News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on May 11, 2020, 10:39:02 AM
While it has since been overridden by the governor (over much protest by local officials and consternation nationally), I was recently under an order that if I left my home for anything not defined as essential, I could go to jail for up to a year. Was that vague and limited?

Also, I don't know about where you live, but here much of the national forest and other parks are still closed. That is a very significant portion of the state. Families and communities can't get together in these times--it isn't just a bullshit crowded restaurant.

Did people actually follow such an order? Was it actually enforced? Anyway how can you say what is happening in Boulder Colorado be the natural result of something that happened in your local area? Did some Georgians drive out to Colorado?

If families want to get together they can easily gather together at somebody's house or backyard and not link with dozens of strangers at a restaurant. I mean come on!

QuoteIf you can get most of the safety by having the events outdoors without high risk people, that seems good enough.

Can you though? Besides it is not like this kind of thing is only happening in outdoors locations.

And yes we are coming on two months in some areas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

FFS could we not spend 5 pages every day having the exact same conversation with Dorsey?

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on May 11, 2020, 10:51:05 AM
FFS could we not spend 5 pages every day having the exact same conversation with Dorsey?

I think the least we could do is go outside and have the conversation there instead.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Sorry.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on May 11, 2020, 10:52:25 AM

I think the least we could do is go outside and have the conversation there instead.  :P

I am currently posting from my porch  :lol:

Grey Fox

I think we need a summary page/post of our local restrictions. We assume too much is like where you are.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

I am on 24h lockdown. I need to ask permission from the guards to take a leak. Don't know how much this is related to Covid-19 though.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

My son had us over for a Mother's Day gathering yesterday. There were never more than eight people there at any given time, and we stayed at least six-feet apart throughout the day. I was the only non-household member allowed in the house as the boys could pee outside. We hung out in their backyard for about 3.5 hours, then I left without hugs. We ordered pizza at one point, with one person at a time allowed at the table.

It was strange. Nice, under the circumstances, but strange.

Other than my youngest son, who had a negative COVID test on Thursday, and his girlfriend, everyone else has been on lockdown for two months. My son who hosted has five housemates, and they each take turns going to the store as needed, so in the last eight weeks, none of them have gone to the store but once. Otherwise, they've hung out in their yard or house. I have been grocery shopping for 40-60 minutes once a week except for Saturday, when I ran several errands then went for a 5-mile hike. I wasn't within 2 meters of anyone during that whole sojourn, and I wore a mask the whole time, too.

We were still very careful. Because that's what we're supposed to do.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on May 11, 2020, 10:48:04 AM
Did people actually follow such an order? Was it actually enforced?
Putting out unenforced draconian orders is hardly adding clarity to the situation.

Sheilbh

While it has since been overridden by the governor (over much protest by local officials and consternation nationally), I was recently under an order that if I left my home for anything not defined as essential, I could go to jail for up to a year. Was that vague and limited?
One interesting thing in that UK guidance is it basically says enforcement will increase as the lockdown measures decrease. So at the minute the fine is, I think, under £100. It's going to increase to, I think, £1,200 and then increase again as the lockdown measures are eased. The theory is that basically when everyone's staying at home, someone breaking the guidelines is bad but is unlikely to have a big impact because everyone will be at home. As we start to ease out of lockdown the impact is likely to be higher because there'll be more people around, so if people break the guidelines with a large gathering, for example, they're far more likely to infect others as things open up.

I also wonder if there'sa bit of psychology going on too - in that lockdown is relatively easy and there'll be no need to really highlight the people breaking the rules. As I said before I think policing leaving lockdown is going to be far more difficult than policing lockdown, so the powers actually need a bit of teeth.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on May 11, 2020, 11:13:21 AM
My son had us over for a Mother's Day gathering yesterday. There were never more than eight people there at any given time, and we stayed at least six-feet apart throughout the day. I was the only non-household member allowed in the house as the boys could pee outside. We hung out in their backyard for about 3.5 hours, then I left without hugs. We ordered pizza at one point, with one person at a time allowed at the table.

Other than my youngest son, who had a negative COVID test on Thursday, and his girlfriend, everyone else has been on lockdown for two months. My son who hosted has five housemates, and they each take turns going to the store as needed, so in the last eight weeks, none of them have gone to the store but once. Otherwise, they've hung out in their yard or house. I have been grocery shopping for 40-60 minutes once a week except for Saturday, when I ran several errands then went for a 5-mile hike. I wasn't within 2 meters of anyone during that whole sojourn, and I wore a mask the whole time, too.

:)

Good going Meri, it's tricky isn't it, but as you also say rather weird.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Quote from: merithyn on May 11, 2020, 11:13:21 AM

See, this is what I mean. Here this would mean 1600$ fine for everyone involved.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on May 11, 2020, 10:48:04 AM

Also, I don't know about where you live, but here much of the national forest and other parks are still closed. That is a very significant portion of the state. Families and communities can't get together in these times--it isn't just a bullshit crowded restaurant.

Did people actually follow such an order? Was it actually enforced? Anyway how can you say what is happening in Boulder Colorado be the natural result of something that happened in your local area? Did some Georgians drive out to Colorado?

If families want to get together they can easily gather together at somebody's house or backyard and not link with dozens of strangers at a restaurant. I mean come on!

QuoteIf you can get most of the safety by having the events outdoors without high risk people, that seems good enough.

Can you though? Besides it is not like this kind of thing is only happening in outdoors locations.

And yes we are coming on two months in some areas.

Jesus Valmy, I just posted a link to a scientific study and a summary of the results. 318 cases of transmissions to 3 or more people were identified, and in EVERY SINGLE ONE it was indoors.

They found 1 case of transmission outdoors to 2 people.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 11, 2020, 12:06:46 PM

See, this is what I mean. Here this would mean 1600$ fine for everyone involved.

We were well within state and CDC guidelines. State says no more than 25 in your home/yard. CDC says no more than 10. We stayed well outside the 6-foot bubble, and wore masks.

All of that is not only within the letter but the spirit of the laws in place right now.

Why would anyone be fined?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Grey Fox

Quote from: merithyn on May 11, 2020, 12:23:56 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 11, 2020, 12:06:46 PM

We were well within state and CDC guidelines. State says no more than 25 in your home/yard. CDC says no more than 10. We stayed well outside the 6-foot bubble, and wore masks.

All of that is not only within the letter but the spirit of the laws in place right now.

Why would anyone be fined?

Here, gatherings are not permitted.