Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: ulmont on October 22, 2009, 09:32:21 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 22, 2009, 08:55:19 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 22, 2009, 07:17:47 AM
Le Duc Tho. Heard that on Jeopardy recently.

I got it through the white text on Yi's post.

The white text is annoying; if I browse from my phone, the text is not hidden.

It's not hidden for me on my PC.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Pat

I can read it against the blue background without high-lighting it

The Brain

White text is verboten in the quiz thread.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maximus

Yea that's a little too easy to see.

Admiral Yi

How hard is it to not read the part that says answer?  :rolleyes:

But OK, won't do it any more.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 22, 2009, 01:19:04 PM
How hard is it to not read the part that says answer?  :rolleyes:

But OK, won't do it any more.

Is that the next question?  That doesn't have much to do with history.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Pat

Who was the last military leader to conquer a country with an all-cavalry army, and when?

Eddie Teach

That was probably whoever was playing Europa Universalis last.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: miglia on October 22, 2009, 10:25:03 PM
Who was the last military leader to conquer a country with an all-cavalry army, and when?

Dino or regular?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Alatriste

The Baron Ungern von Sternberg, Mongolia, during the Russian Civil War?

Pat

Quote from: Alatriste on October 23, 2009, 12:17:34 AM
The Baron Ungern von Sternberg, Mongolia, during the Russian Civil War?

Correct. :thumbsup:

Who may or may not, by the way, have believed that he was a reincarnation of Genghis Khan.

You're up.

Pat

There's also a nice statue of the Mongolian national hero Sükhbaatar, considered second only to Genghis Khan, in the central Sükhbaatar square in Ulan Bataar, celebrating Sükhbaatars victory over Ungern-Sternberg.

Alatriste

OK, another bit of Napoleonic trivia, interesting I hope

When Murat became King of Naples one of his first concerns was improving the army in number and quality, since Joseph had entirely neglected it. One of his plans was issuing eagles to the regiments, after the French model, and he asked Napoleon his permission.

Napoleon absolutely hated the idea. The eagle was his personal emblem, and on top of that the reputation of  the Neapolitans was abysmal; that Joseph had resorted to pressing thousands of convicts to get the number of men his brother demanded didn't help, but even before the French conquest the army of the Neapolitan Bourbons was one of the worst in Europe, if not the worst; they would quickly lose their eagles, that was a given. However, he didn't want to insult Murat telling him that... What alternative did the Emperor find?   

Pat

He said they could have some other nice symbol instead?

Viking

They should use a trophy taken from the enemy in place of an eagle.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.