Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Caliga

Quote from: Alatriste on October 19, 2009, 06:59:59 AM
IIRC the Romans crucified dogs
:mad: Thank Hod my ancestors dismantled that Evil Empire.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on October 19, 2009, 03:22:29 PM

They were tried and found guilty of treason. Instead of wiping them out completely, the SPQR in their clemency decided to spare them and instead crucify twelve of their descendants each year. As a warning to all the other traitorous dogs.

The Brain

Is Cal up next year? pls pls pls
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Alatriste

Open floor, ladies and gentlemen.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Caliga on October 19, 2009, 03:22:29 PM

They were never fully dismantled - they all got tryout offers from the Philadelphia Eagles.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 19, 2009, 05:27:37 PM
They were never fully dismantled - they all got tryout offers from the Philadelphia Eagles.
Might as well be dismantled then... not like they're ever gonna win a Super Bowl in that case.  :(

Razgovory

Oh I thought of it.  At least I hope it's right.  Who was the last American executed for treason against the British crown.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Caliga

Razgovory

Caliga

Agelastus

Quote from: Caliga on October 19, 2009, 06:36:33 PM
amirite?  That was a guess.  :huh:

Apparently so.

I did not know William Joyce was born in the USA until I just checked. As I've said before, you really do learn something new every day. That's why I love this thread...

QuoteJoyce was captured by British forces in northern Germany just as the war ended, tried, and eventually hanged for treason on 3 January 1946. Joyce's defence team, appointed to him by the court, argued that, as an American citizen and naturalised German, Joyce could not have been convicted of treason against the British Crown. However, the prosecution successfully argued on the basis of a technicality that having lied about his nationality to obtain a British passport and to vote, Joyce owed allegiance to the King.

Better wait for Raz to confirm it, of course.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

You are right as far as I know.  I thought it was a cool question though.  A man executed for treason by a country he was not even a citizen for.  I don't think anyone in the US cared about this miscarriage of justice.  It does say a lot about the special relationship between the US and UK that the US didn't try to save it's own citizen from British executioners.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2009, 07:06:23 PM
You are right as far as I know.  I thought it was a cool question though.  A man executed for treason by a country he was not even a citizen for.  I don't think anyone in the US cared about this miscarriage of justice.  It does say a lot about the special relationship between the US and UK that the US didn't try to save it's own citizen from British executioners.

It says more about our attitude toward Nazi mouthpieces.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?