News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Democrats should be pushing to expedite the remaining counts and the certifying process and also to expedite resolution of all Trumpist legal challenges.  The state Supreme Courts of the three "blue wall" states all are friendly and thus presumably can be counted on to reverse any obstacles to certifying the Electors on time.  I don't think a federal judge would have the chutzpah to enjoin a state from certifying electors before the deadline but one has to just hope that doesn't happen and act very quickly to mandamus or appeal if it does.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Larch

QuoteRick Santorum on CNN literally saying "Democrats need to give Republicans, including Trump, time and space to work through their feelings about losing."

Man, just imagine the mockery if it was the other way around.  :lmfao:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2020, 02:06:49 PM

Everyone's going to be horny for Thatcher and it's going to be gross :lol:

:hmm:

Sheilbh

Two days in and Republicans are starting to care about the debt/deficit - predictable and inevitable but still shameless:
QuoteSenate committee talk from Graham: If we keep the Senate which I think we will and I become Budget chairman. I'd like to create a dialogue about how can we finally begin to address the debt.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on November 06, 2020, 02:22:09 PM
QuoteRick Santorum on CNN literally saying "Democrats need to give Republicans, including Trump, time and space to work through their feelings about losing."

Man, just imagine the mockery if it was the other way around.  :lmfao:

How very snowflakey.
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2020, 02:26:24 PM
Two days in and Republicans are starting to care about the debt/deficit - predictable and inevitable but still shameless:
QuoteSenate committee talk from Graham: If we keep the Senate which I think we will and I become Budget chairman. I'd like to create a dialogue about how can we finally begin to address the debt.

Case in point on my issues with the Republican Party.  <_<
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Grey Fox

Taxes?  :w00t: :w00t:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

This tweet was fun.  :lol:

QuoteThe guy the GOP is sending to war in Philly vs. the actual Lt. Governor of Pennsylvania

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on November 06, 2020, 02:30:53 PM

Just because Lindsey Graham is a galactic-sized hypocrite doesn't mean he's wrong.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2020, 02:35:46 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 06, 2020, 02:30:53 PM

Just because Lindsey Graham is a galactic-sized hypocrite doesn't mean he's wrong.

The hypocrisy is pretty much across the whole party, though, at this point. "Let's wreck shit and blame the Democrats for not picking up the pieces fast enough!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Saying correct things selectively is still being dishonest, just like enforcing the law selectively is still being arbitrary.

The Minsky Moment

I guess that means that the GOP now favors repealing the Trump tax cut and increasing taxes on the rich? Must be, right?

Joking of course.  Accusation of mere hypocrisy is an understatement. Its a straight-on put up job. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

I mean said this yesterday:
QuoteBut I think their priority will be to win and for Biden to lose - but I think the work for that starts now, not in January. If they aren't wargaming how they're going to damage the new administration then they're in the wrong job. I don't think at this stage they particularly care about Trump, or even his supporters, because the election's over - it's just counting now (though they might do some "don't let them steal this one" GOTV stuff in Georgia for the Senate races).

And I think the best strategy to that is to be obstructive and low profile - which McConnell's great at, pivot to the national debt and attack big spending plans by Biden-Pelosi, but stop just short of shut-down. I think people will blame the President because he's higher profile and Pelosi because she showboats more than McConnell.

You know it's not like they're raising this because they've had a sudden attack of conscience or rectitude about the deficit. It's obviously just their political strategy - and it will probably work - but that's because too many people are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt like this, or say "well on the one hand they clearly apply this principle selectively and for partisan principle, on the other hand it is a good point" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

I am excited about that. Let's go back to the 1990s tax rates. I think that might do it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

He is right. But when the Republicans have power they work to increase the debt.

And we had the debt problem solved before Dubya made it a problem again for no reason at all.

If they actually cared about securing the federal debt for the future we could solve it. But none of the solutions are populist friendly sadly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."