News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Over here we just entered today on post-lockdown Phase 1, so bars with outdoors tables are now allowed to open up again. A place in my hometown actually opened up right at midnight and a fair number of people were able to take the first post-lockdown drinks, maybe the first ones in the whole country.  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2020, 07:42:38 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 11, 2020, 06:06:12 AM
7 weeks now without having left my apt building.

:blink: Seriously??

I can work from home and have been doing daily exercises in my home. All of groceries are delivered.  I've only been outside to take out the trash/check the mail.

I don't have a car and as noted above no real reason to be out and about outside. I can get some limited sun on my balcony...limited by the amount one is afforded by English weather. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Don't you need air?
And time away from the husband?
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on May 11, 2020, 09:44:38 AM
I don't have a car and as noted above no real reason to be out and about outside. I can get some limited sun on my balcony...limited by the amount one is afforded by English weather. ;)
:lol: Reminds me of the early coronavirus trend of Europeans singing from their balconies and someone from the UK's response, we get it: you all have balconies <_<

I have no balcony and am on the ground floor which is not ideal because I can't even fully open my windows unless I'm in the room (and I can be seen :ph34r:). I am mildly annoyed that the new guidance that you can sit down in parks has only arrived a week after I've been formally discharged off my crutches, but I do plan to wander up to the park with a book (when the sun's out) and just sit and read.

I am very keen to leave the flat :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

I think I've only left my house and garden 3 times since March 23rd. :hmm:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on May 11, 2020, 12:45:24 AM
https://www.denverpost.com/2020/05/10/castle-rock-cc-coffee-reopens-coronavirus/

QuoteCastle Rock restaurant reopens to Mother's Day crowds in defiance of statewide public health order

Another brave strike against the virus-diktat of the nefarious covid-fascists!

Here is an unfortunate side effect of the overbroad restrictions. The risk of spread appears dramatically higher indoors than outdoors. But the restrictions are being publicized without regard to that distinction, and so people fed up with the restrictions disregard them and meet indoors, probably not understanding how much more dangerous that is. That could have been dramatically safer if it was an outdoor venue.

A study reviewed all Wuhan cases involving spread to 3 or more people, and came up with 318 cases with 1,245 people. Every single one was in an indoor environment.

They further noted that they only identified a single situation of outdoor spread to 2 people.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.04.20053058v1
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Malthus

We have been out walking every day. I've found a ton of places I never knew existed around my neighbourhood.

The key, it appears to me, is to go places not crowded by other people, and this has proved easy to do in Toronto. 

For example, a week ago we actually had a nice day for once (the weather this spring has been notoriously shitty here). My wife wanted to go down to the waterfront boardwalk, but one look at that place dissuaded us - too many people, it would be hard to avoid them. So instead we walked around in the neighborhood close to the waterfront. There was literally no-one about. We didn't come within fifty feet of another person. We discovered a whole park system around a large pond I never knew existed there, though it is within walking distance of my house.

The risk was pretty low, a lot less than (say) shopping, as we were stayed far from any people. Though admittedly, we are lucky in that we don't live right downtown, and as a city Toronto is full of ravines and little parks once you are outside of downtown. People don't put houses in them because of what happened to people who did in Hurricane Hazel in the 1950s ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 11, 2020, 09:50:33 AM
:lol: Reminds me of the early coronavirus trend of Europeans singing from their balconies and someone from the UK's response, we get it: you all have balconies <_<

I don't  <_<

My apartment used to have one, but the owner of the building decided to enclose the balconies and thus "enlarge" the size of the apartments (it was already gone when I moved in).

Valmy

QuoteHere is an unfortunate side effect of the overbroad restrictions.

Don't get within 6 feet of people, wear a mask. Sounds pretty loose to me...and tons of people do not even do those things.

I guess what I see are pretty vague and limited restrictions that are not even really being followed. I am doing my best because I want to be a good citizen and neighbor.

I get your business is going under or you are losing your job and you are angry about it and want things to be opened, sure I totally get that and I feel for you, but just wanting to go to some bullshit crowded restaurant? You can't delay that a few weeks? That seems pointless and reckless. I hope everybody there turns out alright.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Agelastus on May 11, 2020, 09:51:43 AM

I think I've only left my house and garden 3 times since March 23rd. :hmm:

Well that's going some, good on you for following the guidance and especially so for Gaby and Shelf, I don't think I could have done that level of commitment.

On reflection, very lucky were I live with good access to countryside, though maybe that has moulded my 'need' to use the outdoors?   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on May 11, 2020, 09:45:40 AM
Don't you need air?

Polluted London air? And I can open the windows / go on the balcony.

We spend most days apart as he works from living room while I've a desk setup in the bedroom.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on May 11, 2020, 10:27:03 AM
QuoteHere is an unfortunate side effect of the overbroad restrictions.

Don't get within 6 feet of people, wear a mask. Sounds pretty loose to me...and tons of people do not even do those things.

I guess what I see are pretty vague and limited restrictions that are not even really being followed. I am doing my best because I want to be a good citizen and neighbor.

I get your business is going under or you are losing your job and you are angry about it and want things to be opened, sure I totally get that and I feel for you, but just wanting to go to some bullshit crowded restaurant? You can't delay that a few weeks? That seems pointless and reckless. I hope everybody there turns out alright.

While it has since been overridden by the governor (over much protest by local officials and consternation nationally), I was recently under an order that if I left my home for anything not defined as essential, I could go to jail for up to a year. Was that vague and limited?

Also, I don't know about where you live, but here much of the national forest and other parks are still closed. That is a very significant portion of the state. Families and communities can't get together in these times--it isn't just a bullshit crowded restaurant. If you can get most of the safety by having the events outdoors without high risk people, that seems good enough.

This also isn't just a few weeks. We are approaching a couple months.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: garbon on May 11, 2020, 10:36:23 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 11, 2020, 09:45:40 AM
Don't you need air?

Polluted London air? And I can open the windows / go on the balcony.

We spend most days apart as he works from living room while I've a desk setup in the bedroom.

Actually I forgot that nature and me are also not friends. I've been on a daily allergy tablet since about lockdown went into effect. On Friday, I was briefly outside until the pollen got to me and I had a minor allergy attack despite medication. <_<

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 11, 2020, 09:50:33 AM

I've been threatening to sing Don't Cry for Me Argentina. :blush: