And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2020, 03:33:49 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2020, 03:29:58 PM
And honestly, I find these results disapointing.  I really thought I was wrong and Donald Trump would be just a blip on the US political map, but über patriotism and insanity is the future of American politics, I guess.  Too many people like this style of politics, all in the Twitter rage, none on the actions.  People are so easily seduced by a sweet talker that it's depressing.  I fear this model is slowly getting imported over here. :(
I don't think you guys should assume that everyone voting for Trump is in love with him or anything.

A lot of people in 2016 voted for Trump, not because they liked him, but because they despised Hillary and viewed her as an existential threat to the republic.

I don't know if a lot of people voting for Trump in 2020 are mainly voting against Biden, but it seems possible too.

I don't think it is so much "against Biden" as hold-your-nose voting...or, the "Trump is an ass, but MAH IDEOLOGY" voting.

Caliga

Right, that too.  That especially describes evangelicals, I think.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on November 04, 2020, 03:51:15 PM
I have a suspicion that the reason is Covid.  The Biden campaign was loath to do the normal things like drag people to the polls on election day out of fear of spreading Covid.  Trump's people had no such fear as they don't seem to value human life.

Which was a terrible decision by democrats. If democracy is important enough to fight wars defending, then elections should be worth a bit of risk too.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

FunkMonk

I don't think most Trump voters were voting against Joe Biden. I think most Trump voters were voting for Donald Trump the man. They like him or they feel some sort of affinity or connection to the man as strange as that might seem. He fights their perceived enemies and he suffers for them. That explains a lot of the cult of personality surrounding him.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tonitrus

That sounds like the reasoning used for Hitler's alleged appeal at the time. :hmm:

DGuller

Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2020, 03:10:07 PM
Just wondering, what is the chance that it wasn't polling that was garbage, but vote counting?  We don't know how many ballots are considered voided, do we?  Maybe it's a horrifically high number.

I have a suspicion that the reason is Covid.  The Biden campaign was loath to do the normal things like drag people to the polls on election day out of fear of spreading Covid.  Trump's people had no such fear as they don't seem to value human life.
If that's true, then that's just criminal incompetence.  If you want to save people's lives from Covid, you make sure that the orange imbecile is not leading the fight against it, and that his enablers in the Senate are not in position to block everything you do.  The Democrats' lack of killer instinct in politics is unforgivable, because it cost lives and may very well cost us a democracy.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2020, 04:00:47 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2020, 03:10:07 PM
Just wondering, what is the chance that it wasn't polling that was garbage, but vote counting?  We don't know how many ballots are considered voided, do we?  Maybe it's a horrifically high number.

If that's true, then that's just criminal incompetence.  If you want to save people's lives from Covid, you make sure that the orange imbecile is not leading the fight against it, and that his enablers in the Senate are not in position to block everything you do.  The Democrats' lack of killer instinct in politics is unforgivable, because it cost lives and may very well cost us a democracy.
Biden was drafted.  On top of what you are saying, they've had a lack of charismatic and competent candidates for the last few elections.  Obama was something of an outlier.
PDH!

DGuller

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 04, 2020, 04:02:45 PM
Biden was drafted.  On top of what you are saying, they've had a lack of charismatic and competent candidates for the last few elections.  Obama was something of an outlier.
Obama isn't an outlier when it comes to lack of killer instinct, he is exhibit A.  In his first year he wasted the supermajority of a lifetime, and in his last year he still failed to appreciate that GOP was not bound by any rules in its pursuit of power.

Valmy

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 04, 2020, 04:02:45 PM

So is Trump the Republicans lacked charisma and star power since Reagan. Those kinds of talents don't come along much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

https://twitter.com/PattersonNBC/status/1324086177885003778

Steve Patterson
@PattersonNBC
#BREAKING: Large, animated crush of "stop the count" protestors trying to push their way into TCF hall in #Detroit where ballots are being counted.

They're being blocked by guards at the door.

Pizza boxes are pushed against the window to obstruct view. It's tense.
@NBCNews

Valmy

I mean Biden and Peters presently ahead so if they want to stop the count now that would be ok.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Larch

Michigan seems to be mathematically Biden's (60k votes of advantage with 54k votes remaining to be counted) but it's not yet being called.

Valmy

CNN just called Michigan for Biden.

I am not sure what is going on in Nevada and Arizona. Are they counting in secret or something? I am not seeing updated vote counts anywhere.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 04, 2020, 04:19:44 PM
CNN just called Michigan for Biden.

I am not sure what is going on in Nevada and Arizona. Are they counting in secret or something? I am not seeing updated vote counts anywhere.

I so hope this comes down to Arizona putting their thumb down to Trump.

Valmy

I to applaud Wisconsin and Michigan for finishing their counts so quickly under the circumstances. I don't know what those other states are doing.