News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

WaPo:

QuoteTrump campaign says it is filing lawsuit to halt Michigan vote count 'until meaningful access has been granted'

The Trump campaign said Wednesday that it is filing a lawsuit to halt the vote count in the battleground state of Michigan until state officials grant the campaign "meaningful access" to the ballot opening and counting process.

The move is the latest attempt by the Trump campaign to go on offense in a state where Biden is narrowly leading as results continue to be tallied after Election Day. As of Wednesday afternoon, large, mostly heavily Democratic jurisdictions, including Detroit, were still counting ballots in Michigan.

The state's 16 electoral votes could prove crucial in a presidential race that has gone down to the wire. Trump narrowly won Michigan four years ago.

"President Trump's campaign has not been provided with meaningful access to numerous counting locations to observe the opening of ballots and the counting process, as guaranteed by Michigan law," Trump campaign manager Bill Stepien said in a statement. "We have filed suit today in the Michigan Court of Claims to halt counting until meaningful access has been granted. We also demand to review those ballots which were opened and counted while we did not have meaningful access."

He added that Trump "is committed to ensuring that all legal votes are counted in Michigan and everywhere else."

Soon after the Trump campaign issued its statement, Biden responded in a three-word tweet: "Count every vote."

With an estimated 96 percent of the vote counted, unofficial results showed Biden leading Trump in Michigan by about 37,000 votes, or less than one percentage point, as of Wednesday afternoon.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

I have renamed the thread to make it more accurate.  Let's hope I don't have to amend it again.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Solmyr

What does that mean? Will it be halted now?

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on November 04, 2020, 02:34:22 PM
I have renamed the thread to make it more accurate.  Let's hope I don't have to amend it again.
dammit lips, should have amended it to month.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: Solmyr on November 04, 2020, 02:34:31 PM
the voting in Michigan? No it won't.

fromtia

Trump wins highest non white support for the GOP since 1960. Let that one sink in.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

katmai

Quote from: Solmyr on November 04, 2020, 02:29:41 PM
Does all this calling actually mean jack shit? :unsure:
we are going to be in for legal challenges for the next month, instead of just Florida like in 2000  it's going to be multiple states probably

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on November 04, 2020, 02:34:31 PM

Um this doesn't normally happen so no idea.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on November 04, 2020, 02:35:21 PM

Like I said - lets hope I don't have to do that...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on November 04, 2020, 02:37:13 PM
Quote from: katmai on November 04, 2020, 02:35:21 PM

Like I said - lets hope I don't have to do that...
because of recount demand and Michigan t won't be over this week.

Syt

At any rate, seeing how close the results are, I think we have final proof that Trump's win in 2016 was not a one time fluke. Enough people either like what he does, or buy into the belief that a Democrat led government would be worse than Trump's shitshow.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

So... With it being so close. What's the chance of faithless electors?
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2020, 02:43:38 PM
So... With it being so close. What's the chance of faithless electors?

I would say the chances of faithless electors goes way up when the election isn't close. Some electors like to make a statement when it won't effect the outcome.

No chance some Democratic elector is going to hand it to Trump and vice versa.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

There are a number of very big polling/projection misses at the state level. Just want to add one more (don't worry, I won't do a comprehensive list). Susan Collins is going to win Maine by about 9 points. Every poll in the nate silver forecast had Gideon winning, and silver projected Gideon to win by 2. For whatever reason, the Republican pollsters didn't seem to hit this one.

At a certain point, why waste money on pollsters and analysis? You can spitball almost as well.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

With what he has already been called for and with the addition of the states where he's currently leading (Michigan and Nevada) Biden would already be at 270 electoral votes.