And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 15, 2009, 08:21:32 PM
Quote from: Kleves on August 15, 2009, 07:29:04 PM
Churchill's not who I was thinking of. Is First Lord of the Admiralty a cabinet position?

Does this mean Churchill came before whoever you're thinking of?
Yes. Although the man I'm thinking of was his contemporary.

Yi: Malborough is not who i was thinking of, either.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Kleves

Ok, since my original question may have been wrong, or at least suspect, let me narrow the field a bit: The man I'm thinking of famously wore his military uniform while executing his government duties, which greatly upset the first non-royal (the husband, at least) to be married in Buckingham palace's chapel.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Kleves

Kitchener, yep. He wore his Field Marshal's uniform to a meeting with Douglas Haig in France. Haig's wedding was the first non-royal one in the history of Buckingham palace.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Kleves on August 15, 2009, 07:29:04 PM
Churchill's not who I was thinking of. Is First Lord of the Admiralty a cabinet position?
First Lord of the Admiralty used to be, yeah.  They could be military or civilian until the Napoleonic wars when only civilians were appointed while the First Sea Lord was the military position.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

You let this thread die while I was away. :mad:

Here is an easy  one to get things going.

As we all know Columbus tried to shop his idea of travelling west to reach the Indies in several Royal Courts.  One of those was Portugual.  However he was unsuccessful pursuading the Portugese because on his arrival in Portugual the King's attention was taken by another event.

What was it?

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Maximus

crazy canuck

Both wrong but Viking is closer.

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

crazy canuck

Not the capture of something but it does have to do with Africa.

Agelastus

Oh, dammit, someone had just returned, hadn't they...who the hell was it...

Aw, Hades, I am sure it is the wrong year, but let's see...

Da Gama?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 24, 2009, 12:13:06 PM
Not the capture of something but it does have to do with Africa.
The circumnavigation of Africa?

Malthus, tell us the name of the second general!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point