US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2020, 10:52:25 AM
Quote from: merithyn on November 05, 2020, 10:21:35 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2020, 10:13:27 PM
GA 1,797  :menace:

It's so weird to me to see our Languish conservatives rooting for the fall of the Republican president. :unsure:

I mean, I understand this isn't a normal Republican or president, but still....

You know, I'm starting to come around to the view that the election results were a pretty great result all things considered.

Trump was defeated. #1 priority.  But beyond that, the GOP held the Senate (probably), gained seats in the House, did well apparently in state-level races.  I had wanted an utter GOP defeat as a way of utterly defeating Trumpism, but maybe the GOP doing well at every level except for President is just as effective.

Interesting. I thought you understood that for the most part the reason the United States has been a dysfunctional cesspit of disease is because of the Republican leadership above and beyond Trump.

Guess you didn't get that bit.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on November 06, 2020, 10:59:10 AM
I do fear that the republicans holding the senate and obstructing biden from doing anything might leads to strengthening the fascistly inclined out there and their belief that america needs a strong leader...

Yep, but hey, as long as the left doesn't win, right.  And why worry too much Malthus tells us that right wing populism leading to fascism is just as bad as left wing populism which leads to universal health care....

Solmyr

On the other hand, if GOP leadership now runs from Trump like rats from a sinking ship, it might tear the party in two and throw it into chaos, which is also good.

FunkMonk

Some theories on why the GOP did so well at the Congressional and state level while Trump lost bigly:

Traditionally GOP suburbs voted against Trump but voted for their local GOP candidates

Dem incompetence/overconfidence at running their Congressional campaigns

Biden running a good campaign to beat the President, overperforming where Congressional Dems got slaughtered
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 06, 2020, 11:20:12 AM
Some theories on why the GOP did so well at the Congressional and state level while Trump lost bigly:

Traditionally GOP suburbs voted against Trump but voted for their local GOP candidates

Dem incompetence/overconfidence at running their Congressional campaigns

Biden running a good campaign to beat the President, overperforming where Congressional Dems got slaughtered

I wonder whether down ballet candidates thought they would be swept along in the anticipated big blue wave and didn't do enough work getting their own vote out.

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 06, 2020, 11:20:12 AM
I wonder about this. Was 2018 just a normal mid-terms? Was it perhaps a way for voters to rebuke Trump whereas in this election they can vote directly against Trump while voting for Congressional Republicans?

One other thought - people are energised to vote for a Presidential candidate, especially at the minute. But for coat-tails you need a traditional GOTV campaign etc which the Democrats just stopped because of covid (I think this was potentially a catastrophic decision/over-reaction).

Also how awful is Martha McSally to lose repeated Senate elections, even she is the incumbent :ph34r:

Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on November 06, 2020, 11:03:49 AM

It's so weird to me to see our Languish conservatives rooting for the fall of the Republican president. :unsure:

You know, I'm starting to come around to the view that the election results were a pretty great result all things considered.

Trump was defeated. #1 priority.  But beyond that, the GOP held the Senate (probably), gained seats in the House, did well apparently in state-level races.  I had wanted an utter GOP defeat as a way of utterly defeating Trumpism, but maybe the GOP doing well at every level except for President is just as effective.

Interesting. I thought you understood that for the most part the reason the United States has been a dysfunctional cesspit of disease is because of the Republican leadership above and beyond Trump.

See this is where you and I are very different.  I was and am NeverTrump because of the man's manifest personal flaws and frailties.

You on the other hand were opposed to Trump for those same reasons - but also because he was a Republican.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Solmyr

Kayleigh McEnany just deleted all her tweets after October 31st. :D

PJL

Not sure how people can blame the Democrats on a GOTV failure when about 15 million extra people voted in this election. Can definitely see the argument that Trump did the work for them. Heck, even Trump got more votes this time,

Which leads me to another thing, I used to think that high turnout was a good thing for democracy. Now, I'm not so sure, I think it's a sign that democracy is in trouble.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2020, 11:28:31 AM
See this is where you and I are very different.  I was and am NeverTrump because of the man's manifest personal flaws and frailties.

You on the other hand were opposed to Trump for those same reasons - but also because he was a Republican.
I don't know about Meri but the bit I would add is that it is because of the Republican party's instittuional flaws and frailties, that he could succeed in their primary and as their candidate.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: Solmyr on November 06, 2020, 11:29:55 AM
Kayleigh McEnany just deleted all her tweets after October 31st. :D

There will be some smoke coming from the White House between now and January  :lol:

crazy canuck

No better indication of where conservatism is going.

Solmyr

Biden up 22k in Nevada now.

merithyn

Interesting. Given that I've voted for plenty of Republicans in the last 32 years of elections I've been involved in, that seems a far reach by you. :)

No, BB, my issue is with how the Republicans embraced Trump being Trump. For a start. And I've said for years that I think McConnell is outright evil in the way that he's wielded his power in the Senate. Again, not because of the R behind his name, but because of the absolute hypocrisy that he's exhibited and refusal to govern in good faith with anyone not a Republican.

I don't vote for a party. I vote for people. It used to be the Midwestern way until the current crop of Republicans changed that. No, BB. My problem is with Trump, his sycophants, and the people who have refused to govern in good faith with the other party.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Yeah in my county Biden got 10,000 move votes than the Congressional and Senatorial candidates for the Democrats. Five thousand people who voted for Biden went with third party candidates and 2,000 voted for the Senatorial candidate while voting for Joe Biden and 5,000 voted for the Republican Congressional candidate while voting for Joe Biden. And another 6,000 people just voted for Joe Biden or Donald Trump and left the rest of the ballot blank.

So the result was a 1.5 point win for Joe Biden but a three point loss in the Senate race and a five point loss in the House race.

Joe Biden's coattails were not exactly sweeping everybody along.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."