Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Lettow77

An inspired guess, but no.

Edit: to caligula, anyway. You other two are merely wrong  :P
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Syt

24 hour rule.

In 1982 the biggest killing spree in modern history took place.

A police officer who had a falling out with his girlfriend got drunk and took weapons and grenades from the police armory. He killed the emergency operators to prevent emergency calls to come through, then descended onto the streets and started going from door to door, gaining entrance as police officer to kill the inhabitants.

After 8 hours he killed himself and three hostages with two grenades. The killing spree left 58 dead (including the perp) and 35 wounded.

In which country did the incident take place?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HisMajestyBOB

At first I thought New Zealand, but the circumstances aren't as you described. That one hit ~30, though.

So, Australia?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Just looked it up, and he's right, assuming wiki is correct.

Also, I was mixing up:
Port Arthur Massacre
And this Kiwi guy
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

Yep, South Korea is correct. HVC has the floor. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Lettow77

For the record, it was Eliza Lynch, courtesan-turned-mistress of paraguayan ruler solano lopez. She was the woman behind the man, influencing his terrible ideas, until he declared war on uruguay, argentina and brazil at the same time.

It did not work, but he did manage to lose over two thirds of the male population of his country.

Eddie Teach

How much was combat deaths and how much emigration?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 27, 2009, 09:01:38 AM
How much was combat deaths and how much emigration?
It was a massa-cree.

Lettow77

Pretty much no emmigration at all. It helps that paraguay is landlocked, and was fighting all but one of it's neighbours. 

Lopez was tilting at windmills- he actually dreamed of conquering South America. The only thing he won paraguay was polygamy-by-necessity in the postwar era, and mass graves.

The example, however, makes me review the South's demographic crisis in the war. Losing one fourth of all white males, roughly along the lines of france's losses in WW1 and Germany's in WW2, seems less inspiring. I had previously assumed that to be the breaking point for civilised peoples at war, but it transpires that the South had more blood to shed on the altar of independence but, to our eternal shame, was unwilling to do so against impossible odds.

Pat

The war all-but-over and you've lost. Why sacrifice your life on the altar of independence? For what good?