And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2020, 01:11:24 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2020, 12:39:17 PM
I have a soft spot for Philadelphia despite never having been there: Rocky, cheesesteaks, it's Always Sunny, Gritty, rioting sportsfans and I've met loads of Americans travelling and the few I've met from Philadelphia have been great fun and have an amazing accent.

Wanted to visit for a while - mainly to try the cheesesteaks in their natural territory.
Amazing accent? :hmm:
I like the American accents that are, to my ear, distinctive. Philly is definitely one of them :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

It happens. I sound more Austrian than German these days.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2020, 01:16:59 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2020, 01:15:47 PM
Come to the proposed languish meet up - you can show us all the best places! 😀
What proposed Languish meet up? :huh:

Just a thought for now - some of us were thinking that, once the pandemic is over (if it is over), we might do a Languish meet up in Philly, as a bit of celebration.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 01:15:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 01:13:37 PM
Why did he move to Malta? Tired of those snowy Philly winters I guess.

He's Maltese :mellow:

Good people
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 01:18:36 PM

Hey did Hitler have a big Austrian/South German accent? Just curious.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 01:18:13 PM
Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2020, 01:16:59 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2020, 01:15:47 PM
Come to the proposed languish meet up - you can show us all the best places! 😀
What proposed Languish meet up? :huh:

Malthus wants us all to go to Philly at some point when this pandemic is over. Or when Dorsey just convinces us all to ignore it.

Been to Philly before, but would love any excuse to visit back the US. PLus I've never been in any Languish meet.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 12:47:57 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 06, 2020, 11:50:28 AM
The context totally changes if Democrats pick up the Senate seats, but focusing just on the headlines of Biden winning Georgia is missing something.

If the Democrats somehow take one or both of those Senate seats in January then we can talk about how purple Georgia is going to be.

Barely beating Trump with lots of Libertarian votes is not going to cut it.

Agree. The Senate seats are the biggest deal (arguably the state legislature, but not sure what to do about that).

The Senate seats will be very interesting. I can't imagine many people splitting tickets, so I guess they go the same way.

-BOTH republicans are incumbents involved in insider trading accusations after early covid-19 briefings.
-One democrat is an Atlanta white dude and the other a black minister--they complement each other well--the two factions of the democratic party in Georgia has a candidate to turn out for.
-The Democrats won't have Trump to get their base to the polls.
-The Republicans won't have Trump to get the rednecks to the polls (and I imagine some will be angry at the state GOP for allowing Biden to "steal" the state from Trump).

Republicans are the favorite--it seems they win every special election in Georgia.

Shouldn't a languish meet be in Gettysburg if it is going to be in PA? (trying an ACW hijack of the meet location)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 01:20:00 PM

Hard to say - his speeches were quite exaggerated (though he made an effort for proper German, I'd say?), and we have very little record of how he spoke provately. Can't say I ever really paid much attention to it or listened to many of his speeches. While he had certain speech mannerism that are popular in parodies, I don't think they were particularly Austrian.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 01:23:37 PM
Hard to say - his speeches were quite exaggerated (though he made an effort for proper German, I'd say?), and we have very little record of how he spoke provately. Can't say I ever really paid much attention to it or listened to many of his speeches. While he had certain speech mannerism that are popular in parodies, I don't think they were particularly Austrian.
Isn't there a recording of him speaking with Mannerheim, in which he sounds totally different in terms of dialect, tone of voice, etc.?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maladict

Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2020, 01:09:24 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2020, 12:33:12 PM
Did I mention that I love Philadelphia? I've never been there before, but watching the numbers creep up there ...
:)

If you ever go, don't go to Geno's or Pat's.  You want to go to Steve's Prince of Steaks instead.  Same or higher quality, much shorter lines/no lines at all.

Dalessandro's is the place to go, or so I was told. Actually, I was taken there without being told anything.
It's all about the food with those folks.

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2020, 01:19:18 PM
Just a thought for now - some of us were thinking that, once the pandemic is over (if it is over), we might do a Languish meet up in Philly, as a bit of celebration.
I'd be down, though when I'm up there I'm always in Jersey now, so I guess I could hit it up on the way to Jersey, or back from.

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2020, 01:25:13 PM
Isn't there a recording of him speaking with Mannerheim, in which he sounds totally different in terms of dialect, tone of voice, etc.?

That's about the only one, I think. Again, never really paid much attention to it. Or cared. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

Quote from: Maladict on November 06, 2020, 01:25:24 PM
Dalessandro's is the place to go, or so I was told. Actually, I was taken there without being told anything.
It's all about the food with those folks.
Never heard of it.  Keep in mind there's a steak shop on practically every corner in Philly.  Steve's is actually in Langhorne, not Philly proper.

Maladict

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 01:20:00 PM

While hanging out near Berchtesgaden I did notice that distinctive rolling R quite a lot among the locals.