News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

24 hour rule and all that.

Helium is named after a specific object. It got that name after that object was observed by a Frenchman in India in the 19th century. Now, without naming the object, which property of the object led to the conclusion that helium must exist.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

That's more of a science question.  I'm going to say the detectablity of Helium led to the conclusion that it must exist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on August 01, 2009, 10:03:43 AM
That's more of a science question.  I'm going to say the detectablity of Helium led to the conclusion that it must exist.

Well, with that logic Alariste's Russian Ship of the Line question is more of an economics question. The question remains, which property of the observed object led to the conclusion that Helium must exist.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

ulmont

Quote from: Viking on August 01, 2009, 07:40:28 AM

Helium is named after a specific object. It got that name after that object was observed by a Frenchman in India in the 19th century. Now, without naming the object, which property of the object led to the conclusion that helium must exist.

I'm thinking the floating without blowing up, probably.

EDIT:  That's not an "object", Viking.

Viking

Quote from: ulmont on August 01, 2009, 10:22:20 AM
Quote from: Viking on August 01, 2009, 07:40:28 AM

I'm thinking the floating without blowing up, probably.

EDIT:  That's not an "object", Viking.

Neither the buoyancy nor the flammability of object led to the conclusion.

From dictionary.com

I say way. It is an object.

Quoteob⋅ject

 /n. ˈɒbdʒɪkt, -dʒɛkt; v. əbˈdʒɛkt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [n. ob-jikt, -jekt; v. uhb-jekt] Show IPA
Use object in a Sentence
–noun
1.    anything that is visible or tangible and is relatively stable in form.
2.    a thing, person, or matter to which thought or action is directed: an object of medical investigation.
3.    the end toward which effort or action is directed; goal; purpose: Profit is the object of business.
4.    a person or thing with reference to the impression made on the mind or the feeling or emotion elicited in an observer: an object of curiosity and pity.
5.    anything that may be apprehended intellectually: objects of thought.
6.    Optics. the thing of which a lens or mirror forms an image.
7.    Grammar. (in many languages, as English) a noun, noun phrase, or noun substitute representing by its syntactical position either the goal of the action of a verb or the goal of a preposition in a prepositional phrase, as ball in John hit the ball, Venice in He came to Venice, coin and her in He gave her a coin. Compare direct object, indirect object.
8.    Computers. any item that can be individually selected or manipulated, as a picture, data file, or piece of text.
9.    Metaphysics. something toward which a cognitive act is directed.

Caliga

I googled the answer and I have to say I doubt I would have ever guessed this.  Neat question :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Well it has to be something to do with the sun since it led to the detection of helium.

Which property of the sun?

err...

sun dogs
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on August 01, 2009, 10:41:05 AM
Well it has to be something to do with the sun since it led to the detection of helium.

err...

sun dogs
:huh: Do you mean sun spots?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on August 01, 2009, 10:38:20 AM
I googled the answer and I have to say I doubt I would have ever guessed this.  Neat question :)

I try to ask questions which are very easily googled. I check before asking that you can get the answer with usually the most obvious query for google.

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 01, 2009, 10:44:28 AM

err...

sun dogs

Neither sun spots nor sun dogs.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on August 01, 2009, 11:05:15 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 01, 2009, 10:44:28 AM
sun dogs

No I did not mean sun spots.  I meant sun dogs.

Regarding Sun Dogs, they would also have the same property as the object which I am looking for if the object were the sun.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on August 01, 2009, 10:11:37 AM

Well, with that logic Alariste's Russian Ship of the Line question is more of an economics question. The question remains, which property of the observed object led to the conclusion that Helium must exist.

I answered it!  It's detectability allowed the conclusion that it must exist.  As with all things.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

The blurriness around the edges?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on August 01, 2009, 06:02:50 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 01, 2009, 10:11:37 AM

I answered it!  It's detectability allowed the conclusion that it must exist.  As with all things.

OK, wrong. The object has been detectable since either 540 million years ago or when it came into existence, which ever is later.