News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I can't believe this.  He's going to fucking kill us.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

ONS have now released data for deaths up to 1 May and after a slight fall in excess deaths the previous week it's now falling quite sharply in all regions, some stronger than others - but still 8,000 higher than average. It was the first week that London didn't have the most covid-19 deaths, the South-East and North-West had more deaths.

Deaths in care homes are declining but the proportion that are covid-19 has increased and it is still falling slower there than in hospitals. We've mentioned before people moved from hospitals into care homes without testing who may have had covid-19, but I also wonder how many of the deaths were actually people who didn't but were moved out of ICU to create capacity. But it definitely looks like it peaked in hospitals in early April, then in care homes a week later and only started to properly fally at the end of the month.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on May 11, 2020, 10:14:33 PM
I can't believe this.  He's going to fucking kill us.

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll be able to blame it on liberals and foreigners. :hug:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 12, 2020, 04:42:40 AM
ONS have now released data for deaths up to 1 May and after a slight fall in excess deaths the previous week it's now falling quite sharply in all regions, some stronger than others - but still 8,000 higher than average. It was the first week that London didn't have the most covid-19 deaths, the South-East and North-West had more deaths.

Deaths in care homes are declining but the proportion that are covid-19 has increased and it is still falling slower there than in hospitals. We've mentioned before people moved from hospitals into care homes without testing who may have had covid-19, but I also wonder how many of the deaths were actually people who didn't but were moved out of ICU to create capacity. But it definitely looks like it peaked in hospitals in early April, then in care homes a week later and only started to properly fally at the end of the month.

I think the care home deaths are going to decline because it will have swept through all of them soon. :(

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on May 12, 2020, 05:00:46 AM
I think the care home deaths are going to decline because it will have swept through all of them soon. :(
In a way I think it's worse. Depending on the region around 70-60% of care homes haven't had covid-19 cases. Even the care homes that never had a case will have had more deaths because people who would, normally be in ICU were discharged early.

But if covid-19 gets into that environment, it's just unbelievably brutal. But all of those covid-19 deaths were in a minority of care homes, which must have been horrendous to live and work in. You can't imagine that there was ever one with a case that didn't go on to kill a number of residents.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

So I have a mask. And another lockdown haircut.

I look a lot more fascist than I'd hoped for :ph34r: :(
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

My hair is long and flowing, like hippie hair.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Spain's R number plotted against mobility (gathered from cell phone data)

You can see the regional data and some foreign countries (like US or the UK) here: https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020-05-01/asi-evoluciona-la-nueva-curva-del-coronavirus-movilidad-frente-a-contagios-la-batalla-en-la-vuelta-a-la-vida-normal.html

Tamas

mongers

The axis of the stupid continues to prevail:

QuoteBolsonaro allows Brazilians to go to the gym as coronavirus cases surge

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro on Monday declared gyms and hair salons as essential services that can stay open through the new coronavirus outbreak, easing measures to control the disease despite new cases and deaths surging in the country.
Source Reuters.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Brazen

As of tomorrow we can visit a park and sit still (before we could only leave the house for exercise or essential shopping and medical purposes). We can meet just one person from another household and sit 2m from them. So if you have two parents who live together but separate from you, you can meet just one of them, and only in a park, not their garden. And you can travel to exercise. But not to Wales or Scotland because they haven't relaxed their rules. And we're "advised" to wear masks in enclosed spaces. And if you can't work from home you should go back to work. But not on public transport.  :huh:

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on May 12, 2020, 10:39:37 AM
As of tomorrow we can visit a park and sit still (before we could only leave the house for exercise or essential shopping and medical purposes). We can meet just one person from another household and sit 2m from them. So if you have two parents who live together but separate from you, you can meet just one of them, and only in a park, not their garden. And you can travel to exercise. But not to Wales or Scotland because they haven't relaxed their rules. And we're "advised" to wear masks in enclosed spaces. And if you can't work from home you should go back to work. But not on public transport.  :huh:

Are you accusing this government and BoJo, our saviour, of giving imprecise and confusing instructions/advice?   :hmm:

mongers

Another 600+ deaths in the UK announced today, given that's 3+ times the current Spanish and Italian rate, still think it's too early to be 'encouraging' the population to get out and about.

Brazen

Quote from: mongers on May 12, 2020, 11:15:19 AM
Another 600+ deaths in the UK announced today, given that's 3+ times the current Spanish and Italian rate, still think it's too early to be 'encouraging' the population to get out and about.
50,000 total according to these stats. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52623141

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on May 12, 2020, 09:03:20 AM
Dorsey disapproves.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Making the point that some of the extreme measures (closing parks/outdoor areas, limiting outdoor exercise to once a day) were stupid and would backfire is not the same as arguing for unrestrained disease spread.

Hell--I was pointing out masks would prevent the spread of covid while your country was going after companies selling them online.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014