Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on April 14, 2020, 03:06:23 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 14, 2020, 09:15:00 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2020, 06:28:37 AM
Quote from: katmai on April 14, 2020, 05:12:42 AM
I preface this by saying I know the USA has woeful testing numbers but am I reading that the fatality rate of reported cases is like 4.0%

Currently the US is 4.04%, however NYC has been having like two hundred excess deaths a day at home over the norm every day. So, yeah, it's probably artificially low.

It is way too high. I keep offering to make you bets on this stuff, and yet you just ignore me. I'm happy to make you a bet on this, and you can propose the terms this time.

I'm beginning to worry that you don't believe your own hype.  :(

More likely we've stopped paying attention to anything you're saying on this topic.

Both you and Tim responded to that post, so that doesn't seem likely at all, actually.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2020, 03:25:26 PM
The Spanish Health Institute has plotted Covid infections against local temperature.

On the Y there's infections per 100,000 and on the X average temperature.
To be honest I'm not seeing much of a pattern there. I think the canaries can be fairly discarded as an outlier due to their island status.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I don't know, I think there's something in it. Both archipelagos have set up mini-Madagascars so they are indeed outliers (yet both had the first confirmed cases in Spain, given their high influx of tourists), but Andalucía had the first confirmed cases of local transmission and never exploded like other places did.

Nobody says the virus will just disappear with the heat, just that it might be slowed down.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2020, 02:55:15 PM
Any yanquis gotten their McConnel money yet?  Read an article says they've just started.

I got it and it's gone! My creditors got a bit of a windfall.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: mongers on April 14, 2020, 05:34:32 PM
trump stops funding WHO, what a tool.
Remember, everything is always someone else's fault.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

When the finger points your way, turn the dial and point it elsewhere.

I really despise this creature who leads my country. :mad:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on April 14, 2020, 06:18:00 PM

When the finger points your way, turn the dial and point it elsewhere.

I really despise this creature who leads my country. :mad:

Don't worry Meri, it could be a lot worse. :unsure:

mongers

Whilst on the subject of right-wing demagogues, this virus needs to get a hold of Brazil's Bolsonaro eradicate him, otherwise the 'example' being set by him will kill many more hundreds, if not thousands of Brazilians.

Oexmelin

Rumors from Brazil is that the Health minister is mounting a considerable challenge to Bolsonaro, whose embrace of stupid has actually shaken his support among the military... 
Que le grand cric me croque !

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on April 14, 2020, 06:38:48 PM
Whilst on the subject of right-wing demagogues, this virus needs to get a hold of Brazil's Bolsonaro eradicate him, otherwise the 'example' being set by him will kill many more hundreds, if not thousands of Brazilians.

Karma!!!!  :o Take it back, quick...
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 14, 2020, 07:36:37 PM
Rumors from Brazil is that the Health minister is mounting a considerable challenge to Bolsonaro, whose embrace of stupid has actually shaken his support among the military...

Anything has to be better than him.

In other dictator news, mini-trump has overseen the arrest of 26,000 Philippineos  curfew violators, who have now been rammed into one the most crowded prison systems in the world. :rolleyes:

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 14, 2020, 05:37:58 PM
Remember, everything is always someone else's fault.

That has been Trump's MO since the 1980s.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."