And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Sheilbh

From the Guardian - on CNN they were discussing who breaks the news:

In conversations with allies in recent days, President Trump has said he has no intention to concede the election to Joe Biden, even if his path to a second term in office is effectively blocked by losses in places like Georgia and Pennsylvania.

Aides, including his chief of staff Mark Meadows, have not attempted to bring Trump to terms of what's happening and have instead fed his baseless claim that the election is being stolen from him.

Trump's allies have grown concerned that someone is going to have to reckon with the President that his time in office is potentially coming to an end, though they have not decided who should be the one to do it. There has been talk of potentially Jared Kushner or Ivanka Trump doing so, sources said.
Surely the President will find out about this, as he does most things, from Fox and Friends? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2020, 10:43:06 AM

In conversations with allies in recent days, President Trump has said he has no intention to concede the election to Joe Biden, even if his path to a second term in office is effectively blocked by losses in places like Georgia and Pennsylvania.

Aides, including his chief of staff Mark Meadows, have not attempted to bring Trump to terms of what's happening and have instead fed his baseless claim that the election is being stolen from him.

Trump's allies have grown concerned that someone is going to have to reckon with the President that his time in office is potentially coming to an end, though they have not decided who should be the one to do it. There has been talk of potentially Jared Kushner or Ivanka Trump doing so, sources said.
Surely the President will find out about this, as he does most things, from Fox and Friends? :mellow:

:lol:

I wonder how long it'll be before we get a movie of this. I'm placing an outside bet on before Biden's term is over. Armando Iannucci better be scribbling now.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2020, 10:43:06 AM

STOPPING THE COUNT WAS AN ORDER!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on November 05, 2020, 10:21:35 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2020, 10:13:27 PM
GA 1,797  :menace:

It's so weird to me to see our Languish conservatives rooting for the fall of the Republican president. :unsure:

I mean, I understand this isn't a normal Republican or president, but still....

You know, I'm starting to come around to the view that the election results were a pretty great result all things considered.

Trump was defeated. #1 priority.  But beyond that, the GOP held the Senate (probably), gained seats in the House, did well apparently in state-level races.  I had wanted an utter GOP defeat as a way of utterly defeating Trumpism, but maybe the GOP doing well at every level except for President is just as effective.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on November 06, 2020, 10:52:25 AM
[but maybe the GOP doing well at every level except for President is just as effective.

:wacko:
Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

It's so weird to me to see our Languish conservatives rooting for the fall of the Republican president. :unsure:

You know, I'm starting to come around to the view that the election results were a pretty great result all things considered.

Trump was defeated. #1 priority.  But beyond that, the GOP held the Senate (probably), gained seats in the House, did well apparently in state-level races.  I had wanted an utter GOP defeat as a way of utterly defeating Trumpism, but maybe the GOP doing well at every level except for President is just as effective.

You want more obstruction of acually governing? Because that's how you get more obstruction of actually governing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 10:54:31 AM

You want more obstruction of acually governing? Because that's how you get more obstruction of actually governing.

Yeah this strikes me as a horrible outcome.

I would have thought traditional conservatives would be against the present day Republican Party as a whole.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

I had wanted an utter GOP defeat as a way of utterly defeating Trumpism, but maybe the GOP doing well at every level except for President is just as effective.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is a very strained maybe.

crazy canuck

Yeah, a lot of your posts have indicated that your Never Trumpism was always only related to the face of the the GOP rather than the deeper rot.  I suspect that is the same for most conservatives.   

Josquius

I do fear that the republicans holding the senate and obstructing biden from doing anything might leads to strengthening the fascistly inclined out there and their belief that america needs a strong leader...
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2020, 10:56:41 AM
Yeah this strikes me as a horrible outcome.

I would have thought traditional conservatives would be against the present day Republican Party as a whole.
I'd argue it's worse than Trump winning but losing the Senate, because I think he doesn't care about the Republican Party and is fundamentally transactional so it wouldn't surprise me if he actually, finally did Infrastructure Week etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Quote from: Tyr on November 06, 2020, 10:59:10 AM
I do fear that the republicans holding the senate and obstructing biden from doing anything might leads to strengthening the fascistly inclined out there and their belief that america needs a strong leader...

Yep. The GOP needed to be smashed in this election if it was to move on from Trumpism. It wasn't and so it won't.