And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 01, 2009, 06:05:51 PM
The blurriness around the edges?

No, but this property was observed in the blurriness around the edges at a time when the rest of the object was covered by something else.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Stop dancing. Next question please.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

French Astronomer Pierre Janssen went to India in 1868 to observe a total eclipse of the sun. He observed the corona and looked at the spectrum of the light. He found a line in the yellow region near the two sodium lines. Originally thinking that his equipment was faulty. His results were looked at and other scientists found the line when the looked at the sun as well. Since that specific wavelength didn't occur with any known element.  So astronomers postulated that the a new element which they called helium after the sun in greek (Helios). Actual helium was identified by a British chemist working on a mineral.

Today it is usually found in natural gas in certain US deposits which resulted in the US having a virtual monopoly on helium in the time of airships.

I'll cede the floor since none of you schmucks are literate in the history of science.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on August 01, 2009, 11:28:35 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 01, 2009, 11:05:15 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 01, 2009, 10:44:28 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 01, 2009, 10:41:05 AM
sun dogs
:huh: Do you mean sun spots?

No I did not mean sun spots.  I meant sun dogs.

Regarding Sun Dogs, they would also have the same property as the object which I am looking for if the object were the sun.
Well, now I'm intrigued. What are sun dogs?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Q: Which pharao wrote the play A Mummy's House?

A: Peribsen.

Viking

Zoupa

Who where the Baker Street Irregulars during ww2?

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

ulmont

Quote from: Viking on August 01, 2009, 06:33:20 PM
French Astronomer Pierre Janssen went to India in 1868 to observe a total eclipse of the sun.

Which, one will note, is more of an "event" than an "object."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: ulmont on August 01, 2009, 11:40:35 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 01, 2009, 06:33:20 PM
French Astronomer Pierre Janssen went to India in 1868 to observe a total eclipse of the sun.

Which, one will note, is more of an "event" than an "object."

But the Sun is an object and helium was named after it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 01, 2009, 07:04:33 PM

Well, now I'm intrigued. What are sun dogs?

It's like two suns in the sky.  I saw one once.  I sat around a long time in a parking lot trying to figure out why we now had two suns.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on August 01, 2009, 06:09:51 PM
OK, wrong. The object has been detectable since either 540 million years ago or when it came into existence, which ever is later.

No the dectability of helium. :rolleyes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017