News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US Election Week 2020

Started by Barrister, November 03, 2020, 01:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2020, 03:26:40 PM
Am I missing something?  This State seems to have been an anomaly in 2018, but otherwise, it's been solidly Republican since about the time I started following US politics (mid 1st to 2nd Clinton mandate).

No whatever momentum from 2018 has subsided for now. The suburbs moved a bit redwards from 2018 and there was no big turnout in the Tejano areas. Things seem to have just kind of locked in the new balance of power (I think...I haven't reviewed every race but it seems we at least held our Congressional gains from 2018) which is closer than before but still comfortably team Republican.

It was a hope based on 2018 and wondering if it indicated some kind of shift. Well it didn't.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2020, 03:29:58 PM
And honestly, I find these results disapointing.  I really thought I was wrong and Donald Trump would be just a blip on the US political map, but über patriotism and insanity is the future of American politics, I guess.  Too many people like this style of politics, all in the Twitter rage, none on the actions.  People are so easily seduced by a sweet talker that it's depressing.  I fear this model is slowly getting imported over here. :(
I don't think you guys should assume that everyone voting for Trump is in love with him or anything.

A lot of people in 2016 voted for Trump, not because they liked him, but because they despised Hillary and viewed her as an existential threat to the republic.

I don't know if a lot of people voting for Trump in 2020 are mainly voting against Biden, but it seems possible too.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2020, 03:29:45 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2020, 03:27:45 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2020, 03:19:39 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on November 04, 2020, 03:16:41 PM
Two years of McConnell blocking all of Biden's appointments, followed by the GOP taking the House in 2022 and picking up a seat in the Senate despite an unfavorable map. Yay.

Aren't there one or two decent republicans who will allow rational stuff through?
Were you, by any chance, living on Mars during the last decade? ;)
I recall one voting for the impeachment and hasn't one (two?) of the recently elected ones managed to do so specifically due to distancing themself from trumps shit?
Mitt Romney voted on impeachment for 1 of the charge, abuse of power, I think.
But he did vote for Trump's pick on the Supreme court, twice.

There were 2 who openly opposed Trump and they chose to retire rather than loose a primary.

As long as people like Derspiess will prefer voting for corrupt and inept Republican morons over any honest centrist Democrat, the GOP will be firmly entrenched where it is right now on the political specter.

I just don't see how can Biden do anything without a majority in the Senate and in the Supreme Court.  All because some leftist assholes stayed home the last time instead of voting for an imperfect candidate.  Now it's too late.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2020, 03:30:24 PM
@viper Nope, you're not, it doesn't look like it'll flip soon.

Supposedly the Biden campaign didn't think Texas could possibly flip and he didn't spent much or any time campaigning there, though they did send Kamala.

Yeah and that was a disaster and an embarrassment.

There is plenty to win in Texas but no statewide races are in the cards, pending whatever shift is going on.

I will say the Republican leadership is becoming more unhinged for some reason and out of staters with radical views are taking over key offices. So it might get ugly at the countryside gets ready to take on the cities.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2020, 03:31:54 PM
I really need to take a nap, but I'm scared to wake up and find that actually Wisconsin went to Trump, or something like that.

My work productivity is not great today.

Michigan and PA GOP are trying to disrupt the vote count in their respective states. Trump has declared victory in PA and of course they're counting on the Supreme Court to rule in a way that hands them a victory.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Larch

Trump's campaign is declaring victory in Pennsilvania, where a million votes have not yet been counted.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2020, 03:33:49 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2020, 03:29:58 PM
And honestly, I find these results disapointing.  I really thought I was wrong and Donald Trump would be just a blip on the US political map, but über patriotism and insanity is the future of American politics, I guess.  Too many people like this style of politics, all in the Twitter rage, none on the actions.  People are so easily seduced by a sweet talker that it's depressing.  I fear this model is slowly getting imported over here. :(
I don't think you guys should assume that everyone voting for Trump is in love with him or anything.

A lot of people in 2016 voted for Trump, not because they liked him, but because they despised Hillary and viewed her as an existential threat to the republic.

I don't know if a lot of people voting for Trump in 2020 are mainly voting against Biden, but it seems possible too.
As Biden himself would say: come on! :P

I understand despising a political candidate.  Especially some dumbass politician like Hillary Clinton.

However, If I'm given the choice between the current leader of the Bloc Québécois, a crook suspected of rape, and a Trump clone, I'll go with the alleged rapist crook.  No matter how much I despise that man.  Heck, I voted for the Green Party last time just to send a message to the Conservatives (not that it worked, but I tried, anyway :P ).

People like Trump and he succeeded at making them believe that whatever is not reported by Fox News or the likes of Breitbart is fake news.  People don't even believe he collided with Russians, even after the Republican Senate admitted it.  FFS.  We're all in deep shit right now.

Besides, it goes deeper than just disliking Biden: Republicans are on their way to holding the Senate and making some progress in the house.  Maybe there are missing ballots that could change the issue, I don't know.  I'm in a bad mood right now.  4 more years of roller-coaster on the stock market is extremely bad for my health...

Even more reason to vote Conservative at the next election to get rid of our moronic PM. We need someone strong to assume leadership and can't wait for anything good out of the US.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Quote from: The Larch on November 04, 2020, 03:40:02 PM
Trump's campaign is declaring victory in Pennsilvania, where millions of votes have not yet been counted.
Trump says a lot of things. :sleep:

The Larch

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2020, 03:40:24 PM
Quote from: The Larch on November 04, 2020, 03:40:02 PM
Trump's campaign is declaring victory in Pennsilvania, where millions of votes have not yet been counted.
Trump says a lot of things. :sleep:

It's not Trump himself but his campaign team (the news quote Trump's campaign manager Bill Stepien) and Eric Trump has already tweeted their proclamation of victory as well.

Caliga

You think they're not saying that in a pathetic attempt to lick their master's boots? :D

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2020, 03:33:49 PM

I haven't given this take yet, because I not only am totally consumed by one political topic and I stand almost alone on languish, but I wonder how much covid played into the results as pro gop.

Trump ran a lot of ads with Biden saying he would lock the country down and "listen to the scientists". Especially the latter may sound dumb, and those of us that can work from home and may have some savings may not be terrified by lockdown.

But the vast majority of workers are back on the job and not working from home for some time--going to work isn't the scary option for them. A lot is being made that minorities went to the GOP in bigger numbers than any election since 1960, but it could be that for many the calculation was less "I love Trump's GOP" and more "The GOP may be full of motherfuckers but I need to go to work and my kids need to be in school."

Couple that with the recent unrest and boarding up places for the election...topics are hitting closer to home than they have in other elections.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2020, 03:43:33 PM
You think they're not saying that in a pathetic attempt to lick their master's boots? :D

They've also filed suit to halt the counting of remaining votes in the state.

Zoupa

In the 100 counties with the highest COVID deaths, Trump has 55% of the vote, 5% higher than 4 years ago.

White americans would rather die than let go of white supremacy.  :lmfao:

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2020, 03:10:07 PM
Just wondering, what is the chance that it wasn't polling that was garbage, but vote counting?  We don't know how many ballots are considered voided, do we?  Maybe it's a horrifically high number.

I have a suspicion that the reason is Covid.  The Biden campaign was loath to do the normal things like drag people to the polls on election day out of fear of spreading Covid.  Trump's people had no such fear as they don't seem to value human life.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Zoupa on November 04, 2020, 03:50:31 PM
In the 100 counties with the highest COVID deaths, Trump has 55% of the vote, 5% higher than 4 years ago.

White americans would rather die than let go of white supremacy.  :lmfao:

Maybe those that have the most direct experience with covid know that it isn't worth shutting down over.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014