And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 11:43:52 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2020, 11:28:31 AM
You on the other hand were opposed to Trump for those same reasons - but also because he was a Republican.

WE JUST FUCKING SAID THAT WE WOULD ALSO OPPOSE TRUMP IS HE WAS A DEMOCRAT.

Jesus Christ.

You never really know until you get there, but given the absence of any evidence to the contrary I fully accept that you, and Meri, and any other Languish Dems would fully vote for a GOP candidate instead of a Trump-like Democrat. :hug:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2020, 11:24:53 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 06, 2020, 11:20:12 AM
Traditionally GOP suburbs voted against Trump but voted for their local GOP candidates
I wonder about this. Was 2018 just a normal mid-terms? Was it perhaps a way for voters to rebuke Trump whereas in this election they can vote directly against Trump while voting for Congressional Republicans?

One other thought - people are energised to vote for a Presidential candidate, especially at the minute. But for coat-tails you need a traditional GOTV campaign etc which the Democrats just stopped because of covid (I think this was potentially a catastrophic decision/over-reaction).

Also how awful is Martha McSally to lose repeated Senate elections, even she is the incumbent :ph34r:

Thinking about it, the Dems probably made as many gains as they could in 2018, especially with Trump not on the ballot. They just couldn't keep up that sort of pace when Donald was on the ballot this year and he turned out his voters in droves.

The Georgia runoffs will be especially interesting now.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 06, 2020, 12:01:47 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2020, 11:24:53 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 06, 2020, 11:20:12 AM
Traditionally GOP suburbs voted against Trump but voted for their local GOP candidates
I wonder about this. Was 2018 just a normal mid-terms? Was it perhaps a way for voters to rebuke Trump whereas in this election they can vote directly against Trump while voting for Congressional Republicans?

One other thought - people are energised to vote for a Presidential candidate, especially at the minute. But for coat-tails you need a traditional GOTV campaign etc which the Democrats just stopped because of covid (I think this was potentially a catastrophic decision/over-reaction).

Also how awful is Martha McSally to lose repeated Senate elections, even she is the incumbent :ph34r:

Thinking about it, the Dems probably made as many gains as they could in 2018, especially with Trump not on the ballot. They just couldn't keep up that sort of pace when Donald was on the ballot this year and he turned out his voters in droves.

The Georgia runoffs will be especially interesting now.

Yeah, good point.

Lots of talk of the risk of Court packing incoming I assume.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on November 06, 2020, 11:46:19 AM
You on the other hand were opposed to Trump for those same reasons - but also because he was a Republican.

Jesus Christ.

Don't worry, Valmy. Seven people called him out, but I was the only one he felt a need to call out. This is clearly because I'm the extremist of the extremes of the Democrats here on Languish. :)

I didn't think it was a call out.  There's nothing wrong with opposing someone because of their political party - that's what democracy is all about.  But you were the one who commented on how odd it felt to see conservatives rooting against Trump and in favour of Biden.

If you prefer I can avoid replying to your political posts.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2020, 11:49:43 AM
You can see the conservative narrative post trump.  All is well.

I hope that is the conservative narrative. The narrative seems to be that some great electoral crime has occurred and must be fought tooth and nail.

I hope at some point people would get tired and want a return to normalcy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2020, 12:05:35 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 06, 2020, 11:46:19 AM

Jesus Christ.

Don't worry, Valmy. Seven people called him out, but I was the only one he felt a need to call out. This is clearly because I'm the extremist of the extremes of the Democrats here on Languish. :)

I didn't think it was a call out.  There's nothing wrong with opposing someone because of their political party - that's what democracy is all about.  But you were the one who commented on how odd it felt to see conservatives rooting against Trump and in favour of Biden.

If you prefer I can avoid replying to your political posts.

Oh I was definitely calling out your claim of being a Never Trumper.  Turns out it was always only about the front man and not his policies.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 12:08:25 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2020, 11:49:43 AM
You can see the conservative narrative post trump.  All is well.

I hope that is the conservative narrative. The narrative seems to be that some great electoral crime has occurred and must be fought tooth and nail.

I hope at some point people would get tired and want a return to normalcy.

You missed the point that was made in the rest of my post.

All is not well in the Republican party and anyone fool enough to believe that gets what they deserve.  Unfortunately the rest of the world suffers too.  So don't make that mistake.

merithyn

I honestly hope that the one thing that comes out of Trump's temper tantrum is that it disenfranchises his base from participating in all further elections. That would be his best legacy ever.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2020, 11:53:25 AM

Since Trump was quite literally a Democrat at several points in his life it's not hard to imagine a Democratic Trump.

Yes he could have easily been a Democratic populist amplifying all of our worst qualities. I would like to believe that that kind of thing would never get much traction here.

Thank God.

But if he had I know all the Republicans would have been like "well this would never happen to the Republican Party and our strong moral and conservative values".

The future for both parties is really up in the air. Joe Biden is the last gasp of the third way. Big changes are coming.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2020, 12:09:08 PM
Oh I was definitely calling out your claim of being a Never Trumper.  Turns out it was always only about the front man and not his policies.

There's lots I don't like about Trump's policies - his insistence on trade wars, his in-your-face-racism, his unconcern with the debt.

But would I have supported a sane, rational person who ran on that same platform, when the opponent was Hillary?  I dunno - it's hard to tease out where the insanity begins in his overall policy platform.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on November 06, 2020, 12:13:05 PM
I honestly hope that the one thing that comes out of Trump's temper tantrum is that it disenfranchises his base from participating in all further elections. That would be his best legacy ever.

From your lips to whatever power that can make that happen.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2020, 12:10:40 PM
You missed the point that was made in the rest of my post.

All is not well in the Republican party and anyone fool enough to believe that gets what they deserve.  Unfortunately the rest of the world suffers too.  So don't make that mistake.

I live in Texas. The Republican Party is getting progressively more idiotic by the day as the local good old boy Texas politicians get edged out by out of state radicals.  I don't think I will be making such a mistake. I think everybody in a state dominated by Republicans is going to see this kind of stuff going on. They are not going to be putting up a good show of implying everything is cool even if they wanted to.

Barrister

Sadly I wouldn't count on it.  The conservative media ecosystem is remarkably effective at editing out the worst of Trump's temper tantrums.  His base will never see it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2020, 12:14:25 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 06, 2020, 12:09:08 PM

There's lots I don't like about Trump's policies - his insistence on trade wars, his in-your-face-racism, his unconcern with the debt.

But would I have supported a sane, rational person who ran on that same platform, when the opponent was Hillary?  I dunno - it's hard to tease out where the insanity begins in his overall policy platform.

Exactly my point. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2020, 12:16:28 PM

Sadly I wouldn't count on it.  The conservative media ecosystem is remarkably effective at editing out the worst of Trump's temper tantrums.  His base will never see it.

BB, you are the base so long as it has a better front man.