germain!!!

I know he knew Mozart and was a spy (or at least claimed to be).  Don't know about Voltaire but probably wasn't French.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Savonarola

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 26, 2009, 06:26:19 PM
Well, it's not quite fair, since I am teaching colonial history. I should have let others answer.

Who is this guy who links Mozart with Voltaire, clockmaking with arms selling, the American Insurgents to Louis XVI; spy, harpist, inventor, publisher, judge and speculator... (as well as his first occupation) ?

Pierre Beaumarchais?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

Although it sounds like the Count of St. Germain, wasn't he thought a complete fraud (i.e. never proved to have done any of the many things he claimed to do)?  If so then the question is a little misleading.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on August 28, 2009, 01:46:53 PM
Although it sounds like the Count of St. Germain, wasn't he thought a complete fraud (i.e. never proved to have done any of the many things he claimed to do)?  If so then the question is a little misleading.

Well it's unlikely he was immortal but he did seem to be a talented chemist and musician. 

crazy canuck

I am dying to google.  There is something just on the edge of my memory but I just cant recall the name.  Does he have any connection with the low countries?

Razgovory

I think Sav got it right since I google that name and it fits.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Savonarola on August 28, 2009, 01:46:20 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on August 26, 2009, 06:26:19 PM
Well, it's not quite fair, since I am teaching colonial history. I should have let others answer.

Who is this guy who links Mozart with Voltaire, clockmaking with arms selling, the American Insurgents to Louis XVI; spy, harpist, inventor, publisher, judge and speculator... (as well as his first occupation) ?

Pierre Beaumarchais?

Yep, Pierre-Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais, he invented pedals for the harp, taught it to one of the daughters of Louis XV (IIRC), bought an office of judge of hunt and forest, made lots of money speculating, published the first edition of Voltaire's complete works, sold weapons to the American Insurgents under a false name (Hortalez) for which his heirs only got paid in the 1820s... and of course was an author. He is the one who wrote Figaro, which Mozart turned into the opera.