News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

No idea, probably has something to do with vegetables.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2009, 11:55:11 AM
Quote from: Viking on August 31, 2009, 11:37:47 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2009, 11:06:16 AM
During the Klondike Gold Rush of 1898, one prospector, Charles Anderson, became famous as the "Lucky Swede".

What did he do to earn that nickname?

He got into selling whiskey or mining supplies?

Edit: ehh.. that might have made him "the smart swede"

Indeed.  It is often said that more gold was made by prospecting the miner's pockets than was made in the hills of the Klondike.

But no.  As mentioned, the Lucky Swede was a miner.
Then it has to be something specific about how or where he found the gold that made it a fluke.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Maybe he used rutabagas in panning for gold.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

I have always supported the Yi rule. I hope it gets reinstated.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on August 31, 2009, 03:01:16 PM

Thank God people are coming to their senses on this.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 31, 2009, 03:21:07 PM

If it's reinstated this thread will quickly die. Most people, even people on this board know far more about the history of their nation than that of others.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 31, 2009, 02:49:56 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2009, 11:55:11 AM
Quote from: Viking on August 31, 2009, 11:37:47 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2009, 11:06:16 AM
During the Klondike Gold Rush of 1898, one prospector, Charles Anderson, became famous as the "Lucky Swede".

What did he do to earn that nickname?

He got into selling whiskey or mining supplies?

Edit: ehh.. that might have made him "the smart swede"

Indeed.  It is often said that more gold was made by prospecting the miner's pockets than was made in the hills of the Klondike.

But no.  As mentioned, the Lucky Swede was a miner.
Then it has to be something specific about how or where he found the gold that made it a fluke.

And what do you think that "something specific" was?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 31, 2009, 03:29:43 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 31, 2009, 03:21:07 PM

If it's reinstated this thread will quickly die. Most people, even people on this board know far more about the history of their nation than that of others.

WTF? you sure you're not getting this the wrong way round? I can ask questions about minor characters in the Sagas of secondary importance. I'm sure the spanish can ask about the cum stains on Franco's pants, the 'murricans about which brand of canned horseradish the donner party used as relish and the germans about exactly which of the two village breweries in Bad Homburg adopted the Reinheitgebot first. So unless you want this thread to degenerate into in-joke-ping-pong then we need the Yi Rule.

And if you want to argue against the Yi Rule, then I suggest you do so after you tell me

"What do a former Telia executive and a man who had his head impaled by King Olaf Tryggvason have in common?"

N.B. this is for timmay only. The rest of you don't need to worry about this one.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 31, 2009, 03:29:43 PM

But that's exactly the problem Jimmy.  My question is an extremely easy question if you know anything at all about gold rush history.  But I could ask an even easier question and probably no one on this board could get the answer, because gold rush history isn't widely known all over the world.

By forcing people to answer question about other countries, it hopefully ensures that questions are about topics that are widely known all over the world.

Oexmelin

Follow Yi rule. Unless you are capable of either tying your national trivia question to an international event or an event of a larger scope than local politics or are giving hints which might enable an informed participant to guess/answer.

Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

People can ask madly esoteric and unanswerable questions about a country not their own as well.  Dropping the Yi rule doesn't change the prevailing spirit, which is questions that are tough and informative but not impossible and useless.

Barrister

Charley Anderson was one of a whole community of prospectors living in a small community called Forty Mile.  In early 1896 George Carmack, Skookum Jim and Tagish Charlie made an enormous discovery of gold on Rabbit Creek (quickly renamed to Bonanza Creek), a tributary of the Klondike River.  The community of Forty Mile quickly emptied and all the prospectors struck up claims in the Klondike area.

Charley Anderson delayed leaving Forty Mile, and when he arrived in the Klondike all the good prospects were taken.  He took to drinking heavily.  One night during a binge he agreed to buy a claim from another miner for $800.  The next morning he was horrified - it was widely expected that claim would be worthless.  Anderson tried to sell his claim, but there were no takers.

Nearly out of money he figured he had no other option but to start mining his claim.

He took out one million dollars worth of gold, and was forever known as the Lucky Swede.

But as happened to so many Klondike gold kings, by the end of his life the money was spent, his dancing-girl wife had left him, and he was back resorting to menial labour to make ends meet.

I'll try thinking of a Yi-approved question, but if someone else can sneak in they're welcome to.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 31, 2009, 04:57:38 PM
People can ask madly esoteric and unanswerable questions about a country not their own as well.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2009, 05:05:05 PM
I'll try thinking of a Yi-approved question, but if someone else can sneak in they're welcome to.
:rolleyes: Why don't you just try thinking of a question you think is good.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 31, 2009, 05:53:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2009, 05:05:05 PM
:rolleyes: Why don't you just try thinking of a question you think is good.

I thought mine was a good question.  It's always an amusing story to tell. :)