And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 11, 2020, 12:24:43 PM
Here, gatherings are not permitted.
Yeah same here. You are not allowed to leave your house except for a reasonable excuse (which doesn't include gatherings) and you're not allowed to have a "gathering" with any individual from outside your household.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Today is the first day in which gatherings are allowed in those Spanish regions that went to Phase 1, limit is 10 people, always keeping distances.

merithyn

That's probably wiser, if I'm honest. I suspect a large number of new cases in the next two weeks.

We were extremely cautious because of my high-risk status, but I'm sure most people aren't. I mean, those going to the store aren't, so why would folks in their own backyard be so?

That being said, one of the elder boys will find out next week if he's going to be asked back to work within two weeks. He's a line cook at a brewery restaurant that caters to primarily tourists. My youngest son will start taking blood from people with COVID antibodies at work starting this week. (He works for Grifols.) Seeing them yesterday may be the last time I get to see either of them for months.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Grey Fox

Yes, it sucks.

My kids haven't left my property for more than walks around the closest streets since mid-March.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 11, 2020, 12:36:43 PM
Yes, it sucks.

My kids haven't left my property for more than walks around the closest streets since mid-March.

How old are they now, GF? Are they getting face-time with their teachers?

I have a friend who is a preschool teacher who has "Science Hour with Miss Jamie" on Zoom every day with her preschoolers. Things like cornstarch and water play, etc.

Grey Fox

Quote from: merithyn on May 11, 2020, 12:50:07 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 11, 2020, 12:36:43 PM
Yes, it sucks.

How old are they now, GF? Are they getting face-time with their teachers?

I have a friend who is a preschool teacher who has "Science Hour with Miss Jamie" on Zoom every day with her preschoolers. Things like cornstarch and water play, etc.

6 & 8 turns 9 in 20 days.

No face-time with anyone. The teachers, the school & the government sends emails of work to do. Frankly, it's a lot to manage when I also have to WFH FT & the SO is not here. But I've created a 1h30 routine 5 days a week that at least keeps them going.

Also, Quebec public TV produces a Elementary* kid aimed education show. Every weekday at 10h30. It is pretty good. There's also a High School* one for those kids.

*I have no idea where middle school would fit in the Quebec system.

merithyn

Did I miss something? Where is your SO? :unsure:

Grey Fox

Zanza

R0 in Germany. The red line on 22nd April is the first reduction of lockdown measures.

crazy canuck

Is the upshot of that about 14 days after ending the lockdown the R naught factor increased?

Zanza

Yes. Which by itself does not say anything as obviously the absolute number of cases is also relevant, not just the reproduction factor.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on May 11, 2020, 02:43:23 PM
Yes. Which by itself does not say anything as obviously the absolute number of cases is also relevant, not just the reproduction factor.

gotcha

edit: or I suppose the better response given current social media trends  - thanks, understood.

The Larch

Quote from: merithyn on May 11, 2020, 12:35:05 PM
That's probably wiser, if I'm honest. I suspect a large number of new cases in the next two weeks.

We were extremely cautious because of my high-risk status, but I'm sure most people aren't. I mean, those going to the store aren't, so why would folks in their own backyard be so?

That being said, one of the elder boys will find out next week if he's going to be asked back to work within two weeks. He's a line cook at a brewery restaurant that caters to primarily tourists. My youngest son will start taking blood from people with COVID antibodies at work starting this week. (He works for Grifols.) Seeing them yesterday may be the last time I get to see either of them for months.

Mind you, over here at-risk people are still excluded from part of the new measures. For instance, I can't yet go visit my parents, on account of both of them being at-risk (both for their age, and my father because of previous conditions as well). We could meet in the street, but I can't yet go see them at home.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on May 11, 2020, 06:05:00 PM
Quote from: merithyn on May 11, 2020, 12:35:05 PM

Mind you, over here at-risk people are still excluded from part of the new measures. For instance, I can't yet go visit my parents, on account of both of them being at-risk (both for their age, and my father because of previous conditions as well). We could meet in the street, but I can't yet go see them at home.

Yeah, same here.

Also we are only supposed to increase are circle by one other self contained unit - and only after next week.

The Larch

QuoteUnreleased White House report shows coronavirus rates spiking in heartland communities
Trump's claim that cases are falling everywhere is contradicted by his own task force's report, obtained by NBC News, showing the virus spreading far from the coasts.

Coronavirus infection rates are spiking to new highs in several metropolitan areas and smaller communities across the country, according to undisclosed data the White House's pandemic task force is using to track rates of infection, which was obtained by NBC News.

The data contained in a May 7 coronavirus task force report are at odds with President Donald Trump's Monday declaration that "all throughout the country, the numbers are coming down rapidly."

The top 10 areas saw surges of 72.4 percent or greater over a seven-day period compared to the prior week, according to a set of tables produced for the task force by its Data and Analytics unit. They include Nashville, Tennessee; Des Moines, Iowa; Amarillo, Texas; and — atop the list with a 650 percent increase — Central City, Kentucky.

On a separate list of "locations to watch," which didn't meet the precise criteria for the first set: Charlotte, North Carolina; Kansas City, Missouri; Omaha and Lincoln, Nebraska; Minneapolis, Minnesota; Montgomery, Alabama; Columbus, Ohio; and Phoenix, Arizona. The rate of new cases in Charlotte and Kansas City represented an increase of more than 200 percent over the prior week, and other tables included in the data show clusters in neighboring counties that don't form a geographic area on their own, like Wisconsin's Kenosha and Racine counties, which neighbor each other between Chicago and Milwaukee.

So far, more than 80,000 people in the U.S. have died because of the coronavirus, and the rate of new cases overall has not yet subsided. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that there were 23,792 new cases on May 10 — lower than the number for each of the previous four days but more than on May 4 and May 5.

The spiking infection rates suggest that the pandemic is spreading quickly outside major coastal population centers that were early hot spots, while governors of some of the states that are home to new hot spots are following Trump's advice to relax stay-at-home restrictions.

Missouri, Kentucky, Alabama, Iowa, Nebraska and Tennessee, for example, have no stay-at-home orders, according to a task force map. In other states where restrictions are being put in place or repealed at the local level, some counties are experiencing surges. Dallas and Fort Bend counties in Texas, where decisions are made locally, are on a "locations to watch" list because they have seen an increase in the number of cases of 116.8 percent and 64.8 percent, respectively.

On Monday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., whose state included the nation's highest-surging geographic area, said he has "felt no urgency" for Congress to approve another coronavirus response bill.