News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I don't have anything; someone else can give the next question.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

In 1856, the city of Charleston gave Congressman Preston Brooks a cane with what inscription?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Are you sure that the city actually gave him one with that, though?  Do you have a link corroborating it?  I thought it was just a thing that a lot of gifted canes to him had on them.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Barrister

I think there was some merit to the Yi rule. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2009, 12:58:13 AM

I'm sorry the question I asked that was answered 7 minutes later was too obscure for you.

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 31, 2009, 01:06:23 AM

I'm sorry the question I asked that was answered 7 minutes later was too obscure for you.

...by a fellow sourthern American.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2009, 01:08:41 AM

Floor's yours, counselor.  I'm too tired to come up with a decent, non-Yi violating question at the moment.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2009, 01:08:41 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 31, 2009, 01:06:23 AM

It is something taught In junior high in the US.  I wouldn't doubt a great many Americans would know it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maximus

Of course there was. Why the hell was it dropped?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on August 31, 2009, 07:17:29 AM
Of course there was. Why the hell was it dropped?
Six months without a question?

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 31, 2009, 07:34:32 AM
Six months without a question?
Does it necessarily follow that that rule was the cause?