News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2020, 01:18:21 PM
I like the American accents that are, to my ear, distinctive. Philly is definitely one of them :lol:
My uncle has what I think of as a classic, strong Philly accent.  I'll put up a video of a speech he gave in TBR.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 01:23:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 01:20:00 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 01:18:36 PM
It happens. I sound more Austrian than German these days.

Hey did Hitler have a big Austrian/South German accent? Just curious.

Hard to say - his speeches were quite exaggerated (though he made an effort for proper German, I'd say?), and we have very little record of how he spoke provately. Can't say I ever really paid much attention to it or listened to many of his speeches. While he had certain speech mannerism that are popular in parodies, I don't think they were particularly Austrian.

What about his "r" sound?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2020, 01:26:42 PM
Quote from: Maladict on November 06, 2020, 01:25:24 PM
Dalessandro's is the place to go, or so I was told. Actually, I was taken there without being told anything.
It's all about the food with those folks.
Never heard of it.  Keep in mind there's a steak shop on practically every corner in Philly.  Steve's is actually in Langhorne, not Philly proper.

Well, it's not near a gas station.  :P

Valmy

Here is that Mannerheim recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9AVu6KupNg

But I have a hard time accepting that answer. American politicians with regional accents like JFK, LBJ, FDR, and Dubya are really distinctive. They don't go away when giving a speech.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on November 06, 2020, 01:28:07 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 01:23:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 01:20:00 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 01:18:36 PM
It happens. I sound more Austrian than German these days.

Hey did Hitler have a big Austrian/South German accent? Just curious.

Hard to say - his speeches were quite exaggerated (though he made an effort for proper German, I'd say?), and we have very little record of how he spoke provately. Can't say I ever really paid much attention to it or listened to many of his speeches. While he had certain speech mannerism that are popular in parodies, I don't think they were particularly Austrian.

What about his "r" sound?

So exaggerated it's more parody than accent.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2020, 12:45:16 PM
It would be awesome when this shit year is over and the pandemic is done, to do a Languish trip to Philadelphia ... may be a dream, but a fun one. 😀
I'm in.  :D

Also, for the LotR fans among us...

https://www.reddit.com/r/philadelphia/comments/jozllr/on_the_dawn_of_the_third_day_look_to_the_east/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 01:30:12 PM

But I have a hard time accepting that answer. American politicians with regional accents like JFK, LBJ, FDR, and Dubya are really distinctive. They don't go away when giving a speech.
Maggie Thatcher's a famous example here. She did elocution lessons when she became Tory leader - largely because people thought she was "shrill" and housewifely. So it lowered her voice significantly (it's really interesting seeing pre and post examples) but also got rid of quite a distinctive Lincolnshire burr.

From what I understand she kept her new voice even in private conversations.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how Gillian Anderson handles Thatcher's voice in The Queen. :)

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2020, 12:39:17 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2020, 12:33:12 PM
Did I mention that I love Philadelphia? I've never been there before, but watching the numbers creep up there ...
I have a soft spot for Philadelphia despite never having been there: Rocky, cheesesteaks, it's Always Sunny, Gritty, rioting sportsfans and I've met loads of Americans travelling and the few I've met from Philadelphia have been great fun and have an amazing accent.

Wanted to visit for a while - mainly to try the cheesesteaks in their natural territory.

The cheesesteaks are, honestly,  nothing to write home about.  And I tried them in one of their traditional spots (Mihali took me there back in the day).

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2020, 01:35:24 PM
I'm actually looking forward to seeing how Gillian Anderson handles Thatcher's voice in The Queen. :)

The Crown!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 06, 2020, 01:38:59 PM
Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2020, 01:35:24 PM

The Crown!
Oops.... yeah. :blush:

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 01:30:12 PM

A small hint of an accent maybe, but mostly high German. Not even very Bavarian which you might expect because he spent so much time in Munich. Keep in mind that Hitler wasn't overly fond of his rural heritage and obsessively rehearsed his speeches so that might explain it.

A parallel might be Austrian actors in German TV shows. Many can speak High German without Austrian inflections because of their acting school training, and there were actors where I wasn't aware they were Austrian, originally (like Christoph Waltz who first showed up in made for TV German movies). A similar case might be Scottish actors losing their Scots accent for some roles.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zoupa

Cheesesteaks are one of the worst things I've ever eaten. Shit meat with shit cheese with shit bread. It's not even good as a fast food.

The Larch

Quote from: Zoupa on November 06, 2020, 01:54:10 PM
Cheesesteaks are one of the worst things I've ever eaten. Shit meat with shit cheese with shit bread. It's not even good as a fast food.

In some places you can get decent cheese with them, but some of the traditionalists will only use the spray variety.  :x