News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Savonarola

Quote from: Razgovory on October 16, 2009, 03:30:49 PM
I really don't know what the question is about though.  Is it President Andrew Johnson, LBJ, Ben Johnson?

Samuel Johnson :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

Quote from: Viking on October 16, 2009, 03:33:22 PM
Close enough. Bozzy.

What a thoroughly enlightening question and answer session.  I've learned so very much.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

Quote from: Habbaku on October 16, 2009, 03:33:56 PM
Close enough. Bozzy.

What a thoroughly enlightening question and answer session.  I've learned so very much.

The quality of the questions goes up and down.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Habbaku on October 16, 2009, 03:30:23 PM
Asking vague questions in this thread originated with you. 
:lol: Suuuure it did.  btw someone actually got the vague question you're referencing, so it couldn't have been *that* vague.  I should say in my defense that I try to intentionally ask questions I think people will guess with relative ease, but not be so easy as to be a joke.  Obviously you can't always get it correct, since it's a judgment call as to when a question crosses the line from 'relatively obscure' to 'too obscure to be guessed'.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Savonarola

Close enough. Bozzy.

In 1856, 18 year old chemist William Henry Perkins was experimenting with coal tar in order to produce synthetic quinine.  What he discovered instead was the first artificial dye.  What color ws the dye?

Maximus

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Viking

ulmont

Quote from: Savonarola on October 16, 2009, 03:49:46 PM
Close enough. Bozzy.

In 1856, 18 year old chemist William Henry Perkins was experimenting with coal tar in order to produce synthetic quinine.  What he discovered instead was the first artificial dye.  What color ws the dye?

Purple?

Savonarola

Quote from: ulmont on October 16, 2009, 03:57:17 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on October 16, 2009, 03:49:46 PM
Close enough. Bozzy.

Purple?

Yes; the French called the purplish dye "Mauve" and it became so popular in fashion the subsequent decade was called by some "The Mauve Decade."  Perkins went on to make the first artificial dye factory and retired from that at age 35 in order to return to chemical research.