News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

OK easy one: What was the nick-name of Austrian Christian Social Party leader Dolfuss and why?

Pat

This is the fascist leader who seized power and defeated the social democrats in a brief civil war.

Eddie Teach

Doofus. Because it sounds like his real name.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Doll Face.  Because he was a strikingly pretty man.

Syt

Quote from: miglia on October 17, 2009, 08:08:14 PM
OK easy one: What was the nick-name of Austrian Christian Social Party leader Dolfuss and why?

I ... I don't know. Name's dollfuß, btw.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I looked it up and it's rather cute.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Pat

OK maybe not as easy as I thought.

Millimetternich, because he was really short (~150-155 cm)

Floor's open.

Alatriste

OK, a really dirty question: although the matter is - understandably - mentioned but rarely, soldiers quartered in barracks during the XVIII and XIX often had to pee in big tanks were urine was stored for weeks or even months. And there was a very good reason for that stinking obligation...

Syt

The urine was collected for further use in the gunpowder production. Saltpeter?
—Stephen Jay Gould

HisMajestyBOB

The urine was used in leathermaking?
But I think Syt has it.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Admiral Yi

So they could test for performance enhancing drugs.

Alatriste

Quote from: Syt on October 19, 2009, 03:36:09 AM
The urine was collected for further use in the gunpowder production. Saltpeter?

Bingo. Black gunpowder was roughly 3/4 saltpeter and one of the best sources - if no the best - was human urine. Even after guano replaced it in many applications, soldiers still had to endure this ordeal in order to save some money for the state. Pecunia non olet, they say...

Martinus

Ok I will put the question forth before Syt is able to post. It's probably an easy one but I thought it's a fun thing.

Each year Romans would crucify several animals of a single species, while having animals of another species watch it as honored guests. What species were these, respectively, and what was the origin of this strange custom?

Admiral Yi

Wolves.  Teat, founders, suckled at.

I guess.

Alatriste

I just remembered (even if I can't say where or when I read about this, perhaps Indro Montanelli, or some M. Didius Falco novel).

IIRC the Romans crucified dogs, and the honored guests were geese. They were commemorating the famous occasion in which Gauls tried to take the Capitolium by night climbing the hill and the dogs didn't bark while Juno's sacred geese, good, solid patriotic birds, made such a noise that the Romans woke up in time to repeal the invaders.