News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Quote from: Malthus on August 05, 2009, 08:11:01 AM
Okay ... the first general of the two was famous for having an overbearing wife who was a reformed "actress".

That should give the game away ...

I would have Guessed Belisarius for the first, but wasn't it Justinian that had the reformed actress wife?

Caliga

:yes:

Justinian didn't do the Byzantine reconquest of Italy, Belisarius (and I think Narses?) did.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Threviel on August 05, 2009, 08:37:57 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 05, 2009, 08:11:01 AM
Okay ... the first general of the two was famous for having an overbearing wife who was a reformed "actress".

That should give the game away ...

I would have Guessed Belisarius for the first, but wasn't it Justinian that had the reformed actress wife?

Belisarius is correct - his wife Antonia was a reformed actress & a personal best buddy of Theodora (they met in their "acting" days).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on August 05, 2009, 08:41:00 AM
:yes:

Justinian didn't do the Byzantine reconquest of Italy, Belisarius (and I think Narses?) did.

Narses relieved Belisarius after Justinian got nervous.

The ostrogoths did offer Belisarius the western imperial crown.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Oh yeah, I forgot.

Anyway, that makes the second conquest circa 1465.

Threviel

Somewhat too late, but emperor Charles after the sack of Rome 1527?

Malthus

Quote from: Threviel on August 05, 2009, 11:01:33 AM
Somewhat too late, but emperor Charles after the sack of Rome 1527?

Nope, earlier than that ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Who ever was Louis the great's general?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PDH

Prolly someone like Charles of Anjou, they were always running around claiming southern Italy.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Hmmm... yeah, probably an Angevin but I think Charles was an inheriter, not a fighter.

Rene d'Anjou?

Kleves

New, somewhat better question: Who was the first person since the 1600's to hold both an active military commision and a cabinet position in the British government?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Kleves

Churchill's not who I was thinking of. Is First Lord of the Admiralty a cabinet position?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

The Brain

Quote from: Kleves on August 15, 2009, 07:29:04 PM
Churchill's not who I was thinking of. Is First Lord of the Admiralty a cabinet position?

Is the Pope the Antichrist (non-rhetorical)?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Kleves on August 15, 2009, 07:29:04 PM

Does this mean Churchill came before whoever you're thinking of?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?