History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

Quote from: Armyknife on July 31, 2009, 09:00:12 AM
Quote from: Caliga on July 31, 2009, 08:35:19 AM
Providence, Rhode Island was abandoned and burned to the ground during what war?

The Stonewall riots ?
:blink:
Anyway, Viking is correct.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Armyknife on July 31, 2009, 09:00:12 AM
Quote from: Caliga on July 31, 2009, 08:35:19 AM
Providence, Rhode Island was abandoned and burned to the ground during what war?

The Stonewall riots ?

:lol:

Now *there's* a mental image to savour. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

A man named Coignet used chickenwire to invent one of the most important technologies in modern civilisation. What is that technology?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

Radar?

Edit : Man, I was way off.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Threviel

Maximus

Quote from: Habbaku on July 31, 2009, 09:21:38 AM
Radar?

That was going to be my guess.  :lol:

Reinforced concrete?

Caliga

Viking

Quote from: Maximus on July 31, 2009, 09:23:37 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on July 31, 2009, 09:21:38 AM
Radar?

That was going to be my guess.  :lol:

Reinforced concrete?

Bingo. He first used chicken wire as a structure for bird houses then he expanded the technology using a heavier steel grating to build full size buildings making steel re-enforced concrete resistant to all forces acting on it, not just the compressive stress like regular concrete.

Maximus

In that vein;

What did the romans use as a substitute for concrete as mortar and structural castings?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

Quote from: Maximus on July 31, 2009, 09:46:47 AM
In that vein;

What did the romans use as a substitute for concrete as mortar and structural castings?

This really sounds strange

1) Concrete is cement plus a filler, it is not used as mortar. Cement is used as mortar.
2) They used Concrete for "structural casting" in buildings (assuming it means what I think it means).

If the question is what material often replaced volcanic ash as the filler when money was being saved then ground recycled pottery is the answer.

crazy canuck

Viking, you over thought this.

It was a trick question.  The answer is nothing.  :P

Caliga

Maximus

Quote from: Viking on July 31, 2009, 10:28:47 AM

This really sounds strange

1) Concrete is cement plus a filler, it is not used as mortar. Cement is used as mortar.
2) They used Concrete for "structural casting" in buildings (assuming it means what I think it means).

If the question is what material often replaced volcanic ash as the filler when money was being saved then ground recycled pottery is the answer.

Cement is the powder mixed with water and aggregate to make concrete.

They also used concrete but they used something else that was often cheaper to make than cement.

It is frequently found between stones on pillars where the immense weight of the structure would crack the stones if no mortar was used. It is found on bridge pillars as well as the corner pillars that support the dome of the Haggia Sophia. It was also sometimes poured around the base of bridge pillars to prevent erosion.