News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

History Trivia Thread Reducks

Started by Admiral Yi, July 22, 2009, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

The last territorial claim by the United Kingdom (to date) was made in 1955.  What was that claim?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HisMajestyBOB

Suez canal zone?

EDIT: Or Antarctica.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

I never got to ask my question. Fuck all y'all!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Caliga

Valdemar

Rockall in the North Atlantic?

I remember as a kid seeing the British hoist a man down there to restake the claims against the evil Norwegian Empire to ensure that they would keep the rights to the "Island" and the seabed below

V

Viking

Quote from: Valdemar on October 20, 2009, 06:04:50 AM

I remember as a kid seeing the British hoist a man down there to restake the claims against the evil Norwegian Empire to ensure that they would keep the rights to the "Island" and the seabed below

V

on a related topic

There is a little rock (about 10 sq meters) in the ocean almost 200 nautical miles north of iceland that is called Kópasker that was weathering away, so the Icelandic government actually sent out an expedition with concrete to rebuild the little rock to keep the extra 200 nautical miles of our economic zone.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Viking on October 20, 2009, 06:09:00 AM

V

on a related topic

There is a little rock (about 10 sq meters) in the ocean almost 200 nautical miles north of iceland that is called Kópasker that was weathering away, so the Icelandic government actually sent out an expedition with concrete to rebuild the little rock to keep the extra 200 nautical miles of our economic zone.

And soon it will all belong to the European Empire. :(

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

You are correct sir.  But I think the reason for the annexation was to claim an EEZ around it with Iceland in mind, not Norway.  I think the two countries even had a few naval confrontations over Rockall and the Rockall Bank (obviously no shots were fired. -_- )

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on October 20, 2009, 07:05:35 AM

You are correct sir.  But I think the reason for the annexation was to claim an EEZ around it with Iceland in mind, not Norway.  I think the two countries even had a few naval confrontations over Rockall and the Rockall Bank (obviously no shots were fired. -_- )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_Wars

shots were fired.. but then again shotguns don't really work against destroyers
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valdemar

Quote from: Caliga on October 20, 2009, 07:05:35 AM

OK :)

Well I can't think of one right now, so if Syt beats me to it he can have his go

V

Caliga

Interesting... did not know that.  But by shots I was more referring to salvos from battleships and the like (much to Neil's disappointment). ^_^

Valdemar

Right, I thought of one.

The REAL Don Juan d'Austria is buried in Spain in a Sarcophagues depicting him in full size.

By tradition the statue has a specific feature that represents a part of his court role, a part often used in his myth. What is that feature and what is it supposedly representing?

V

HisMajestyBOB